PDA

View Full Version : Trim Saws

Dan McLaughlin
07-16-2003, 5:56 AM
Anyone out there using a trim saw on a regular basis. I'm looking at both the cordless DeWalt and the corded Makita, both used. Not a specifc project in mind - just wondering how useful it might be with the shallow depth of cut. I have an heavy Milwaukee as my circular saw of choice and an old B&D to cut anything that doesn't need a straight cut :rolleyes:

Tony Sade
07-16-2003, 8:24 AM
I have a small shop and use a PC 4&1/2 trim saw (Model #314) to cut large ply stock down to size. A bit pricey, but it works great, especially with one of the plywood blades on it. I've only heard good things about this saw from others. HTH, Tony

Bob Lasley
07-16-2003, 9:12 AM
Dan,

I have the PC 19.2 volt cordless. I can make about 5 cuts the length of a sheet of 3/4 plywood before I have to change batteries. I mainly use it anytime I only need to make two or three cuts. It is quite handy for times like that. The saw came in a kit with a drill that I caught at Lowes on a closeout price that was too good to pass up. Having used it now, I would not pay retail price for just the saw and would instead buy a quality corded saw.

Bob

Perry Schmidt
07-16-2003, 2:05 PM
I have a 14.4V DeWalt. Generally I don't use it much, but if I gotta make a couple of quick cuts for the fence, or shed it's pretty handy not to have to drag out a cord.

Where I found it most useful was roof work - when I added on and doing all the roof sheeting, was fantastic! Cut down the 1/2" sheet goods on the roof w/out any problems, worked great and no cord!

So definitely useful when used. But generally I don't use it much, and more of a convenience than a 'necessity.'

Perry

Dar Lounsbury
07-16-2003, 3:44 PM
Our shop also uses the PC 314 trim saw. With 6 people, someone is using it everyday. Zero trouble in over 10 years, we love it.

Rob Russell
07-16-2003, 4:30 PM
Dan,

I have one of the 18v Dewalt cordless saws. It was part of a kit with the drill and 2 batteries. My original intent was to use it for chopping up pallets for lumber/firewood.

When the batteries were fresh, it could rip an 8' piece of plywood without really slowing down. The batteries are several years old now (the older XR2, not the XR2+ version) and are getting tired. They won't take as good a charge.

I still use it when I only need to make a quick cut. I especially like the fact that the blade is on the left hand side. So much, that I bought a left-bladed PC framing saw as my primary pigtailed saw when I had the chance to get a pristine one on the Home Depot clearance table. I've never had a case when it wouldn't cut deeply enough, although I've never tried a 45 degree bevel with it (need a 6" blade for that).

If you're only going to make an occasional cut, the battery powered one is probably fine. If you expect to use it a lot - I'd go for the power of the corded one.

Rob