PDA

View Full Version : How to set tool in handle?

Jim Dunn
01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Looking at the P/N tools on LV site I have a question. How do you set the tool in the handle? Is it epoxied in place? Do you put, or need, a ferel on the handle? Just asking as they look like a good place to start a set of tools and get the enjoyment of turning a set of handles to boot.

Jim

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Here is how I made a handle for My 5/8 P&N gouge

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18866
But if you want to make a wood one just use a piece of copper coupling or pipe for the ferel, you will need one to keep the wood from busting out during use. Just taper the end of the handle where the ferel goes on, smaller at the tool end and bigger as you go back to the butt end. I dont use glue just make your hole so the tang has a tight fit.

John Hart
01-11-2006, 6:31 AM
Nice method Jim K! Looks like it's pretty heavy and easy to control. I really enjoy doing my own tools. Kinda adds to the experience in my opinion. Jim D....I haven't shipped to you yet so I'll add some nice Ash handle Blanks as well. ;)

Raymond Overman
01-11-2006, 7:47 AM
Nice handle there Jim. I like it a lot.

I use a 1" copper coupling for my P&N bowl gouge with a hickory handle. Unlike Jim, I did use a little CA to ensure the gouge didn't move in my handle. The key if you do use CA is drill a small hole perpendicular at the base of the hole the tool goes in to allow for air/CA to escape. That way the CA doesn't create a seal and push the tool back out of the handle.

You'll want to use a jacobs chuck mounted in your tailstock morse taper to drill the hole for the tool so that it's aligned correctly.

I like the P&N gouges by the way. The 5/8 gouge with a very long grind is my go to tool for bowls. I'll see about posting a picture this evening.

Carole Valentine
01-11-2006, 8:56 AM
I use the copper ferrules as well. On one of my mini tools though, the drill rod I used kept breaking free of the CA and would twist in the handle so I used epoxy and roughed up the end with sandpaper. That held fine. I also love my Hosaluk handle.