PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Maple and Cherry. (long with pics) 1 of 2

Martin Lutz
01-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I want to share with you my latest project. I completed this Quilted Maple and Cherry bedroom set just before Thanksgiving. It consists of a large chest of drawers ( 14 drawers), a lingerie chest with a jewelry box insert, and two nightstands. A king size sleigh bed and wall mirror wil follow. They were a lot of fun to build and the quilted maple just exploded when I put the finish on.

Some construction notes for those interested:

all of the cases are built traditionally with dovetail joinery and are solid cherry with the exception of the tops ( 1" MDF and veneer).
They have aromatic cedar dust panels.
The constructionis designed to allow for seasonal movement of the panels.
The interior web frames are solid motise and tenon in the front and sliding M and T in the back. ( Waxed)
The bases are attached by segmented sliding DT's.
The miters on the top trim are reinforced with splines in the front and a half lap/miter in the back.
All of the backs are finished frame and panel. They are removable for maintenance throught the years.
The drawer fronts are cut from wide cherry allowing two rows of drawers to have fronts that show the figure flowing one to the other. This really shows up on the big case.
All the drawers are dovetailed solid cherry with Accuride full extension, low profile slides.
I have yet to build the jewelry box insert for the lingerie chest but the brass necklace hangers are on the back of the doors.
FINISH: I sanded to 320g and followed that with BLO inside and out. The cases were sprayed with 4 coats satin NCL in and out (except the cedar). The tops screamed for clarity so I used gloss lacquer, I used the lacquer as a grain filler, sanding between coats, until the tops were flat and then sanded to 2000g, rottenstone polish, 3M finishing compound applied with automotive polisher. YEE HAH. I am not a big gloss finish fan but I really wanted clarity and to showcase the Quilted Maple.
I had them photographed. The photos still need some touch up.Thanks for looking.

Bill Simmeth
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
AWESOME! Very nice indeed - both pieces. You're right, the quilted did explode.

Why the color difference in the fourth picture of the dresser?

(Not sure which of the two threads to post to, so I'll try this one.)

Martin Lutz
01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
The color difference was due to the lighting that the photographer used. Also one is digital and one film (digitized).

Bob Winkler
01-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Certainly furniture to be treasured and that will endure for generations.

Thanks for sharing your efforts and I can't wait to see your next project.:)

Bob

John Stevens
01-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Some construction notes for those interested: [snip]

The interior web frames are solid motise and tenon in the front and sliding M and T in the back. ( Waxed) [snip]
The bases are attached by segmented sliding DT's. [snip]
All of the backs are finished frame and panel. They are removable for maintenance throught the years.Hi, Martin, nice work. (Understatement of the year.) Thanks for the construction notes. I'm pretty new to this, so I hope you don't mind fielding a few questions--

I know what a mortise and tenon joint is, but what's a sliding mortise & tenon?

I know what a sliding dovetail joint is, but what's a segmented sliding dovetail?

How did you make the backs removable?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

tod evans
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
martin those are very nice! i`m impressed..tod

Martin Lutz
01-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi John,

A sliding Moritise and tenon (my terminolgy by the way) is basically the same joint you are used to but is not glued or pinned. It is waxed. This is done to allow the web frame to expand and contract with the side panels. The side of the frame sits in a dado with a single screw (oversized hole) securing it to the side. This helps keep the side from bowing or warping.

Segmented DT -- the dovetail key is crossgrain to the panel so if it is solid the panel will not be able to move and eventually fail. The key is segmented in small sections to allow each section to move within the DT keyway.

The backs are set in rabbets and secured with washerhead screws.

I dont have good pics of these. Sorry.

Clear as mud??

Bill Simmeth
01-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Again, really nice! Interesting that the color would vary that much in the different pics. In actuality, is it closer to the "blonde" pic than the "red head"? Either way, gorgeous!!

I assume you are submitting final pictures to FWW? If not, you should!

Jason Tuinstra
01-10-2006, 1:11 PM
Martin, wow, wow, wow. Great piece of furniture. You obviously put a lot of work into this chest and it shows. Your attention to detail is to be commended. The quilted maple is a nice contrast wood as well. Excellent in every way.

Aaron Montgomery
01-10-2006, 1:21 PM
Outstanding work! I'd love to see larger pictures of your pieces.

John Stevens
01-10-2006, 1:56 PM
Clear as mud??

No, crystal clear. Thanks much.

Bob Noles
01-10-2006, 4:07 PM
Martin......

Absolutely astonishing work and wood stock. This is one one the nicer flat work projects I have seen around in awhile. I know you are proud and should be.... I would be anyhow ;)

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pieces with us.

Alan Turner
01-10-2006, 4:53 PM
Nice work, and good (in fact excellent) detailing on the construction methods. But, in light of the traditional approach to all else, why the drawer glides? Just ease of operation? Seems a counterpoint to the rest of the work.

Wonderful quilted maple; one of my favorite woods.

Vaughn McMillan
01-10-2006, 5:00 PM
Beautiful work, Martin. Another instant heirloom for sure. What a shame that maple looks so plain and ordinary, huh? ;) :p I'll bet it was a lot of fun putting the first coat of BLO and watching the quilt jump out at you.

- Vaughn

Martin Lutz
01-10-2006, 5:12 PM
Alan, I totally agree with you. In spite of my best efforts to talk them out of it the people with the cash wanted full extention on their drawers. I built the cases and drawers to accomodate more traditional slides/glides in the future. I would have loved to have done "friction fit" drawers as I have done on some other pieces. Maybe next time. Thanks for your comments

BTW -- great website.

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-10-2006, 6:40 PM
This has been done for over month and you're just now posting pictures? :eek: These kinds of things need to be posted before they even leave the shop! It's beautiful!

KC

Dave Malen
01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Martin,
Beautiful wood,great finishing,well thought out joinery. My wife was really impressed - now I'm going to be busy!:D

Dave