PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day in the Shop

Thomas Wilson
06-14-2021, 12:40 PM
I am finishing up the Chinese Chippendale handrail on the shop porch. Yesterday, I had a bad day. Nothing serious or unfixable. I wound up with a few extra holes that will be covered and maybe a couple of pieces that are turned with the poorer face showing. Janicewhokeepsmehumble made me a sign. Thanks, J.
The handrail is going well. Two sections left to install.

Bruce King
06-14-2021, 1:24 PM
Very nice!
Tough material to expect zero blemishes.

Todd Zucker
06-15-2021, 7:04 AM
Looks nice!

Curt Harms
06-15-2021, 7:46 AM
Thomas

Did you tell Janicewhokeepsmehumble to mind her own business?:). Very attractive deck, nice job.

Thomas Wilson
06-15-2021, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I like the way it looks too. A timber frame woodworking shop needs to have an upgraded handrail from 2x2 pickets. JWKMH and I went up to the shop after supper to sit on the porch. The shadow lines are fantastic in the raking evening light coming in through the trees.

The mistakes are a consequence of complexity. The panels start out with lots of symmetries. But, as you get closer to installation left/right, top/bottom, and front/back matter. Also, seven different screw sizes and types are used. Each screw has its own pilot bit and driver bit. Plus, I am old. I have to really concentrate.

I have a lot of process pictures for the Chinese Chippendale project thread. I may update that thread. I have problems uploading pictures and posts that others don’t have. I suspect it may something to do with speed or latency of my HughesNet internet connection.

Frank Pratt
06-15-2021, 10:42 AM
Beautiful railing!

I'd love to have someone give me little messages like that to help keep me focused. My wife, bless her, only sees the best of what I do & tactfully is blind to the blunders.