PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're Getting Old When…

Jim Koepke
06-13-2021, 3:25 PM
A thread in the Neanderthal Haven made me think of posting this.

You know you're getting old when…

You can't remember why you have your teeth in.

You feel like taking a nap after putting your socks on.

You record your favorite programs on TV to watch again later because you are likely to fall asleep while watching them the first time.

jtk

Lisa Starr
06-13-2021, 5:02 PM
When you go to a car show and the "classics" were brand new when you were in high school.

Jim Matthews
06-13-2021, 5:18 PM
Publicity photos of performers younger than you are of old people.

Kev Williams
06-13-2021, 6:19 PM
When you go to a car show and the "classics" were brand new when you were in high school.

back in my youth I bought a '67 Dodge Coronet R/T for $600, a '70 Dodge Coronet R/T for $1700, a '56 Ford F-100 for $1500, and a '70 Mustang Mach I for $1500...
In reasonably good condition that $5300 worth of vehicles are now worth nearly a 1/4 Million. I've seen versions of each with asking prices over $100k...

--wasn't there a 'what would you tell your 18 year old self NOW' thread not long ago? ;)

Jim Koepke
06-13-2021, 7:09 PM

jtk

Ed Aumiller
06-13-2021, 7:33 PM
My father (I think) told me to buy a new car and put it in protected storage.. When I would be ready to retire, the car would make it possible...
If I had a 1964 anything car with basically 0 miles, it would be valuable now !!! Especially if it turned out to be a classic !!!

Todd Trebuna
06-13-2021, 8:47 PM
You start paying attention to expiration dates, almost as if you’ve suddenly got one.

Alan Rutherford
06-13-2021, 9:10 PM
When you realize 1 of your lifetimes takes you back to before the start of WWII, 2 is before the Civil War and 3 is the Revolution.

Mike Soaper
06-13-2021, 10:21 PM
The movie Indiana Jones is 40 yrs old, Star Wars is 44.

You remember using a slide rule in high school.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2021, 12:55 AM
My father (I think) told me to buy a new car and put it in protected storage.. When I would be ready to retire, the car would make it possible...
If I had a 1964 anything car with basically 0 miles, it would be valuable now !!! Especially if it turned out to be a classic !!!

A 1964 Mustang or Corvette would be nice.

jtk

Aaron Rosenthal
06-14-2021, 1:31 AM
Sorry folks, but putting a car away for 40 years will only guarantee that it’ll be junk when you go to sell it.
That Plymouth that was buried in Arizona in 1957 (if memory serves) was a brand new, time capsuled rotted out piece of junk.
Most cars need to be maintained and run to be viable.
Better off buying stock in the company.
Now me, I know I’m getting old because as I try and raise our 105th child (foster), while the wife and I are in our 70s, I keep on saying “I could never have spoken that way to an adult, more and more”.

Ole Anderson
06-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Suspenders, hearing aids and comb-overs.

Jim Matthews
06-14-2021, 3:26 PM
Suspenders, hearing aids and comb-overs.

I remember high school, too.

Warren Lake
06-14-2021, 3:35 PM
Lisa those are the only car shows I want to go to.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2021, 4:40 PM
Can you remember when you could tell who made a car coming down the road without having to see the name on the hood or side?

Do they all seem alike now?

jtk

Bill Carey
06-14-2021, 4:48 PM
when you contribute to a thread titled You Know You're Getting Old When...

Mel Fulks
06-14-2021, 6:09 PM
Yes, there is a lot of similitude, but computers copy each other. Saves a lot of money on advertising, tv used to be full of car ads.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2021, 6:44 PM
Yes, there is a lot of similitude, but computers copy each other. Saves a lot of money on advertising, tv used to be full of car ads.

There is even vehicle placement advertising in the actual programs.

Currently one reason there aren't as many car ads as in the past could be due to dealers having difficulty keeping cars, new or used, in stock.

You know your getting old when a new truck cost more than your first house.

jtk

Wes Grass
06-14-2021, 7:25 PM
The payments on my first 'car', a loaded 4x4 Chevy pickup, were more than the mortgage on my parent's house, purchased 6 years earlier. The house they didn't think they'd be able to afford. Which now sits on a couple million dollars worth of dirt.

Ron Selzer
06-14-2021, 7:40 PM
There is even vehicle placement advertising in the actual programs.

Currently one reason there aren't as many car ads as in the past could be due to dealers having difficulty keeping cars, new or used, in stock.

You know your getting old when a new truck cost more than your first house.

jtk

A new truck cost more than either of my first two houses sold for and more than I paid for BOTH houses. Actually not far away from what I paid for the house I live in now and it was bought new from the builder in a development in town.
Ron

Jim Matthews
06-14-2021, 8:26 PM
A new truck cost more than either of my first two houses sold for and more than I paid for BOTH houses. Actually not far away from what I paid for the house I live in now and it was bought new from the builder in a development in town.
Ron
You know you're old when you remember buying any house.

