PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

Paul Douglass
01-10-2006, 9:12 PM
Anyone own a Drill Doctor drill bit sharpener? Are they any good? Is the little 300 or 350 worth havind?

Thanks

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2006, 9:22 PM
I purchased one last spring. I think it was the 500 model (1/2" max bit). It works really well. I went on a sharpening spree and sharpened at least 50 bits. I think the diamond wheel has worn some because the grind is less aggressive, but it still works fine.

Do a search on this forum, and on other forums. There is no shortage of posts on this topic. It seems that the folks who don't like this contraption are the folks that are skilled in hand sharpening on a bench grinder. Some other folks that reject this tool claim that drill bit replacements are cheaper and more economical. However, I've had my share of inferior import drill bit sets and vow to purchase better bits even at three times the import bit cost, and then resharpen them myself.

Drill Doctor just released an updated product line. You may still find some of the older models at a significantly reduced price.

cheers, Jeff

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2006, 9:25 PM
In addition to my post above, be advised that the Drill Doctor does not sharpen auger, brad point or forstner bits.

cheers again...Jeff

Christopher Stahl
01-10-2006, 9:26 PM
I received the 750x for Christmas. When I try it out, I'll definitely post my review. I'm quite anxious to use it.

chris

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Chris,
I remember the first time I used my Drill Doctor. I brought it to my in-law's house to grind bits while my mother in law begins her usual chant of what a bum I am and not deserving on her daughter. My father in law then came home, and saw me sharpening bits on his dining room table. He took one look at my screamin' machine, glanced at my mother in law during her ritual, and ordered the bigger model that you have.

Funny thing is, my father in law does not even own any drill bits. However, he said that he will bring home some rebar from a nearby construction site to sharpen.

Actually, I'm only kidding. I'm not even married. It was either a loving, caring wife or a nice woodshop full of tools!

enjoy your new tool...Jeff

Richard Blaine
01-11-2006, 12:52 AM
I have a 750SP that I bought at an auction last year for $40.00. It was unused and in the box.:D

I've sharpened quite a few metal bits with it, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Better than if I did the bits on a bench grinder, but I'm pretty bad at sharpening bits that way.

I like the fact that it goes to 3/4". I will say that it's trickier to sharpen bits smaller than 1/4" since it's a little harder to align the smaller bits properly.

I would have hated to pay full price for this tool (another sneak gloat,) but I'm happy to have it.

Randy Meijer
01-11-2006, 1:05 AM
I have one and love it!! Given the price of "GOOD" bits(not cheap imports) it will pay for itself sooner or later and even if it doesn't, the pleasure of knowing you are useing a sharp bit is worth the money. Before I got my DD, about 90% of my bits were only half sharp.

And 2 comments for Jeffrey:

1. While the 500 won't do the types of bits you mention, it will do split point bits, masonry bits and regrind your standard twist bits to split points. Split points will act sort of like brad points .

2. When your wheel starts to loose its grinding ability, you can reverse it and get a totally fresh new surface.....according to the techs at DD.

Vaughn McMillan
01-11-2006, 3:06 AM
Add another thumbs-up from me on the Drill Doctor. Over the years, I've inherited a few hundred assorted twist drill bits, and bought a few assortments as well, most of which are now duller than boxes they're stored in. Since getting the DD, I've gotten in the habit of always sharpening a bit before I use it (unless it's one I know I've recently sharpened), and it's like using a brand-new bit every time. Got mine on sale several months back at Sears for about $80 IIRC. In my case, it was money well spent.

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
01-11-2006, 6:49 AM
All I can say is that it is the only one that I know about that sharpens bits correctly. I learned this from a machinist at work, and by using a Darex professional bit sharpener we have in the shop at work. Darex is the company that produces the Drill Doctor consumer line of sharpeners. Which by the way do incorporate the same grinding methods as the pro models. Don't even think about the pro models though, they're at least 10x's the price of the DD units.
Oh, and one more thing, I have a DD 500 that I picked up on clearance from a Sears quite some time ago, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I guess I need to break it out and try it.

Ken Seiler
01-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Got the XP2 version for Christmas from LOML. Sharpened 2 bits but haven't had time to use them or work with it more since I am working out of town. She got it at BORG and it had a $15 rebate.

Lynn Kasdorf
01-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I picked up a 750x drill doctor a week ago, and I love it. My wife bought it from Amazon as a Christmas present, but they were out of stock. I NEEDED it ASAP, so we cancelled the Amazon order and I found it in stock at northwest tools for the same price AND I discovered the rebate- there is a $15 rebate going on for purchases between 1/1/06 and 3/1/06 I think. So, I got mine for $119 delivered - $15 = $104.

I do a lot of metal working, so I am always needing to sharpen drill bits. This thing really works and is easy to master (for us mechanical types). I don't know the earlier models, but apparently the new 750x has an improved setup mechanism.

About the only downside I see is that it is rated at about 200 sharpenings per wheel. Which ain't that much if you do a lot of metal drilling. However, I had thought about reversing the wheel- good to read confirmation that this will work. New wheels are a little > $20.

Given what a joy sharp drill bits are (and what a PITA they are when dull) I highly recomend this unit. Go ahead and get the top model- it is not that much money in the scheme of things.

I have tried 3 other drill bit sharpening gizmos that have been languishing in a box somewhere for a few years- this is the first one that actually works! Hallelujah!

LK

Boyd Gathwright
01-17-2006, 11:15 AM
.... Here's a thread discussion you may want to consider ;).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15573&highlight=drill+doctor