PDA

View Full Version : something different

Gordon Achterhof
01-10-2006, 9:44 AM
Thought I would try something different and before I destroy it I think that I will try a picture.

Jeremiah Jordan
01-10-2006, 9:48 AM
Woah. Looks Awesome. Just one Question, how you do that?

Jeremiah

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Yes, if you can, please provide how-to pics on that...

That is neat!

Mike Ramsey
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeh, what they said...How did you get 2-3rds of an Atom into
that blank ? :) .

Gordon Achterhof
01-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Can't claim that it is my idea. But it is not hard to do with a little thought. Lets see if I can describe the routine.

Start with a square of wood of what ever length that you want and cut it into two pieces at about a 60 degree angle. Cut a thin slice of contrasting wood and glue between your two initial pieces. This should give you a lamination at a 60 degree angle. Trim the insert to match. this should give you your origional piece with a contrasting piece in it.

Now the fun begins. Mark the sides of your origional piece one thru four with side one being the first cut. Rotate the assembly 90 degrees and get ready to make another 60 degree cut. The secret of the whole thing is that you have to figure out how much wood must be removed from the second cut so the insert will start and finish at the same elevation as the first. Do sides three and four the same way and the finisted product should have the insert lines starting at the same distance from the end. both top and bottom.

Then turn it and you will end up with what I came up with.

Cheers
Gordon

Gordon Achterhof
01-10-2006, 1:30 PM
Here is a pic of the first cut (mockup). once glued, all other cuts are made the same way making sure that the entrance and exit are at the same height.

Jeremiah Jordan
01-10-2006, 2:02 PM
O I see now. Thats cool. Thanks for sharing, do the 4 times and you can have an interesting peice, just one last question i think that you mention cutting them at 60 degree angles, any reason for this?

thanks

Jeremiah

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2006, 2:46 PM
Looks awesome Gordon. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
01-10-2006, 3:05 PM
This is really kewel, Gordon. Thanks for sharing it!

Gordon Achterhof
01-10-2006, 3:52 PM
I knew that someone would catch me. the 60 degree angle is the limit of my little mitre gage.

The picture is the end result and proof of concept.

Cheers
Gordon

Michael Stafford
01-10-2006, 4:11 PM
OOOOH Gordon, that is so cool. I see all kinds of possibilities for this in the turning of end grain boxes. I may have to try this myself and see how it works out on a box. Really excellent idea.:D :cool:

Jeremiah Jordan
01-10-2006, 4:49 PM
Nice Gordon. That looks fantastic.

Jeremiah

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-10-2006, 6:36 PM
Good Job Gordon!

Bruce

Bill Stevener
01-10-2006, 8:36 PM
Hi Gordon.
Really good job, turned out very well.
I tried that about a year ago and found the trick is to replace the contrasting lamination's with a thickness the same as the saw cut width. In other words, replace what you cut away, if that makes sense.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)