PDA

View Full Version : A Good Bench Dog Is Hard To Find

Hank Knight
01-10-2006, 9:21 PM
Meet Biscuit, my new bench dog. My Kid gave LOML and me a wheaten scottie puppy for Christmas. She has all the potential to become a great pooch and a wonderful shop companion.

Doug Shepard
01-10-2006, 9:30 PM
Very cool! Does that kind swell up when you put glue on it?:D

Hank Knight
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Very cool! Does that kind swell up when you put glue on it?:D

Don't know yet. I'll let you know. So far it's too wiggly to glue.

John Miliunas
01-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Cute pup, Hank! Just be a little weary about keeping it in the shop when running power tools. Their hearing is so much more sensitive than ours and the noise can really hurt them! :) Now, if you're busy doing the Neander thing, have at it!:D :cool:

Jim Dunn
01-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Just look out where you step:) Don't want to damage any tools by stepping on em, or tripping on a cord.

Real neat dog, but I'm betting she snuggles up to your wife before she figures out how to handle a skew chisel.

Here's mine. We was in the shop all day and had to take a break

Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2006, 8:28 AM
I don't have a bench, so mine is a shop dog! Plus mine is a Siberian husky so he doesn't fit well on a bench! :)

Congrats on the dog!

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
And a big shout-out from Ozzy, who doesn't like me stacking tools on "his" table:

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 12:04 PM
And a big shout-out from Ozzy, who doesn't like me stacking tools on "his" table:

Ozzy is a great looking pooch. it doesn't look like there's much room on the table for him to share!

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Just look out where you step:) Don't want to damage any tools by stepping on em, or tripping on a cord.

Real neat dog, but I'm betting she snuggles up to your wife before she figures out how to handle a skew chisel.

Here's mine. We was in the shop all day and had to take a break

Jim

You're right about the snuggling, LOML has the edge there. Looks like your buddy is plum tuckered out.

Hank

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't have a bench, so mine is a shop dog! Plus mine is a Siberian husky so he doesn't fit well on a bench! :)

Congrats on the dog!

Jeff, A Siberian husky won't fit in my shop! They are wonderful dogs, but don't fare well in our South Carolina climate.

Cheers,

Hank

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Cute pup, Hank! Just be a little weary about keeping it in the shop when running power tools. Their hearing is so much more sensitive than ours and the noise can really hurt them! :) Now, if you're busy doing the Neander thing, have at it!:D :cool:

Thanks for the comments John. I run the pets out when the power equipment goes on, for my safety as well as theirs. This puppy is into everything, so it will be a while before she is a full-fledged bench dog with unsupervised shop privileges.

Cheers,

Hank

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hank that's "buddies" one on my lap one on my shoulder. The one on my shoulder is LOML.

Greg Narozniak
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Sometimes they are too big to fit on the bench :) 68 lbs and growing every day

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Hank,
Is your pooch shop broken yet? Meaning: Does he do the hand sanding and empty the dust collector? How does he get along with the Gorilla glue? :)
cheers, Jeff

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 1:24 PM
I just love these pooch threads.

Here's Archie.

She only works in a supervisory capacity, as in - out! food! more! move over!

oak barrett
01-11-2006, 1:51 PM
couldnt tell from the pic, but does that fit into square or round holes?

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 2:44 PM
Hank that's "buddies" one on my lap one on my shoulder. The one on my shoulder is LOML.

AH! I see. I thought the one on your lap was a laptop.:)

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 2:48 PM
couldnt tell from the pic, but does that fit into square or round holes?

Oak, I'll have to give you the same answer I gave to Doug Shepard: Don't know yet - she's too wiggly to insert into a dog hole. Perhaps' she'll calm down soon and I can answer these questions more difinitively. ;)

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 2:51 PM
Hank,
Is your pooch shop broken yet? Meaning: Does he do the hand sanding and empty the dust collector? How does he get along with the Gorilla glue? :)
cheers, Jeff
The only woodworking talent she's demonstrated so far is emptying the dust collector - all over the shop. No sanding skills whatsoever, and I'm a little reluctant to turn her loose with the Gorilla.:o

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 3:00 PM
I just love these pooch threads.

Here's Archie.

She only works in a supervisory capacity, as in - out! food! more! move over!

