PDA

View Full Version : HELP. Need a new chainsaw chain. Stihl MS180

Dave Lehnert
06-21-2021, 9:00 PM
Don't have much experience buying a replacement chain for my chainsaw.

I have gave up on my Stihl dealer after lack of service on my ZTR. Went to another dealer and after a big storm was all sold out. Trying to buy something aftermarket on line but not sure what I need to search for. It is a 14". Think it is a thin kirf blade.

Bruce King
06-21-2021, 9:31 PM
Here is an exact fit

Stan Coryell
06-21-2021, 10:24 PM
Bruce got it. A regular mower shop should be able to make what you need. The place I use to go to didn't sell pre cut length. Just another option.

Tom M King
06-22-2021, 8:09 AM
I'd be surprised if any shop kept a whole spool of .043 to make up loops with. You can probably even buy then at Lowes. You need to know the number of links, or it might say for Stihl 14" bar.

On the larger chains, different makes of saws use different numbers of drive links for the same length bar. Not sure about these. The "50" on your bar is the number of links.

There are online shops, like Bailey's, that would have them in stock, and probably even on ebay. By the time you pay for the free shipping, it would probably be cheaper from a dealer. Our Ace hardware is a homeowner saw dealer, so they keep the loops in stock.

Jim Becker
06-22-2021, 9:00 AM
I buy from Bailey's online...typically Oregon chain. But you can just take your bar with you to any local shop so they can match things up.

Don't overlook considering replacing the bar if it's been in service for a long time. They are also "disposables" and wear.

Peter Kelly
06-22-2021, 9:57 AM
This would work too for about 1/2 the price of Stihl: https://www.forestershop.com/forester-38-043-gauge-non-safety-semi-chisel-chainsaw-chain-wn4c.html

I do admit, Oilomatic saw chain is about the best out there though. Stays sharp much longer than the others.

Bruce King
06-22-2021, 11:09 AM
I think all bars can be flipped top to bottom since the bottom wears out first.

Tom M King
06-22-2021, 12:04 PM
I flip all mine every time a chain is changed.

Jim Becker
06-22-2021, 7:48 PM
Flipping likely helps the moving parts at the tip of the bar, too. If I invariably have to replace a bar, it's because those moving parts decide they no longer want to move normally. :)

Dave Lehnert
06-23-2021, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.

I was confused on what the number were all about.
I could find 14 in chain, correct width but different number links.

Tom M King
06-24-2021, 8:11 AM
Amazon has them, even. search for .043 gauge, 50 links chainsaw chain. The Stihl brand is probably double what some cheaper ones cost, but you know it will work.

The only particular model of chain that lasts as long as the Stihl, that I have found, is Oregon 72 EXL. I run it on my larger saws, because they're hot rodded, and I run a larger sprocket than stock, so the stock loops don't fit anyway. I'm not sure that it comes in .043 gauge though.

Even those little chains come with different shapes of cutters. I just buy the Stihl chain for my 180. Mine is on its third chain, and the saw seems to be running stronger than ever.

Mike Soaper
06-24-2021, 8:49 AM
Most chainsaw chains are primarily for crosscutting, but you can also get ripping chains.

lowell holmes
06-24-2021, 11:04 AM
I go to Lowes and Home Depot, check their stock and likely go home with a new toy ere, tool.

I like to pick it up and see how it feels in my hand. Why don't you check this link.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US739G0&p=chain+saw

Jim Becker
06-24-2021, 12:50 PM
He has a nice existing Stihl chainsaw and is s looking for replacement chain, Lowell.

Stephen L King
06-24-2021, 1:39 PM
Why not just have the chain sharpened. There is a lot of life left in those cutters.

Tom M King
06-24-2021, 5:16 PM
Good point. I didn't even look at the picture. When I change a chain, it's because the teeth are mostly gone from getting dull, and being sharpened. The cutter can get down close to about 1/8 to 3/16's long.

If you're going to run a chain saw, you need to know how to sharpen a chain. I sharpen at least every couple of tanks of fuel. It's much easier on your arm if each tooth needs 2 or 3 strokes of the file, than if it gets dull enough to need 7. That chain probably needs 7 strokes per tooth. Any time someone, including some who run a saw for a living, their chain is dull enough to need 6 or 7 strokes per tooth. It always amazes me how many people, who run a saw for part of their living, aren't so good at sharpening a chain.

A sharp chain is much easier on the operator too. You have to fight a dull chain, and it's hard on the saw too. I try to never let the chain hit the ground, but if it does, the chain gets whetted the next fill up.

I learned how to sharpen a chain, before I ever tried to sharpen a handsaw. The feel for the file learned on a chain made the switch to a handsaw pretty easy.

