PDA

View Full Version : Turned Buck Horn - Not Wood- Just a Small Thing

Bill Stevener
01-10-2006, 8:47 PM
Hi Gang,
Played with some Deer Antler today. First time turning antler, had this for about 48 years and it turns like butter. I don't know how a fresh rack would be, the neighbor is going to give me one to try.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kent Parker
01-10-2006, 9:08 PM
Very impressive Bill!! Do you work with a loupe, or just have gifted eye site? :eek:

Nicely done!!

Cheers,

Kent

Dale Thompson
01-10-2006, 9:13 PM
Bill,
Very nice work! :) I've turned quite a few pens out of antler and they turn out looking like ceramic. :) People can't believe that it is antler.

Maybe a 48 year old rack would be different but more recent racks have a very obnoxious odor due to the protein being disturbed. :eek: If it bothers you, try a cheap paper dust mask and sprinkle a bit of after-shave on it. :cool:

Turning antler is great except for the above and getting the material. I'm not a hunter but I have many friends and relatives who are. Asking them for one of their MANY racks is like asking them to give me their kids or hunting dog! :eek: However, show them a "sample" with a rifle clip on it and they will usually come through with the required rack. ;) :cool:

My cousin is married to former State Patrol officer. He had almost "unlimited" access to road killed bucks and sent the antlers to me. :) However, he was selfish enough to retire a couple of years ago. ;) My supply is kind of drying up. ;)

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
01-10-2006, 9:18 PM
I should have guessed, Bill,
When I said that you had outdone yourself on that ringed chalice, that I’d be eating my words soon.

So did that thing throw you for a loupe, or vice versa?
Frank

Keith Burns
01-10-2006, 9:28 PM
Whats the problem Bill, ya can't get um any smaller ?:D Really you have a great eye on this small stuff and these prove it. Great job:) :)

Dick Parr
01-10-2006, 9:29 PM
Great Bill;)

Carole Valentine
01-10-2006, 9:32 PM
Is that a challenge??? Maybe I will try turning one of my dog's toenail clippings!:D
Seriously, you amaze me, Bill!

John Hart
01-10-2006, 9:32 PM
First thing I thought was that they looked like Ivory. pretty little pieces Bill!! You got the knack..that's for sure!!:)