View Full Version : Need casters that work well on rough concrete

Bill Bukovec
06-09-2021, 8:41 PM
What type of casters work well on rough concrete? It looks like the finished the concrete with a dead chicken. I tried soft rubber economy casters and those didn't work out.

Should I buy hard plastic, hard rubber, pneumatic, ...?

This is for a drum sander that weighs about 300 pounds.

Paul F Franklin
06-09-2021, 9:15 PM
I think increasing the size of the wheels will be more effective than changing material. Larger wheels will roll over rough surfaces more easily.

William Hodge
06-09-2021, 9:34 PM
I have a Powermatic 66 on steel wheels. Those wheels are chipping the concrete at the stress relief kerfs. The 4" hard plastic wheels on the lumber carts seem to do OK.

Rich Engelhardt
06-10-2021, 5:31 AM
Call Caster Depot and ask them what to use.
https://www.casterdepot.com/contact/?_vsrefdom=www.google.com

They used to be Great Lakes Casters. A really fine place to deal with. I've had excellent luck/service/prices with them.

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2021, 7:20 AM
I think increasing the size of the wheels will be more effective than changing material. Larger wheels will roll over rough surfaces more easily.

+1. That's what I was thinking too.

Rob Luter
06-10-2021, 7:45 AM
As large a wheel diameter as practical. Urethane or rubber tires.

Tom M King
06-10-2021, 7:55 AM
I recently built a welder cart with these. They roll Very easily, and go over extension cords on the floor with little problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3WV1MT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim Becker
06-10-2021, 7:55 AM
Larger wheels with urethane or rubber tires as Rob mentions is the way to go. There is no long-term redeeming value in "cheap" casters, either. Buy quality and that doesn't necessarily mean "most expensive". Just avoid the bargain stuff that's cheaply made. These things need to support weight and your precious tools. It's an important job! I've been very pleased with castercity.com for solutions I've bought from them.

Rob Luter
06-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Larger wheels with urethane or rubber tires as Rob mentions is the way to go. There is no long-term redeeming value in "cheap" casters, either. Buy quality and that doesn't necessarily mean "most expensive". Just avoid the bargain stuff that's cheaply made. These things need to support weight and your precious tools. It's an important job! I've been very pleased with castercity.com for solutions I've bought from them.

Agreed Jim. Conversely, I'd like to think there is long-term redeeming value in high quality casters. In my experience they generally outlast whatever they're bolted to and get to be used on multiple applications. I have some that have been used on at least a couple different carts and mobile stands in my shop.

Jim Becker
06-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Yea, I've actually reused some sets myself, Rob. Good quality just keeps on giving!

glenn bradley
06-10-2021, 10:42 AM
Agree on larger diameter and agree on higher quality. I have several sets of 3" casters that have survived a couple of house moves along with their daily requirements. I have lesser casters that have self destructed on smooth concrete. I do have cast iron wheels on a few heavier items but, they are not rough-stuff friendly.

Mel Fulks
06-10-2021, 3:31 PM
I recently built a welder cart with these. They roll Very easily, and go over extension cords on the floor with little problem.

Frayed, that sounds dis- cord-ant to that cord ! ....just a PLUG for keeping the juice flowing

John Lifer
06-10-2021, 4:06 PM
quality is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. I WOULD have thought powermatic put quality casters on their PM2000, but I had two of four disintegrate in just a few years. I replaced with similar from another company, and so far they have held up twice as long. (or longer actually) Over really rough concrete, nothing will be great. But good soft will probably hold up well. Urethane should be best.

Dean Egnater
06-13-2021, 6:43 PM
I work in the concert industry...all those cases you see filled with cables and such. They roll on 4" thermoplastic swivel casters like these https://casterconnection.com/blog/road-case-casters-and-wheels-available-at-caster-connection

What type of casters work well on rough concrete? It looks like the finished the concrete with a dead chicken. I tried soft rubber economy casters and those didn't work out.

Should I buy hard plastic, hard rubber, pneumatic, ...?

This is for a drum sander that weighs about 300 pounds.