PDA

View Full Version : Travel bench, now with tools

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 10:15 AM
This project started down in the ‘Woodworking projects’ area here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?291419-Travel-work-bench
ths a continuation of that build as I am now fitting the little bench with hand tools. If you haven’t seen the other thread this is what the bench looks like.
It is small, the top is 6”x14” and it stands 7 1/2” tall. I want to outfit it with all the primary tools to build a box or cave a peg head for a dulcimer or any other task. For those following along from the beginning here is the last page of the article that lists the tools the original bench carried.

My needs are not gunsmithing so I will pack it with tools useful to me. Space is at a premium, only .21 cubic feet as in the original handles have to be removable and multi use.
the top drawer hold most of the measuring and marking tools, I won’t name every tool so if you have questions just ask.

Next is lower drawer, three palm planes. The flat sole one has a rabbeting blade. 5 palm handled micro carving tools. Two of the tiny Veritas marking gauges, a larger bevel gauge a blued steel scraper and a drill gauge.

Sorry, I don’t know why some pics are sideways. Much more to come.
Jim

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 10:36 AM
Next comes the ability to drill some holes should the need arise. When I saw this Insti bit holder I thought it was perfect, compact and flat.

But then I realized since the drawers were inset from the edges since they are hung on the legs, the bits would fit along the side walls. They do not interfere with the drawer opening.

Now something to power the bits. A Yankee eggbeater was the best choice for ratchet function and like the original a removable handle so it will actually fit in the bench.

Continuing in this theme are a couple more drill bits and screw driving tools.

That block of bits and and things will live here.
That little ratchet shown in the holder is a wonderful tool. It is made for hex bits and very versatile.
Jim

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 10:47 AM
On to the cutting, carving and chisels. This is a set from Warren Tools. I fitted into an Altoids box lined with felt so as not to damage the edges. Two, possibly three handles will go in the box to minimize tools changes.

Also in an Altoids box is a 1/4” socket set.

A couple more tool categories to go.
Jim

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Along with the little palm planes in the drawer I can also fit in these planes.

And they live here.

To keep the edged tools tools sharp I have chosen two CBN hones with 4 different grits and I made a double sided strop that can be charges with two different grits.

Again I apologize, I don’t know why these pics are sideways.
Jim

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Since I can’t fit my bandsaw in there I have a fretsaw, a multi purpose handle and a thin aluminum tube with a variety of blades.

For other cutting tasks these will fit in.

The handle for the Zona saws is very small but the blade will also fit in the multi holder handle.
and then there is this vintage blade holder that can hold any variety of sawzall blades.

Jim

Scott Winners
06-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Will you be able to rig some sort of shoulder strap or side handles for moving it around? Or can you just lift it by the bench top?

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Hi Scott. I don’t expect to carry it very far at this point in time. The barn to the dining room table, barn to the deck, barn to the car. That sort of thing. I had thought of making a canvas bag to put it in and it would have handles, but at the moment I’m not worried about it. I did rout recesses along the sides of the base to be able to get my fingers under it. The top mortise and tenons are only glued so although I used epoxy I wouldn’t want to stress them.

Jim

Adam Herman
06-16-2021, 12:39 PM
quite clever and beautiful.

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Thanks Adam.
Jim

Jim Koepke
06-16-2021, 1:50 PM
It is a very beautiful mini-bench.

Is the Lie-Nielsen plane a #1?

jtk

Jim Ritter
06-16-2021, 2:18 PM
Yes a LN #1 in bronze. I bought it years ago, possibly through the classifieds here. They are crazy expensive now. This has been on my todo list as I said in the other thread for almost thirty years and I always had my eye out for tools to put in it. Some were inherited most were bought used. The only new money I spent was for the Zona saws and the little ryobi saw. I just bought that yesterday from Shelter Institute and my wife came along for the ride. She knows how obsessed I’ve been with this project. On the way home she asked “what are you going to use it for” I replied does an obsession need a reason? She just laughed.
i might make a little Krenov style plane with a Hock 1” iron I have so who knows. The #1 was part of the original kit so that is why it is in for the moment. The leg vise is able to open up enough to hold it upside down to use as a jointer if need be.
Jim

Scott Winners
06-16-2021, 11:02 PM
I wondered if the relief in the feet might work as handles, but you are packing that thing tight full of tool steel.

