PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Composter

Dave Lehnert
05-29-2021, 1:01 AM
Can anyone recommend a composter. Kinda like the tumbling type.

I saw the Miracle Gro composter at Menards for $89 but the reviews are not so good.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2021, 1:28 AM
How much material do you have to compost?

One problem with a tumbling composter is it can't hold a lot.

It might be easier to use one of a vertical composter design where the raw material is loaded through the top and removed from the bottom as it becomes composted.

jtk

Gail Ludwig
05-29-2021, 7:56 AM
I bought a blue barrel ($15) drilled about ten 1” holes in it for ventilation, cut a door into the side and put some hinges on it and a toggle thing to keep the door closed. The end of the barrel comes off for easy emptying. I dump in my compost and periodically roll it around a bit and even stand it on its end sometimes. Works like a charm. I made this barrel about 15 years ago and it still is solid. I dump it about twice a year.

Dave Lehnert
05-29-2021, 2:49 PM
I bought a blue barrel ($15) drilled about ten 1” holes in it for ventilation, cut a door into the side and put some hinges on it and a toggle thing to keep the door closed. The end of the barrel comes off for easy emptying. I dump in my compost and periodically roll it around a bit and even stand it on its end sometimes. Works like a charm. I made this barrel about 15 years ago and it still is solid. I dump it about twice a year.

I was thinking of doing that exact same thing. Happen to have a pic?

Prashun Patel
05-29-2021, 6:24 PM
I have an envirocycle. It’s excellent. And expensive :(. I really need 2. 1 can cook while I fill the other. But the high price makes that tough to justify.

Bernie Kopfer
05-29-2021, 9:29 PM
If you are thinking of using the composter as a fill it one time and then let it percolate until done all might go well. If you want to add material as it is composting you will upset the cycle and sometimes have a stinking awful mess. Composting is a good bit of science that if applied correctly yields abundant soil amendment.Tumblers are great but not if you want to be continually adding material.

Gail Ludwig
05-30-2021, 8:34 AM
I was thinking of doing that exact same thing. Happen to have a pic?

This is my blue barrel. This one is over a decade old.....so they last!

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2021, 2:39 PM
Search "DIY Tumbling Composter," for ideas on how to build one. After reading this thread yesterday, spent some time watching videos. Interesting.

Walter Mooney
05-30-2021, 4:11 PM
I got a 55- gallon plastic drum, that once had vinegar in it, from a friend, and built one for the wife. It's up high enough (on pressure treated 2x's) to be able to put the wheelbarrow under it to empty it, but not too high to be easily filled with kitchen scraps on a regular basis. In addition to the hinged door, I cut a piece of 3" thin-wall pvc pipe lengthwise into two pieces, and screwed them to the inside of the drum on opposing 'sides', to add to the tumbling activity within (as long as she rotates it in the correct direction). The axle is a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe. The whole thing wasn't really too hard to do. I even made my own 3' centering 'jig' to find the exact center of each end of the drum, even though it has a seam running across the end.

Dave Lehnert
06-02-2021, 10:25 PM
I got a 55- gallon plastic drum, that once had vinegar in it, from a friend, and built one for the wife. It's up high enough (on pressure treated 2x's) to be able to put the wheelbarrow under it to empty it, but not too high to be easily filled with kitchen scraps on a regular basis. In addition to the hinged door, I cut a piece of 3" thin-wall pvc pipe lengthwise into two pieces, and screwed them to the inside of the drum on opposing 'sides', to add to the tumbling activity within (as long as she rotates it in the correct direction). The axle is a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe. The whole thing wasn't really too hard to do. I even made my own 3' centering 'jig' to find the exact center of each end of the drum, even though it has a seam running across the end.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. think I will make one.