PDA

View Full Version : Why did I save this?

dennis thompson
06-18-2021, 1:41 PM
Like many on this website I subscribe to the " you never know when you might need this " so I save way too much stuff. Today I think I took it to the extreme. We has a new door installed , the white door bell worked fine but didn't look right so I put in a new black one and I SAVED THE OLD ONE! :confused::eek:

Bruce Page
06-18-2021, 1:48 PM
I used to do the same thing, a lot. I will be going through a box 2 years later and say "why did I save this" and toss it. Sometimes saving oddball things pays off, but not often.
I've gotten better..

Jim Koepke
06-18-2021, 3:34 PM
One day there is going to be a big yard sale and all that old stuff will go home with someone else. That is one justification used by Candy and me.

jtk

Doug Garson
06-18-2021, 4:11 PM
Like many on this website I subscribe to the " you never know when you might need this " so I save way too much stuff. Today I think I took it to the extreme. We has a new door installed , the white door bell worked fine but didn't look right so I put in a new black one and I SAVED THE OLD ONE! :confused::eek:
I probably would have painted the old white one black if it still worked, otherwise yes it would be added to the pile of "this might come in handy some day pile" anyone know when the next "some day" is? My pile is getting pretty big.

Stan Calow
06-18-2021, 4:13 PM
Saving the old one? Yes. Its finding it again when I do need it thats the problem.

Bob Coates
06-18-2021, 6:44 PM
Ditto, also where did I put that 5 min ago....

Bob

Myk Rian
06-18-2021, 9:24 PM
Saving the old one? Yes. Its finding it again when I do need it thats the problem.

Ditto, also where did I put that 5 min ago....

Bob

Been there enough times.

Bert Kemp
06-18-2021, 10:28 PM
every time you by a new Phone, camera, dash cam what ever they all come with new cables, I have a box with tons of cables , usb jacks, hubs all kinds of stuff I'll never use , do I dare throw them out , noway LOL :eek:

Jim Koepke
06-20-2021, 9:42 AM
every time you by a new Phone, camera, dash cam what ever they all come with new cables, I have a box with tons of cables , usb jacks, hubs all kinds of stuff I'll never use , do I dare throw them out , noway LOL :eek:

Every once in a while when digging through stuff an old desktop switch box turns up. It was for use with a Macintosh model that was obsolete over 30 years ago. There is another box that should be tossed with some old parallel printer cables, RS-232 cables and some cables that are unlikely to be identified by any living person.

It seems the only ones that are still in use after all these years are the ones with the infamous RCA jacks or stereo headphone jacks on their ends.

jtk

Brian Elfert
06-21-2021, 12:27 PM
One of my issues with getting rid of stuff is not wanting to pay to recycle electronic waste. Best Buy will take electronics for recycling, but they aren't going to take something like a broken LED taillight. State law technically requires that an LED taillight be recycled because it has a PCB in it. I know most people would probably just toss it in the trash.

Stan Calow
06-21-2021, 2:20 PM
One of my issues with getting rid of stuff is not wanting to pay to recycle electronic waste. Best Buy will take electronics for recycling, but they aren't going to take something like a broken LED taillight. State law technically requires that an LED taillight be recycled because it has a PCB in it. I know most people would probably just toss it in the trash.
Same with smoke detectors that have a tiny piece of radioactive material in them (Americium 241)

dennis thompson
06-22-2021, 5:39 PM
My 5 pair of safety glasses were old and scratched so I ordered a dozen new ones and I SAVED THE OLD ONES!!!!

Curt Harms
06-23-2021, 8:55 AM
Every once in a while when digging through stuff an old desktop switch box turns up. It was for use with a Macintosh model that was obsolete over 30 years ago. There is another box that should be tossed with some old parallel printer cables, RS-232 cables and some cables that are unlikely to be identified by any living person.

It seems the only ones that are still in use after all these years are the ones with the infamous RCA jacks or stereo headphone jacks on their ends.

jtk

RS232 is still used though not widely. The others? Probably not.

jared herbert
06-23-2021, 9:23 AM
I save a lot of stuff. My wife is a thrower. So she got after me Once to get rid of some stuff so I did including 3 old Larsen storm doors. Wasn’t a week later and the latch broke on one of the Larsen doors still in use on our house. So the company no longer carried the parts ( planned obsolescence ) so off to buy a whole new door due to the fact that I had just burned 3 of them. Funny how things work.

Roger Feeley
06-23-2021, 9:54 AM

I scavenged the solenoid from an old doorbell and threw it in a drawer. Years later, our daughter hosted a Halloween sleepover. I wired up the solenoid to tap on the floor under our family room. My wife told a spooky story and at appropriate moments, I triggered the solenoid. It was a hit.

Jim Koepke
06-23-2021, 10:39 AM
RS232 is still used though not widely. The others? Probably not.

One problem is they are not all the same. One of my income sources in college was to make custom cables. Many used a simple pair and ground. Others had crossovers and special connections. My computer guru friend had a binder full of various RS-232 configurations.

My employment with a public agency clued me to why many things live on in the world of computers. The wording in many acquisition forms includes phrases like, "all control systems must have at least five years of proven reliability in general industry use."

This is one of the things that keeps people who recycle electronics in business selling parts for legacy systems.

jtk