PDA

View Full Version : Adhering brass to wood

Robert Goodwin
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
I am in the planning stages of a Marking and Mortise gauge. I have two small kids, so it seems like I am always in the planning stage, but never in the building stageJ. Anyway, I have noticed many gauges that have brass wear strips located in the fence of the gauges. These look like they are just set into dados. I assume there is some soft of adhesive holding them in, as I do not see any screws. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

Roger Fitzsimonds
07-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi Rob,

THe other nite on Woodworks David Marks used epoxy to stick brass rod in the a door pull and the cabinet. That might work for you in this case.

Good Luck :)
Roger

Doug Evans
07-16-2003, 5:01 PM
Many had cast wear strips with spike-like tie baks that were anchored in the wood.
Regards,

Doug

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-16-2003, 7:43 PM
I would think that any good 2 part epoxy would hold the brass in there just fine. Make sure you cut your recess in the wood snug, and epoxy the peice in. You can clean up any squeeze out with Acetone. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth will take the uncured epoxy right off. Just be careful with Acetone...........although it dries VERY quickly, it is also HIGHLY flammable. DAMHIKT! Good luck, please share a picture with us when you get the project complete. :D

Bill Roland
07-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Try this link for all gluing problems. http://www.thistothat.com/

Robert Goodwin
07-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks All.

If it stays 117 degrees this weekend, the outside work might have to wait till next week, and I may get a few minutes in the shop.. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Rob