PDA

View Full Version : Fritsjurgens system 3 hinge deep mortise

Michael Boyet
06-05-2021, 3:45 PM
Hello guys

Need to make a very deep mortiser for the fritsjurgens system 3 hinge. It needs to be 6” deep approximately.

Paul F Franklin
06-05-2021, 4:38 PM
That's quite a hinge. If I was doing only a couple, I'd be inclined to bore two holes for the "bulges" on the sides of the main tube, and then bore out the main round hole with a forstener bit and extension(s). Then finish with two routed slots for the plate. Or, depending on what this is going into, build in space for the deep part of the hinge by leaving a gap in the underlying framework, and then routing slots for the plate. I hope you can do this on a bench and drill press and not have to make the mortise in an existing door frame.

How does the manufacturer suggest doing it?

Michael Boyet
06-05-2021, 5:10 PM
we are going to be making the doors so we do have the option of doing this before the door is assembled. I can’t find any manufacturers suggestions but they do seem widely used so I’m sure there is a standard practice.

thanks for the tips

That's quite a hinge. If I was doing only a couple, I'd be inclined to bore two holes for the "bulges" on the sides of the main tube, and then bore out the main round hole with a forstener bit and extension(s). Then finish with two routed slots for the plate. Or, depending on what this is going into, build in space for the deep part of the hinge by leaving a gap in the underlying framework, and then routing slots for the plate. I hope you can do this on a bench and drill press and not have to make the mortise in an existing door frame.

How does the manufacturer suggest doing it?

Jamie Buxton
06-05-2021, 5:36 PM
One way to make that big mortise is to assemble the door's bottom rail from three layers of wood glued together. Where you want the mortise, you leave out the middle layer of wood.