PDA

View Full Version : Wood table and temperature

Scott Welty
06-15-2021, 7:54 AM
I have a client who has approved the attached drawing for a table with benches in their porch. The porch is covered but not heated (Chicago). She like Walnut for the wood. I've drawn it with a 4 inch apron and 2 - 4 inch cross members to provide stability. Attach top to this frame with figure 8's. Legs are to be metal (from Symmetry) and screwed to the top. I think this is all good (but you'll let me know!). I'm a little worried about this being 'outside'. It won't get rain or snowed on but we have quite a temperature variation in Chicago. My little bit of reading tells me that wood 'moves' more due to moisture than it does temperature. I plan to finish with Waterlox.

Walnut ok?
Other wood?
Other finish?

Thanks as usual.

-Scott459646459647

John TenEyck
06-15-2021, 10:19 AM
If it's out of the weather all will be well if you follow your plan.

John

Patrick Kane
06-15-2021, 2:43 PM
Agreed, seasonal temperature doesnt have too much to do with things. I would make sure it cant get rained on. Direct exposure to rain/snow will do a number on the wood top.

One thing to keep in mind, the sun. A dark wood in direct sun in the summer can cause glue joints to fail. i dont have any experience with the plastic resin glues, but might be worth speaking to the manufacturer on different scenarios.

Richard Coers
06-15-2021, 8:25 PM
I live in Central IL, rain can come sideways here, and you live in the windy city. So I'd definitely plan on water. I hope you are planning on an exterior Waterlox product, not traditional Waterlox. Quarter sawn walnut would be my cut of choice. Cuts way down on movement.

Jeff Roltgen
06-15-2021, 10:03 PM
Outside, the Walnut will be amber to pumpkin orange within 9-18 months due to direct sun exposure. Especially if using an oil-based finish.

Scott Welty
06-17-2021, 7:20 AM
Just checked - yes the table will experience bright sun in the afternoons. So NO to Walnut. Maybe a lighter wood such as Maple? I've had blotching problems with maple in the past so if Maple, what finish might be good?
Scott

Mike Stelts
06-17-2021, 8:34 AM
I recently saw a handsome walnut chair. The unique color is due to living in direct sunlight.