PDA

View Full Version : Is This a SCAM?

Bert Kemp
06-17-2021, 11:56 AM
Got this TEXT from SSA459763 I logged into my account the normal way I do and there were no message in my inbox.
I'm wondering what happens if you type in the address they sent. LOL no me. Just wondering if its a scam or has anyone else got this text/

Doug Garson
06-17-2021, 12:00 PM
I always assume anything like that with a link is a scam.

Bill Dufour
06-17-2021, 12:23 PM
If it was from SS the website would end in .gov. Anything else is a scam.

Lisa Starr
06-17-2021, 12:29 PM
Like anything else, just login thru your usual channel. If the message is legit, it will be there. Otherwise, it is a scam.

Jim Becker
06-17-2021, 1:00 PM
An email came in for my mother's account today with the same language and it was legitimate.

So instead of clicking on the link, just bring up the SSA.GOV website and head to your account login page. Once you do that, you can visit the message center. If the text was legitimate, you'll see a message waiting.

Bruce Page
06-17-2021, 2:10 PM
I received the same email on Monday. It was legit.

glenn bradley
06-17-2021, 3:16 PM
Also received. I never use links in emails instead going direct to the site. I also had no new message but did have an old unread message. Certainly poorly administered systems that interval trigger, deem unread items as new items, and then generate an erroneous email are not uncommon enough. The email was legit, the information was just in error.

Jim Becker
06-17-2021, 4:44 PM
Yes, it's just a message that gives notice about certain kinds of notices and some changes on how they are willing to deliver them to citizens.

Ron Selzer
06-17-2021, 5:13 PM
Got this TEXT from SSA459763 I logged into my account the normal way I do and there were no message in my inbox.
I'm wondering what happens if you type in the address they sent. LOL no me. Just wondering if its a scam or has anyone else got this text/

I got this email this morning

"You elected to receive email notifications when there is a new item in your my Social Security Message Center.
You have a new message at my Social Security. You may log in to your account (https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL) to view new Message Center items.
Please do not reply to this automatically generated message. To unsubscribe from future notifications, please log in to your account (https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL) and update your Message Center notification preferences."

I did not receive a text

Bert Kemp
06-17-2021, 5:48 PM
Ok I did go to my SS and log in and I had no new messages. What I think happened is I got an email a few day ago saying I had new message. I went to my SS read the messaage and deleted it. This morning I get this text. So I think the text message was just sent later then the emails DUH

Kev Williams
06-17-2021, 5:52 PM
NOT a scam as noted above, it's a message alerting us old people to the cost of living increased payments :)

They have 2-step authentication, first is you log in and verify your email address, second step is they email you a code number, which you then enter on the website...

Brian Elfert
06-19-2021, 8:18 PM
I thought most government agencies generally only communicate official stuff via postal mail? I am pretty surprised the Social Security Administration would use text messages.

Kev Williams
06-19-2021, 8:38 PM
you can choose to go paperless, hence the text and emails--

Alan Rutherford
06-19-2021, 9:04 PM
I thought most government agencies generally only communicate official stuff via postal mail? I am pretty surprised the Social Security Administration would use text messages.

At some level of "Official" they might do that. For example they want to audit your taxes or you missed a court date, but considering the relative cost of texts vs snail mail not to mention the time frame being several days shorter, text messages are here to stay. It saves some of your tax dollars.

Doug Garson
06-19-2021, 9:46 PM
Revenue Canada uses email to notify that you have new messages but if I recall they don't include a link, they just tell you to go to your account on their website. It's the inclusion of a link that made me think it was a scam.

Bert Kemp
06-19-2021, 9:50 PM
Revenue Canada uses email to notify that you have new messages but if I recall they don't include a link, they just tell you to go to your account on their website. It's the inclusion of a link that made me think it was a scam.

Right thats why I thought its a scam. They should just say log into your account to check your messages, not put a link in:D

Brian Elfert
06-22-2021, 12:32 PM
At some level of "Official" they might do that. For example they want to audit your taxes or you missed a court date, but considering the relative cost of texts vs snail mail not to mention the time frame being several days shorter, text messages are here to stay. It saves some of your tax dollars.

I understand the cost savings of text messages and I don't have an issue with them. However, government agencies like the IRS have been telling us for years that they won't communicate via text message, email, or social media for any official communications.

Dave Mills
06-22-2021, 2:21 PM

I tend do agree, though I wish folks would check before they just assume they can text. I use a land line for the phone number I use if asked to enter it somewhere, and my wife tends to use her cell phone but has disabled text on if from so much spam. I don't remember ever being asked "is this number something we can send texts to?" when entering this phone number. I suppose I'm the one behind the times, but could they not just ask "please enter a number where we can send text messages?" if that's the intent?