PDA

View Full Version : Replace horrible Jeldwen window latches

Stephen Tashiro
05-29-2021, 10:57 PM
I need window latches that work better than the horrible Jeldwen brand latches that are on all the sliding vinyl windows in a house. The Jeldwen latch (shown in photo) requires tugging to get the window to slide open and slamming to get the latch to close.

Mel Fulks
05-29-2021, 11:39 PM
I had those in a place I rented years ago. Mine worked well. Make sure you don’t have globs of paint on top and bottom rails. Spray the latches with a non- gumming lube.

Stephen Tashiro
05-30-2021, 4:18 AM
I had those in a place I rented years ago. Mine worked well. Make sure you don’t have globs of paint on top and bottom rails. Spray the latches with a non- gumming lube.

I'm going to install a different type of latch.

There's no paint on the latches. There are 7 sliding windows in the house and the Jeldwen latches on all of them are terrible.

Lisa Starr
05-30-2021, 6:24 AM
It is probably not the latches, but rather the window installation. If these are replacement windows, you may be able to remove them and re=install fairly easily. Making sure the window is square and plumb will make them work well.

Jim Matthews
05-30-2021, 8:14 AM
I'm going to install a different type of latch.

There's no paint on the latches. There are 7 sliding windows in the house and the Jeldwen latches on all of them are terrible.

Not for nothing, but do these jam all year around - or only when the AC is on?

Jerome Stanek
05-30-2021, 8:23 AM
Have had Jeldwen sliders in 2 houses and all the latches work very well I now have Jeldwen casement windows and really like them.

Stephen Tashiro
05-30-2021, 1:28 PM
Not for nothing, but do these jam all year around - or only when the AC is on?

They jam in all seasons. The house doesn't have AC yet.

The photo shows a better design for a latch, but it comes on a window where the frame of the stationary pane has a channel in it to accept the end of the latch.

Jim Matthews
05-30-2021, 3:00 PM
They jam in all seasons. The house doesn't have AC yet.

We put in triple pane vinyl windows in 2015. I find that some of the openings have reduced in height enough to make closing difficult. These are (of course) the windows I can't easily reach.

I must keep those scrupulously clean and forcibly "seat" the upper sash for the latches to engage.

Might I suggest a single trial before you buy a full set of replacement latches?

It may also be useful to mount two latches on either side of center with larger spans.

Best of luck, this is a maddening problem.

Bruce Volden
05-30-2021, 3:22 PM
Not to hijack this thread but I had similar troubles with Anderson windows with the "crank out" type latches.
At $60 a pop I got tired of that price and replaced the windows with similar style latches that you have pictured.
Hope I didn't go wrong--been 4 years since and no problems yet!!

Bruce