It is a beautiful thing, curious to know final loaded weight. Could you get a dolly under it if need be?

Jim Ritter
06-17-2021, 7:55 AM
Morning Scott. If I need a dolly I over did it. It weighs 12 pounds empty, I’ll load it up and give a total weigh a bit later today.
Jim

Jim Ritter
06-17-2021, 10:23 AM
Here are the last few tools for the bench.
Three little spokeshaves in a storage tin that still needs to be felt lined.

Some clamps, I’ll most likely have two of the machinist clamps.

A palette knife, a disc of metal to pound on if needed. (I still need to fit a handle to a small ball pein hammer head). And four rubber pads to put under the bench if it will be on the dining room table.

And here it is loaded with all the tools listed above.

The recesses on the bottom boards let me get my fingers under the whole bench to carry that way.
total weight at this time is just over 23 pounds, I guess when I get the hammer made it will be 24 pounds.
I have a machinist tool chest of unknown origin and not that fine an example of a chest so I will most likely dedicate it to holding all of the tools that didn’t make the cut and a place to store these tools if don’t need them when swapping tools for a specific job.
Jim

Derek Cohen
06-17-2021, 10:55 AM
Jim, does the leg vise have a chain drive? :)

Nice work. I think that you have been following in my footsteps ... which means I understand the obsessional thinking that went with this build!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Justin Kwong
06-17-2021, 11:17 AM
What a wonderful, functional chest. I enjoyed seeing your choice of tools given the limitations.

Curt Putnam
06-17-2021, 7:00 PM
What a sweet little chest/bench! Indeed, it is perfect for travel - so now you need to travel with it. Make stuff around the campfire. Great little project. Thanks for posting - I;ll have to go check the build posts.

Jim Ritter
06-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Thanks Derek, I did consider fitting a little chain that I have but in the end it would have intruded on the interior space that I didn’t have enough of. And yes we are of like mind. I do enjoy your work.

Thank you Justin.

Thanks Curt, already in use. On the dinning room table (yes I have a very understanding wife)

Jim

Christopher Charles
06-19-2021, 12:39 PM
Fantastic work Jim. I like the flip up saw stop. And I would also love to see it with a chain vise :) Mine's going strong 5 years out.

Jim Ritter
06-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Thanks Chris, I doubt you will ever wear out that chain on your leg vise. That style flip up stop was on another bench I saw but in an orientation for a push saw, I like the pull saws.
so I have been using the bench for a couple of days now and love it. The leg vise holds like a champ.
I need to put in the kit a small pair of scissors (I had to use a pair from the kitchen) and for out of the house use I need so have a small bottle of glue. Also some sandpaper. I think I can still fit that in. Maybe an empty hotel shampoo bottle refilled or a Visine bottle. Something to keep my eye out for.
Jim

Thomas Wilson
06-20-2021, 1:54 PM
Thanks Chris, I doubt you will ever wear out that chain on your leg vise. That style flip up stop was on another bench I saw but in an orientation for a push saw, I like the pull saws.
so I have been using the bench for a couple of days now and love it. The leg vise holds like a champ.
I need to put in the kit a small pair of scissors (I had to use a pair from the kitchen) and for out of the house use I need so have a small bottle of glue. Also some sandpaper. I think I can still fit that in. Maybe an empty hotel shampoo bottle refilled or a Visine bottle. Something to keep my eye out for.
Jim
Be sure to relabel the Visine bottle.

Love the bench. Such nice joinery.

Jim Ritter
06-20-2021, 5:32 PM
Good point Thomas. Yes I would remove all trace of label no matter what bottle is used. Don’t want to get Gorilla Glue in my hair like that one lady, or the eyes for that matter. I’m more of an epoxy or yellow glue user myself.
Jim