Ahhhh, but Andy, she's a good looker! Blonde, no less!:D :cool:

Robert Mayer
01-11-2006, 3:25 PM
Mine are too big to fit on my workbench. Besides they much prefer the couch. Meet mauser, nadia, and walther:

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/5475ny_trip_7.1.05_053.jpg

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 3:30 PM
Is your pooch shop broken yet? Meaning: Does he do the hand sanding and empty the dust collector? How does he get along with the Gorilla glue? :) Just a cautionary note: Gorilla Glue (and presumably all polyurethane glues) are deadly to dogs if ingested. Read about one over on one of the Usenet dog groups: owner was remodeling the house, dog licked up some uncured GG, dead in 24 hours...vet could do absolutely nothing.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 3:57 PM
I've just been advised by PETA that I don't give Marlowe equal time in these threads. She likes sofas too.

Larry Klaaren
01-11-2006, 3:58 PM
We had a labrador retriever hanging around the vet clinic, and also a domestic short hair clinic cat.

Gave us the ability to get a quick lab report and cat scan.

I'll be here all week.

Larry

Gail O'Rourke
01-11-2006, 4:24 PM
Meet Woody (yellow lab) and his new girl Timber (chocolate)

Hank Knight
01-11-2006, 5:21 PM
We had a labrador retriever hanging around the vet clinic, and also a domestic short hair clinic cat.

I'll be here all week.

Larry

Oohh! Larry, you're a bad boy. Go to your corner.

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 6:07 PM
:cool:

I'll be here all week.

Larry

Uhhhh...Larry. Not bad, but don't give up your day job!!! :D :cool:

Steve Braman
01-11-2006, 8:46 PM
Griffin is slowly earning shop rights. I ocasionally have to chase him into the yard when he runs out of the shop fast. This usually indicates he has snagged the latest scrap. He is still a puppy and is quickly growing out of this, but he stillenjoys rolling in my hand plane shavings.

Bill Lewis
01-11-2006, 9:03 PM
Well as long as we're on the subject, here are our two.
Harley and Brandy (L to R).
Oh and yes they like the couch, and the bed too. Must be a German Shepard thing.

Larry Klaaren
01-11-2006, 11:40 PM
:cool:

Uhhhh...Larry. Not bad, but don't give up your day job!!! :D :cool:

Uh, John . . . did that already.

Larry

Dev Emch
01-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Uh, John . . . did that already.

Larry

It could be worse than that:D

My lab's name is Dodi Al Fahad. Its an AKC thing. We call him dodi. A few weeks ago, he brings a yellow lab home from the neighbor that I never talk to. What does the tag say? Diana. Why are these names familar? Ahhh, now I have definitive proof of reincarnation.

Corvin Alstot
01-12-2006, 12:51 AM
My lab's name is Dodi Al Fahad. Its an AKC thing. We call him dodi. A few weeks ago, he brings a yellow lab home from the neighbor that I never talk to. What does the tag say? Diana. Why are these names familar? Ahhh, now I have definitive proof of reincarnation. Dev/ Are you kidding?, keep Dodi from chasing the paparazzi.

Here is Moose but his companion is not named Rocky (Tigger).

Dev Emch
01-12-2006, 1:55 AM
Dev/ Are you kidding?, keep Dodi from chasing the paparazzi.

Here is Moose but his companion is not named Rocky (Tigger).

Nope! Not kidding at all. Dodi is about 7 years old and Diana is about 3 years old. The neighbor adopted Diana when she was about 8 months old and had already been named. My neighbor did not pick that name nor did she know about my dog's name. The whole thing is super freaky is it not? I take great amusment in the matter however.

Hank Knight
01-12-2006, 5:51 AM

My lab's name is Dodi Al Fahad. Its an AKC thing. We call him dodi. A few weeks ago, he brings a yellow lab home from the neighbor that I never talk to. What does the tag say? Diana. Why are these names familar? Ahhh, now I have definitive proof of reincarnation.

Dev, that's really strange.

Tom Drake
01-12-2006, 6:40 AM
Great looking pup! My 3 year old Basset Hound loves the shop time too but she's too big for the bench.

Larry Klaaren
01-12-2006, 8:03 AM

Wow! Hope you don't live anywhere near any place named Trafalger.

I know about that AKC thing. Our dog is Bowser. He's named after the Pacer's mascot. My daughter and I went to a Pacer's game and my daughter said, "If we ever get another dog let's name it Bowser, and then we can get another cat and name it Boomer." (Boomer's the other mascot for the Pacers.) That was about nine p.m. The next day morning around eleven, my wife, who was not there and didn't know about it, came home with the cutest little Rat Terrorist, I mean Terrier, pup. My lab reporter lived to be fifteen, but passed away last November.

