PDA

View Full Version : Does it go?

Dave Richards
01-10-2006, 9:04 AM
Here's a wall sconce that I drew. Can't take credit for the design but I drew it so I could make one or more of these. Problem is the lamp shade. Does this one go with lamp? For an idea of the scale of the thing, the lamp shade is 10" across the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/WallSconceSmall.jpg
And if you're having a difficult time seeing this, here's a link to a larger version of it: Wall Sconce (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/wallsconce.jpg)

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2006, 9:13 AM
I certainly think that it does! I really like it, the shade appears to be about the same height as the attachment peice to the wall, looks good to me :)

Nathan Hoffman
01-10-2006, 9:35 AM
I really like the style of the holder, but the shade does, in my opinion, overwhelm it a little. Unless the intention is to showcase the lampshade, with the holder secondary...
I think the way the holder is constructed is perfect for the style of the shade.

Just my .02

Nathan

Bart Leetch
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
I like the lamps & shade but do you think the shade could be downsized about 1/4 ?:)

Dave Richards
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I've resized the square one to make it smaller and drawn a round one. Keep in mind these shades were made up out of my head so I'll probably have to make them as well as the light. The frames on the shades are intended to look like copper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/WallSconce2Small.jpg

John Miliunas
01-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Dave, I like the second revision with the smaller square shade. However, the AC style "holder", IMHO, does not do it for me w/the round shade. Seams that the styles don't match so, I'd say exnay on the round one and thumbs up on the square with the smaller shade.:) :cool:

Dan Oliphant
01-10-2006, 5:07 PM
The smaller square shade is the best, and goes quite nicely with the base design.

Frank Chaffee
01-10-2006, 9:07 PM
Dave,
I find it difficult to respond to your question of whether a given shade works with a sconce design without knowing where and for what purpose the light is to be cast.

A reading table along a wall needs to have light directed down along that wall; a dining table butted to a wall will need light projected out from that wall; a hallway may need light for direction and the highlighting of statuary. Ambiance lighting in a room is specific to that room.

Each of the shades you have shown will accentuate the fine joinery of the wall bracket, and the warmth of the copper and the translucent diffuser on the shade compliment the wood well.

Will the bulb socket itself be viewed from close-up? If so, I recommend an architectural grade fixture, or a shade that will obscure it.

Why does the wall bracket part of the sconce project so high above the bottom of the shade? It is not visible there. If the fixture were lifted upwards on a brass rod, light cast downwards would light that part and showcase inlay, an escutcheon, what have you. As it is now it seems extraneous.

No matter where you take this Dave, you are way ahead of me.

Frank

Jim DeLaney
01-10-2006, 9:58 PM
I like the revised square shade. It'd look really good with mica panels in it instead of paper/cloth. Mica would also give it even more of an A&C flavor.

<Center><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue">Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.</FONT></Center>

Lars Thomas
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
The round shade doesn't work for me. The small square one looks perfect. I would reconsider making the end of the two horizontal pieces the lamp is mounted to rounded. I think I would have one horizontal piece (maybe 1-3/8 to 1-5/8 square) and make it (uh oh how to spell) pymyridial. That would match the four corner 'plugs'. Lars

Dave Richards
01-11-2006, 1:10 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'm trying to digest them all. I think the sconces will still get some changes so don't panic.

Giving the sconces some context. I did get rid of the back piece of the wall plate. Keep in mind, I didn't design the sconce itself. I just drew it up. My apologies to those who dislike the square shades. These aren't a for sure thing but I kind of like the square ones. I am going to play with a more pyramidal shape, though.

The picture frame was drawn from a picture of a mirror frame I found on the net. I couldn't get a believable mirror look without running it through a rendering program or creating some additonal furniture which would bloat the file size. So I just inserted a Maxfield Parrish print.

The sideboard is based on plans for one I found on line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/sideboardandsconces.jpg

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 8:51 PM
Dave,
First I want to complement your rendering abilities using SketchUp. The perspectives you have presented here are the best I’ve seen, and your skill in texturing has improved in leaps and bounds over this last year! The speed with which you put your presentations together is also impressive.

The design tool that I have decided is most useful for me right now is TurboCad, as I have only worked at top, front and right side level thus far. If I progress beyond that I will be looking to your guidance (and maybe also Todd’s), in using SketchUp.

The boat cradle you built for your son is wonderful.

The sideboard you show beneath the mirror and sconces has very pleasing proportions. I’ve been studying books lately that show golden section forms, and I don’t need to measure that sideboard to see what it is about. It speaks for itself; and very loudly. The hardware is also well shaped and placed.

Please understand that I have never been paid for creating an aesthetically pleasing design… sure, I have sent out a few bills, but that is as far as it has gone.

I only hope that if and when I ask for critique of a design, you will be frank with me as I have come to trust your eye.

Thank you for putting the sconces in context. Seeing them from a distance also helps me to gain a sense of scale that was lacking in the close-up view.

I see a sconce as a two part unit; first the supporting structure, and secondly the light and its diffusion. I feel that the light is the primary object, and the support the subordinate object. Therefore, attention should be drawn to the light, not the support.

So I would make the lampshade larger than the base.

The pyramidal form of the shade works well with the rectangular form of the base.

If the sconces are to light the subject reflected in the mirror, shouldn’t they be placed higher?

Frank

Dan Oelke
01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Just to add my 2 cents. I like the square design as well - but you mentioned copper panels. What about something translucent. Some type of plastic of course is cheap but a thin stone would be very nice. Of course some people turn wood shades thin enough to glow, and I suppose you could do the same with a flat wood panel but I don't know if it would look right, and suspect that you might have problems with stability over time.

Dave Richards
01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Frank, thanks for your compliments and comments. Building this stuff is a long way from reality so I'll continue to work on refining all of it. As to the height of the lights, I just took a guess at how they needed to be. The mirror frame is dimensioned from the dimensions given for the piece I worked from. I agree that a slightly longer rectangle would look better.

Dan, sorry if I gave you the impression that the lamp shades have copper panels. What I intended with the drawing is that the frame of the shade would be copper with mica panels.

Dan Oelke
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Hmmmm - I should read closer next time - you clearly said copper frames. oooopppppps!