Kev Williams
06-14-2021, 9:41 PM
Not as many car ads? I must be watching the wrong TV channels! Right now cable TV is riddled with FOUR ads:
Cars for sale
Car insurance for sale
Car extended-warranty's for sale
Every new prescription drug known to man...
;)

and-- you know you're old when this was normal stuff on TV :)

Alex Walter
06-15-2021, 6:15 AM
When your doctor's significantly younger than you.

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2021, 6:42 AM
Sorry folks, but putting a car away for 40 years will only guarantee that it’ll be junk when you go to sell it.
That Plymouth that was buried in Arizona in 1957 (if memory serves) was a brand new, time capsuled rotted out piece of junk.
Now me, I know I’m getting old because as I try and raise our 105th child (foster), while the wife and I are in our 70s, I keep on saying “I could never have spoken that way to an adult, more and more”.

Look up the 71 Hemicuda convertible, then and now. Just any car yes, but if you picked the right car$$$. Also who in their right mind would bury a car and expect it to be OK? Of course they need to be maintained. On the other hand the fund I was invested in just disappeared one day, so if I had it in a car I would have been further ahead.

Kev Williams
06-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Funny, I know a guy in Las Vegas who has a '71 Hemi Cuda convertible. Or HAD the last time I talked with him which was several years ago. He's not an old guy so pretty sure it's still making him money. And no it's not rusting away :)

Warren Lake
06-15-2021, 3:13 PM
know enough people with those type of cars, they dont talk about the value. When you can order and get a GT40 your other cars over 100k dont matter that much.

If its a ferrari GTO think the last one sold for70 Million and think a friend detailed one that was towards 50 Mil at Barret before that one. I guess its like Andy Worhal paintings and some others.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2021, 6:39 PM
I have noticed recently I am frequently using the phrase " I can remember .....(fill in the blank).... but that was last century.....

Michael Weber
06-16-2021, 12:06 PM
When reading “you know your old threads” just deepens your depression.

Ken Combs
06-16-2021, 1:23 PM

Just storing it any old way is sure death. Burying it in an unsealed concrete vault is surer death. That's what was done in Tulsa. Beautiful 57 Plymouth turned to rust by extreme humidity.
On the other hand, I knew of a Chevy dealer that had several 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s cars stored in a barn, concrete floor with vapor barrier. They all brought premium prices at his estate auction.

That's no way to enjoy classics, IMNSHO.

Jim Koepke
06-16-2021, 2:01 PM
That's no way to enjoy classics, IMNSHO.

Sometimes a walk out to my shop just to look around for a few minutes brings back memories of the rust hunts and estate sales where many of my tools were found. Though there may not have been a smile on my face when entering. There is almost always a smile on my face when exiting.

Maybe it is the same for someone with a barn filled with classic cars. Just being able to sit behind the wheel and roll down the window may transport them to a place that can not be found on the open road.

Hopefully some of my children or grandchildren will enjoy using my tools. If not hopefully they will enjoy the money they earn by selling them.

jtk

Bill Dufour
06-16-2021, 4:18 PM
Went to the Oakland muesum a decade ago and recognized lots of stuff on display. like the patio set from blue chip stamps etc.
Do you look at the obits everyday to see how many are younger then you?
Bill D

Kev Williams
06-16-2021, 5:17 PM
A friend of mine still has, stored in his garage after he borrowed it long ago, the Coleman pup tent my mom got me for my 13th birthday paid for with Raleigh coupons (which also came with the menthol BelAir's my folks smoked back then). And we had S&H Green Stamps and Gold Strike stamps at the grocery stores...

Jim Koepke
06-16-2021, 6:19 PM
I still have an AM/FM radio I got with Blue Chip stamps back in the early 1960s. Not sure if it works anymore.

We still have a few plates from a grocery store promotion that used to be common back in those days. All the dinner plates finally cracked in the last few years but the smaller plates are still hanging in there.

Remember gas price wars? I remember when a full tank in my VW cost less than $2.50 at the high priced Standard/Chevron station. Now the same 10.5 gallon tank would cost over $30 to fill.

Remember when all the 'cool kids' would 'drag the main' or hang out at the drive ins like Mel's?

Then in the mid to late '60s it was hanging out in coffee shops and having a cappuccino or an espresso while discussing poetry and the latest novels.

Those were the days my friend… We thought they'd never end.

jtk

Mike Soaper
06-16-2021, 10:08 PM
Those were the days my friend… We thought they'd never end.

jtk

"We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose"

Thanks for bringing that song to mind