PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro

Pat Jeddy
01-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi, I'm Pat and I'm a woodturner.

Seriously, I've been lurking here for more than a few months and finally joined. This is the first turning post I've submitted on the Internet 'cause all the folks on this forum seem very cool, kind and understanding. And extremely helpful. I've been turning for about 9 months, and I already convinced DH that I needed a bigger lathe than the Jet mini (non VS). Got a DVR, it's small enough for my space, but big enough to do some pretty big pieces in the future. I love it! When I get brave, I'll post some pics of my work that didn't explode, crack, or otherwise grow a hole where there shouldn't be one.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and I look forward to participating in future discussions.

Bill Stevener
01-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Pat,
Welcome to the Creek, and the round side.

I'm Bill, the one Carole is picking on this evening.:D

Hay, your just going to love it hear, just one great bunch, just jump right in any time, and can't wait to see some photos.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Pat - Welcome! I'm not a turner, but I play one on SMC. I lived in Vallejo and worked in Benicia for a spell, so I know Antioch well. I do miss the Bay Area but not the heat!

Looking forward to seeing and learning about your efforts.

See guys! I can be nice:D

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Welcome Pat, I am not new to the forum but a iam a total newbie as far as turning! Anyway, hope you have fun here!

Corey

Cecil Arnold
01-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the creek Pat. To wise you up on some of these guys, Andy will occasionally tell a fib, Cory will be a turning fool in a month, and there is another person here named Ken who is a closet turner but just doesn't know it yet. It's a great bunch on the dark side.

Pat Jeddy
01-11-2006, 1:01 AM
Andy, I like your pup, Golden or Labby? Oh, and Vallejo and Benicia are no match for Antioch in July.

We moved from Alameda 5 years ago where a good summer day meant 70 deg. until 4:30pm when the fog would make its way over the bay and into our backyard. then it was 55 and all barbeques, golf rounds etc. would go to heck. I was born there. But we LOVE the heat. Our pups, Chester the Lab and Sydney the Australian Shepherd love the heat and the POOL!!!! And so it goes.

John Hart
01-11-2006, 6:12 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pat!! Unlike most of these people, I am in a constant state of wondering what I am doing. But, everyone is helpful and I get to sponge off their seemingly limitless knowledge.

...Oh...and I kinda like Andy the way he is. Is there something wrong with me? :confused: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2006, 6:26 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pat! I'll warn you against turning any exotics! ;) These folks are always turning exotics or sprinkling "oregano" on their brownies again.:confused: Something's going on!:rolleyes: They're having too much fun for a group not doing something...if you know what I mean! :rolleyes: I'm sure the guys with the jackets that have extra long sleeves that tie neatly behind the wearer will be here shortly!:rolleyes: And for the record....I'm not a closet turner.......I haven't even finished the closet yet!:D Again....Welcome!

Ron Mitchell
01-11-2006, 6:35 AM
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the Creek,

I'm a newbie also, been doing woodworking for only 2 years. I stumbled onto this forum and found a great bunch of people here willing to share & learn from each other. We all love to see PHOTOS!!

I can't wait to see some of you projects:)

Travis Stinson
01-11-2006, 7:07 AM
Welcome aboard Pat. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.:cool:
Don't let Andy fool you!;) :D

tod evans
01-11-2006, 7:08 AM
welcome pat.

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 8:12 AM
Welcome, Pat!!

Keith Burns
01-11-2006, 8:18 AM
Welcome Pat ! There is one main rule here, if there are no photos, it didn't happen:eek: . I know you'll enjoy you stay here in the dark side.:)

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 8:31 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pat, you will love your DVR the more you use it.:D

Mark Cothren
01-11-2006, 8:32 AM
Howdy Pat - welcome!

Glenn Hodges
01-11-2006, 8:48 AM
Welcome Pat, glad you jumped in the Creek with both feet, now post some work so we can all get personal with it.

Mike Ramsey
01-11-2006, 8:52 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pat!!

Tyler Howell
01-11-2006, 9:01 AM
Welcome Pat, We're really not as great as we say we are:rolleyes: .....We're better. Glad to have you in the creek We're skating on it up here.

Carole Valentine
01-11-2006, 9:02 AM
Hi Pat! Welcome to the Creek.:) You are right about where I am in turning. I turned my first bowl in March of 2005 on a Mini and in September I got my DVR. You'll love it here...all you need is a sense of humor and a desire to turn. Oh and a camera, since we like PICTURES!:D

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Andy, I like your pup, Golden or Labby? Oh, and Vallejo and Benicia are no match for Antioch in July.

We moved from Alameda 5 years ago where a good summer day meant 70 deg. until 4:30pm when the fog would make its way over the bay and into our backyard. then it was 55 and all barbeques, golf rounds etc. would go to heck. I was born there. But we LOVE the heat. Our pups, Chester the Lab and Sydney the Australian Shepherd love the heat and the POOL!!!! And so it goes.

Archie is 100% golden, which also means that she's 100% dumber than a box of rocks. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Amen to the heat. We actually thought about Antioch for a while, until we factored in the heat.

Lloyd Frisbee
01-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Welcome Pat! I am just a little southwest of you.

Lloyd
San Jose,CA
Silicon Valley Woodturners