Larry

Bart Leetch
01-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Mine are too big to fit on my workbench. Besides they much prefer the couch. Meet mauser, nadia, and walther:

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/5475ny_trip_7.1.05_053.jpg

I think some day I'll get Two smaller dogs & name one Smith & the other Wesson so I can put the sign up saying this house guarded by Smith & Wesson.

Lee DeRaud
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
I think some day I'll get Two smaller dogs & name one Smith & the other Wesson so I can put the sign up saying this house guarded by Smith & Wesson.Or just have one, named "Glock". Are there any dog breeds native to Austria?

Bart Leetch
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Or just have one, named "Glock". Are there any dog breeds native to Austria?

Maybe Dingo?

Hank Knight
01-12-2006, 2:20 PM
I think some day I'll get Two smaller dogs & name one Smith & the other Wesson so I can put the sign up saying this house guarded by Smith & Wesson.

Good idea. When Smith & Wesson speak, people listen.

Vaughn McMillan
01-12-2006, 2:29 PM
Maybe Dingo? Austria, not Australia. ;)

In answer to the original question...I don't think so, but I've been wrong numerous times. :)

- Vaughn

Larry Klaaren
01-12-2006, 3:05 PM
Austria, not Australia. ;)

In answer to the original question...I don't think so, but I've been wrong numerous times. :)

- Vaughn

The Tyrolean Hound is a rare breed native to Austria. Looks something like a Golden Retriever with shorter hair or a Viszla with longer hair. I've actually never seen one.

Viszla's are Hungarian, but also associated with Austria.

Dalmatia is mostly in Croatia and Montenegro, but it was a part of Austria when breeders began to develop Dalmatians as companion dogs in the 1800's, and the Austrian aristrocracy liked them. From what I found on the internet everything about exactly what constitutes Dalmatia, and the origin of the Dalmatian is debatable. Even whether they were developed in Dalmatia, or developed in Austria, Czechoslovakia, or Hungary and called Dalmatians is not a settled thing.

Larry

Jim Davenport
01-12-2006, 3:13 PM
Here's my "Shop Dog", another Mastiff. His name is Judge (AKA "Dogzilla") My friend gave him that nickname, not because he's mean. He's just so big and clumsy, and knocks things over, kinda like Godzilla with buildings in Tokyo.:rolleyes:
He lives for two things, pigs ears, and walks. He's happy just laying in a pile of sawdust if he can just be with his "Grandpa"

Bart Leetch
01-12-2006, 3:22 PM
Austria, not Australia. ;)

- Vaughn

Oops I mis read the question.

Steven Shelby
01-12-2006, 3:47 PM
Just a cautionary note: Gorilla Glue (and presumably all polyurethane glues) are deadly to dogs if ingested. Read about one over on one of the Usenet dog groups: owner was remodeling the house, dog licked up some uncured GG, dead in 24 hours...vet could do absolutely nothing.

Not to be too graphic, but Lee makes an important point for all of us who love animals. Read recently that dogs apparently love the taste of Gorilla glue. We all know what it does when exposed to moisture.... not a pretty thought. My point being: Please be safe with things in our shops like Poly glues that our dogs can get into without us realizing until it's too late!

Apologies for the rant and the highjack.

Gilbert Vega
01-12-2006, 9:56 PM
Here's my brood.

Dev Emch
01-13-2006, 1:38 AM
Not to be too graphic, but Lee makes an important point for all of us who love animals. Read recently that dogs apparently love the taste of Gorilla glue. We all know what it does when exposed to moisture.... not a pretty thought. My point being: Please be safe with things in our shops like Poly glues that our dogs can get into without us realizing until it's too late!

Apologies for the rant and the highjack.

Thank you kindly for the head's up alert on this stuff!

Vaughn McMillan
01-13-2006, 1:55 AM
Gilbert, that second pic is priceless. I'll have to show it to my dog to let her know she's no longer the goofiest dog around. :D

And Lee and Steven, thanks for the heads-up. Both of our dogs will try anything once, and twice if it's stinky.

- Vaughn

Bob Aquino
01-13-2006, 7:06 AM
He's not much of a bench dog, he will come and lay down in the shop if I am the only one home, but with his fur and my sawdust, it aint pretty.

Nate Rogers
01-13-2006, 7:42 AM
Here is my bench dog, loves to spend time in the shop..Really enjoys chewing on my mistakes. His name is Brody

Nate

Gilbert Vega
01-15-2006, 9:42 PM
Gilbert, that second pic is priceless. I'll have to show it to my dog to let her know she's no longer the goofiest dog around. :D

- Vaughn

Puppies are just like little kids. They're a laugh a minute.