PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Type 19 No. 3 Adjuster Too Tight No Matter....

Brandt Bolding
05-29-2021, 5:03 PM
I recently inherited a pair of Type 19 Stanley smoothers. The no. 4 works like an absolute dream after total overhaul and with Hock blade/breaker. The No. 3 is a different story. The frog was dressed/moderately lapped just as as I had done with the No. 4 - but no matter how loose the lever cap was set - as soon as lever was pushed down the adjustment nut became really tight needing two fingers and quite a bit of pressure to rotate. The nut on the No. 4 by contrast operates easily with one finger and moderate pressure from lever cap? I checked the trough in the adjustment nut that the yoke tips ride in - and noticed there was some grinding away of the brass nut. So I then lightly filed/dressed burrs that were on the yoke tips and very lightly sanding away grind marks from the trough. Added teflon lube to all surfaces including frog surface and result still the same. Note that the nut freely and easily on threaded rod with lever cap unengaged. Any thoughts about what the "culprit" might be here? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2021, 7:27 PM
Hi Brandt and welcome to the Creek.

My first thought is wear the yoke engages the chip breaker may be long enough to be hitting against the lever cap.

Another problem could be the underside of this could be slightly fat and lifting the blade enough for it to jam when the lever cap is tightened.

If this doesn't help, you may need to post some images. If my memory is working, members can post images. To see them one has to be a contributor, a good investment of $6.

Another suggestion is to include your location in your profile. You may live near another member who would be willing to help in person.

jtk

Brandt Bolding
05-29-2021, 8:59 PM
Thanks Jim for feedback. I'm going to look at these two possibilities you mentioned tomorrow...we'll see. Image post could be good too...will consider that.

Assaf Oppenheimer
05-31-2021, 3:54 AM
Hi,

To me it sounds more like the brass adjuster threading is worn and so it binds under pressure (possible damaged steel threads but that is less likely).
quick test - swap the brass screw between your planes - if the problem moves to the other plane, there is your answer, if it docent and the new brass adjuster threads well, I would look elsewhere

Goodluck!

Brandt Bolding
05-31-2021, 7:47 AM
Thanks Assaf. I have a few of the same nuts, so will try these and see.