PDA

View Full Version : A work in progress

Wolf Kiessling
01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Usually I don't post anything until it is finished but I'll post this one now because it is going to take a couple, three months to finish. Maybe more. This is catalpa and, as you can see, I am carving it with a sunflower motif. The carving is still in the very rough stage and the clean up is going to take much longer than the rough carving. Well, that is a stupid statement as that is usually the case. I have plenty of time to finish, don't really need it until September. The design is progressing as I work on it. I do not have a predrawn pattern for this. I am going to surprise myself in this case.

John Hart
01-10-2006, 12:50 PM
That is going to be great Wolf!! I can't get over your patience. I guess that's something I have to work on though:o

So, when you do your cleanup, do you use power tools or is this all accomplished with hand tools or a combination?

Can't wait to see this finished!

Mark Cothren
01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Lookin' great! Please keep us posted w/ updates.

Rich Stewart
01-10-2006, 1:03 PM
What da........? You carving that by hand? Man, I wish I had patience like that. No patience coupled with ZERO artistic ability pretty much assures me of never doing anything like that. Really pretty. I, too, look forward to later posts.

Keith Burns
01-10-2006, 1:05 PM
Man, that is WAY COOL !:) :)

Wolf Kiessling
01-10-2006, 1:43 PM
That is going to be great Wolf!! I can't get over your patience. I guess that's something I have to work on though:o

So, when you do your cleanup, do you use power tools or is this all accomplished with hand tools or a combination?

Can't wait to see this finished!

I don't use much in the way of power tools when relief carving. Since this work is being done in my lap, I rarely even use long handled tools as it's difficult to use a mallet in this circumstance. Mostly palm tools. There is going to be a tremendous amount of hand sanding involved. I have found that in highly detailed stuff like this the "sanding stix" come in super handy.

I use power as much as possible and, in a carving such as this, the small Dremel powered blue, flame shaped Typhoon bit gets a little use. I also find the small diamond bits, mostly tapers, get a little use here.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2006, 2:48 PM
Wow Wolf that is awesome.

Michael Stafford
01-10-2006, 4:14 PM
I don't know any more superlatives... so I will just say that is gonna be a showpiece and then some....Wonderful, Wolf!!!!:D

Glenn Clabo
01-10-2006, 4:18 PM
Wicked nice Wolf...as usual I'm in awe of your talent.

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-10-2006, 6:05 PM
Beautiful! Just BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Ernie Nyvall
01-10-2006, 6:21 PM
I tried my hand at carving once... looked pretty good too, but when my hand heeled, all that was left were ugly scars.:rolleyes:

That looks great Wolf. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-10-2006, 6:25 PM
That is going to be an outstanding NE Form.

BTW, it looks like you put something on the bark to hold it on, if so, what is it.

Thanks,

Bruce

John Timberlake
01-10-2006, 6:27 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished, but I know it will take a lot of time. I have never carved catalpa. How is it to carve? And how about the end grain on this bowl?

Wolf Kiessling
01-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I tried my hand at carving once... looked pretty good too, but when my hand heeled, all that was left were ugly scars.:rolleyes:

That looks great Wolf. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ernie

Ernie, I ALWAYS say that you ain't a carver 'til you been bloodied.......

Wolf Kiessling
01-11-2006, 12:14 PM
That is going to be an outstanding NE Form.

BTW, it looks like you put something on the bark to hold it on, if so, what is it.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce, that bark is holding on there by what Mother Nature provided. It got no help from me whatsoever.......

Wolf Kiessling
01-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished, but I know it will take a lot of time. I have never carved catalpa. How is it to carve? And how about the end grain on this bowl?

John, catalpa is not too bad to carve. Matter of fact, I carve quite a bit of it because it is plentiful around here and doesn't cost me a cent. It is pretty soft BUT you have to be careful working it because it is very splintery. The end grain, of course, is harder but, all in all, if it comes down to buying bass wood or getting free catalpa, the catalpa gets the nod. I will qualify that statement by saying that if I am going to carve a human bust, I will buy the basswood. I carved a bust of Cochise a few years ago but didn't like the results because the prominent grain took away from the facial features. Of course, for the same reason, it is a wonderful wood for stylized sculptures. With no details to worry about, the grain adds a nice touch.