PDA

View Full Version : Router Circle Cutting Jig

Clarence Martinn
05-28-2021, 4:30 PM
If you are making a cake stand, for example, and you don't have enough swing on your Lathe to turn the top, can you cut the top part out to round; with a Router Circle cutting Jig ???

ChrisA Edwards
05-28-2021, 4:37 PM
Yes, I have the Milescraft circle cutting jig, used many times, works great.

Got mine at Home Depot
https://www.milescraft.com/product/circleguidekit/

Eric Cothern
05-28-2021, 4:47 PM
I take a strip of plywood, attach my router to one end and nail the end as my center. Easy and cheap.

Earl McLain
05-28-2021, 7:56 PM
I’ve made a few that were okay-ish, but I splurged on the old version of the Jasper 200–nice tool. Don’t use it a ton, but it does exactly what it says.
earl

Curt Putnam
05-28-2021, 8:29 PM
If you want precision and have $$$, then Micro Fence

Rich Engelhardt
05-29-2021, 6:17 AM
If you make a shop made one - make sure it's plenty stiff & sturdy.
I made one out of 1/4" plywood that had too much slop. I broke 4 bits trying to cut a circle.

The late Pat Warner advised me to use something with less give.

Jacques Gagnon
05-29-2021, 9:23 AM
Good results can be achieved using the bandsaw to cut circles.

Regards,

J.

Charles Lent
05-29-2021, 12:42 PM
I have 2 sizes of Jasper jigs, but lately I've been using my CRB7 jig with one of my 1 or 2 1/4 hp routers for cutting circles. The CRB7 is considerably more costly than a piece of plywood for cutting circles, but it can make circle cuts of any size from about 2" up to about 4' diameter. With the other parts and options, there are many uses for a CRB7 that end up making it a very useful router accessory to have because it does way more than just cut circles. Watch this video to decide if it's right for you. There are several other videos covering the CRB7 and it's uses, but this one is very clear and easy to understand, since it is visual only with no sales pitch.

I'm just a very satisfied user with no involvement in the M Power company.

Charley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9loBLskBhE

Paul Haus
05-29-2021, 7:41 PM
I've made a couple of them in the past. Simply a 7/16" piece of steel rod (same size as the shafts on my router fence) with about a 3" tab welded to one end. Drill a hole roughly in like with the router collet and you're done.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-30-2021, 12:45 PM
I take a strip of plywood, attach my router to one end and nail the end as my center. Easy and cheap.

They guy at a local woodworking store suggested we do that rather than buying the expensive jig. Worked just fine.

If perfection does not matter, just draw the circle, but to it with a band saw / jig saw / take your pick, then clean it up with a sander or similar.

Also, if you need a few, make one and use it as a template for the others for a router and an appropriate pattern bit.

I usually just make my cake parts from thick cardboard then cover with aluminum foil

Dave Cav
05-30-2021, 3:33 PM
I've got the Jasper 200 and 400; they work well but were primarily designed for making speaker cutouts. I agree that for a few, make one template then use a router table with a pattern bit.

Prashun Patel
05-30-2021, 6:00 PM
Yes. Not sure I understand your question. A circle can be cut with the lathe, a router trammel or a bandsaw. All require some sanding. Imho, holes are best cut with a router; discs are best cut with a band saw.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2021, 6:22 PM
I have the MicroFence circle jig. Works great but expensive.

Mike

Curt Putnam
05-30-2021, 8:29 PM
I have the MicroFence circle jig. Works great but expensive.

Mike
So, is the edge guide as precise as he says? Any more precise than the PC or Festool edge guides? His plunge bases for the palm routers are things of beauty.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2021, 11:52 PM
So, is the edge guide as precise as he says? Any more precise than the PC or Festool edge guides? His plunge bases for the palm routers are things of beauty.

The advantage that I see to the MicroFence is the accuracy of the adjustment. It's easy and precise to adjust the jig to take a small amount more cut. I don't have experience with the PC or Festool guides.

Like most circle jigs, you have to make a center point hole or mark to pivot the jig. If I have to use the jig on the show side of the work, I'll glue a thin piece of wood with paper between it and the work. I put the pivot hole in that piece of wood before gluing it.

MicroFence has a vacuum center point device but it's fairly expensive and I haven't bought one. It allows you to do a pivot on the show side without a hole.

Mike

Curt Putnam
05-31-2021, 10:02 PM
Thank you sir, I've been looking for an excuse to buy MF stuff over the years. Just never needed his solutions and especially at the premium prices.

Alan Lightstone
06-01-2021, 10:07 AM
MicroFence has a vacuum center point device but it's fairly expensive and I haven't bought one. It allows you to do a pivot on the show side without a hole.

Mike

I've used it. And it does work. I hate having the hole in the middle of a project. I can never patch it so that it's invisible.

The Microfence system is nice. But a little complex and definitely very expensive. Their old LED lights became useless quickly, but I believe they redesigned that and I believe they are much better now.

Bob Riefer
06-01-2021, 11:01 AM
I’ve made a few that were okay-ish, but I splurged on the old version of the Jasper 200–nice tool. Don’t use it a ton, but it does exactly what it says.
earl

I also have the Jasper and it works very nicely when I need a perfect circle. I was able to setup and use this the first time in less than 10 minutes, so I would rate as "very easy". $40 well spent in my opinion.

Here's the one I bought (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009K77A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)