PDA

View Full Version : know this manufacturer?

Bill Carey
06-14-2021, 9:43 AM
A buddy of mine collects old campers nad just bought this beauty:

459591 It's a 1926 Chevy custom made camper. Sink, bunk beds, a toilet - of sorts - and a top end of 23 mph.

In one of the drawers is this label:

459592 We're pretty sure Lenoir became (or was bought up) by Broyhill. But we can't find anything about Chas Agins and Son from Patterson NJ. Any info would be helpful. Thx.

Lisa Starr
06-14-2021, 11:11 AM
Google was able to locate Chas Agins and Son in Paterson, NJ in 1914. They appeared to be a builder and rental owner.

Bill Carey
06-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Thx Lisa - duck duck came up empty, and google only gave me a clipping about them accepting bids on a store building.
Did you find more than that?

Lisa Starr
06-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Not yet...I'll probably work on it more when I'm too tired to work in my shop. I'll forward anything I'm able to locate.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2021, 1:29 PM
It may be Chevrolet made the basic frame and drive train and a second company made the top part. This is/was a common practice in the automotive industry. It may also be the company building the top contracted with a third company to install the cabinetry.

The top of the vehicle looks more like cabinetry than something designed and produced in an automotive assembly line.

jtk

Jim Matthews
06-14-2021, 3:25 PM
A buddy of mine collects old campers nad just bought this beauty:

459591 It's a 1926 Chevy custom made camper. Sink, bunk beds, a toilet - of sorts - and a top end of 23 mph.

My toilet isn't as fast.

This must be the inspiration for those tiny houses I don't hear much about, anymore.

Bill Carey
06-14-2021, 4:46 PM
It may be Chevrolet made the basic frame and drive train and a second company made the top part. This is/was a common practice in the automotive industry. It may also be the company building the top contracted with a third company to install the cabinetry.

The top of the vehicle looks more like cabinetry than something designed and produced in an automotive assembly line.

jtk

My guess is, as you suggest, that they bought the truck frame etc from Chevy, took it to Chas Agins and Son who built the body, and Agins installed cabinets made by Lenoir. It is a way cool vehicle. My buddy's wife has already ordered all the county maps between here and where they go camping with the rest of the collectors they hang with (he has 11 antique campers) because it's gonna be back roads the whole way.

Kev Williams
06-14-2021, 10:01 PM
https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-history/
-interesting read on these things :)