PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DWP611 Compact Router Question

John Hollaway
06-22-2021, 9:29 PM
I have several of the 611s in the stable, and enjoy using them very much, especially with larger aftermarket sub-bases. However, the vinyl-protected rocker switches are a pain for those of us with numb or sore fingers. So I'd like to know if anyone here in the collective has successfully replaced the rocker switches with regular toggle switches, and if so, any learned tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Becker
06-23-2021, 9:07 AM
Interesting that the DW611 doesn't have the same toggle switches that the DW618 that I own does. You might reach out to Dewalt (Stanley Black and Decker) and ask if that switch might be compatible.

John Hollaway
06-23-2021, 9:54 AM
Good idea. Thanks

Paul F Franklin
06-23-2021, 2:10 PM
Toggle switches are generally quite a bit larger physically than equal rated slide or rocker switches because of the room needed for the pivot point and internal actuator. My guess is they went to the rocker because they didn't have room in the smaller router for a bigger switch.

You could cut off the vinyl, but then you will likely have dust get into the switch and cause early failure.

What about using a remote controlled outlet and plug the router into that? A foot switch would be another option but somehow that seems little dangerous for a tool like a router....

John Hollaway
06-24-2021, 1:07 PM
Thanks Paul. Good ideas both.

Alex Zeller
06-24-2021, 1:12 PM
If you take it apart you may find the cover is not actually part of the switch. You should be able to go to one of the repair sites that sell parts for the router and see the parts breakout and see if the switch and cover are two different part numbers.

Osvaldo Cristo
06-24-2021, 5:22 PM
Perhaps you can use it with a switched power cable extension. You can find, included, power extension cable switched by foot.

Mike Henderson
06-24-2021, 5:53 PM
Perhaps you can use it with a switched power cable extension. You can find, included, power extension cable switched by foot.

That's a good idea. Some people use their router with a foot switch.

Mike

John Hollaway
06-25-2021, 4:56 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas, everyone.