If you are right handed, sharpen the right cutters first. If the left cutters are sharp, and your hand slips sharpening the right cutters, it's Very easy to slice a knuckle.

On a chain, you push straight back into the curve of the cutter, as opposed to sharpening a handsaw where you mostly push down. Tighten the chain first, before sharpening it.

If you have to take one somewhere else to get it sharpened, you might as well not bother running a saw. Even the guys that ask me to sharpen their saws, who run one for their living, try to sharpen themselves, but just aren't so good at it. They usually get the angle different on each side, and get the cutters different lengths. The Stihl chains have a little indicator groove on each tooth, that shows you the angle.

After several sharpenings, the depth gauges need to be lowered. There are gauges for different depths, that sit on the chain, and limit the depth a file can cut them down. They make special depth gauge flat files, with no teeth on the edges, so they won't cut the cutting edge of a tooth.

That .043 gauge chain takes a 5/32" round file. Depth gauge clearance is .025.

Here's a video of me running a hot rodded 92 cc saw. The 180, which I also have a stock one of, is a 32cc saw. This saw in the video is pulling a 10 tooth sprocket. The chain is a well used Oregon 72EXL, with the depth gauges lowered to .035. I don't push one hard. Just clearing some blow down trees off our trails. This was a 10, or 11 inch Silver Maple. A little embarrassed with the chain pinch, and no tan at the end of Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2cdN53BxGs

I didn't know what we were going to run into that day, so I took the 180, and the 066. The pile of brush you see at the first of that video is the limbs cut off that tree with the 180. It's a nice little limbing saw. The old WRX makes a fun farm vehicle.

Dave Lehnert
06-25-2021, 12:00 AM
Why not just have the chain sharpened. There is a lot of life left in those cutters.

I have sharpened it in the past. Have been clearing out a fence line and for some reason they dont do well with chain-link fence. :o

Dave Lehnert
06-25-2021, 12:09 AM
He has a nice existing Stihl chainsaw and is s looking for replacement chain, Lowell.

The Stihl is a nice size saw but I had it to the dealer twice not long after purchase. They had to put bigger jets in to keep it running but now foul plugs. Have to keep a spare on hands. Also had a Stihl weed trimmer that was hard to keep running.
I am an Echo fan but purchased a Stihl just because I liked the overall size vs the like Echo model. Have an Echo weed trimmer that around 10 years old and never a problem other than a spool replacement

Tom M King
06-25-2021, 8:25 AM
It sounds like that dealer didn't know what they were doing.

One thing I have found with my 180, is that it clogs the spark arrester screen pretty quickly. I think maybe every half gallon of fuel, or so. The screen is in the outlet of the muffler. There is a single screw holding it in. Take it out, hold it with an old pair of pliers, and heat it red hot with a propane torch. Once it cools, the gunk has turned to ash. Rub it between fingers of an old glove, put it back in, and it should run fine. They have to be able to breathe out as well as breathe in.

Larger jets don't make sense for that saw. I would expect it to foul plugs.

Jim Becker
06-25-2021, 8:37 AM
The Stihl is a nice size saw but I had it to the dealer twice not long after purchase. They had to put bigger jets in to keep it running but now foul plugs. Have to keep a spare on hands. Also had a Stihl weed trimmer that was hard to keep running.
I am an Echo fan but purchased a Stihl just because I liked the overall size vs the like Echo model. Have an Echo weed trimmer that around 10 years old and never a problem other than a spool replacement

That's strange...my Stihl 290 (farm boss) has been utterly reliable for a couple decades. Even if I haven't used it for many months, it doesn't take much to get it started for the first time and after that, it's one pull. It's never needed professional service and the only thing I've replaced has been the bar from time to time as well as chain.

Tony Zona
06-29-2021, 3:15 PM
Boy, Dave,

You'd think chain saw would cut chain link. They just don't make them like they used to.

:)

lowell holmes
06-29-2021, 4:28 PM
They sell chains as well. It does not take much time to shop at Home Depot and Lowes.
They both sell top quality merchandise, and if they don't have what you're looking for
they will order it.

Houston is a big place and sometimes you can save time at the BORG.

Peter Kelly
06-30-2021, 12:27 PM
That's strange...my Stihl 290 (farm boss) has been utterly reliable for a couple decades. Even if I haven't used it for many months, it doesn't take much to get it started for the first time and after that, it's one pull. It's never needed professional service and the only thing I've replaced has been the bar from time to time as well as chain.Stihl has a plant in China now and the older homeowner-type saws don't have as many or any parts from Quingdao on them. https://en.stihl-qd.cn/stihl-qingdao.aspx

Jim Becker
06-30-2021, 3:05 PM
Peter, that's not unusual for any company at this point...supply chain and manufacturing is global. But I'd certainly be annoyed if something like this wasn't generally reliable for sure, given the price points.