PDA

View Full Version : Rabbet plane operation reality check please

Scott Winners
05-26-2021, 12:52 AM
I picked up a Record 778 this weekend, unknown vintage. As near as I can tell it is factory fresh, it still had rotary grinder marks on the iron back and iron bevel, and there is enough blue paint in the little notch (pictured) that I can't actually deploy the knicker. The price was right, 50 American dollars for what appears to be nearly new in box old stock. One chip of paint gone off the bottom of the tote, and one tiny nick in the edge that was gone with back flattening before I got started on the bevel. It might be the same thing as a Stanley 78 only made in England, not sure.

When I was making the first rabbet after sharpening I had some portion of shavings getting accordion folded up in the mouth on the depth stop side, but mostly getting ejected out the guide side. Is that normal? It seems like it maybe depends on how the grain is running in the stock, because sometimes the whole shaving would come out the guide side.

Blade projection. Reading up on it most folks I found online were talking about having the blade stick out "1-2 millimeters" past the body of the plane to keep the wall of the rabbet square to the face of the board. I eyeballed it, my rabbet came out square, but I only measured about half a millimeter of blade projecting out the side of the body casting afterwards. Just go with it?

First few passes I had the set screws all finger tight, but the guide rail and depth stop were both flapping in the breeze before I was making full length passes. I went back to finger tight and then tightened the set screws 1/8 turn with a screw driver and everything held good and right and true. Go with it, or look at my technique so I don't need a screwdriver for the plane to hold set screw settings in use?

I can see a bit of rust in one of the through holes in the body casting for the guide bars the guide plate runs on. How agressive do I need to be about that and what product can I put on a bottle brush to deal with it?

About the knicker, how tight do I want that mouth opening? Three sides are the body casting, with the depth stop over the gap closing the mouth. I don't want to open it up "too much;" so I guess I am asking how much is enough? Also, the three leaves on the knicker all seem to be slightly different sizes and only one of the three has any kind of bevel honed onto it. Should I probably just finish sharpening the one so it works for me now and leave the other two leaves or blades alone until I get into a spot and need a different bevel on the knicker?

I truly don't know any of these things. I have studiously avoided vintage specialty planes because missing parts are so difficult to source up here. Baileys I can get parts for, but for shoulder planes and router planes and so on I have been sticking to LV and LN so I can just open the box and go.

Pics are in Doug Fir construction lumber that has been in my shop about 8 months, probably about 12-14% MC. Fairly straight grain. Primary bevel at 25 degrees, secondary at 34 degrees because of the blade shape and my honing guide interaction, 4k diamond grit. Start to finish it had made its own home in under two hours, glad I took a chance on it.

Jim Koepke
05-26-2021, 2:33 AM
It might be the same thing as a Stanley 78 only made in England, not sure.

The #778 has two rods holding the fence. The #78 only has one. The blade depth adjusters are also different.

When I was making the first rabbet after sharpening I had some portion of shavings getting accordion folded up in the mouth

It looks like you are taking a rather thick shaving. See the next response.

Blade projection. Reading up on it most folks I found online were talking about having the blade stick out "1-2 millimeters" past the body of the plane to keep the wall of the rabbet square to the face of the board.

There seems to be many ways people use to set blade projection. What works for me is to install the blade with a slight projection. Then press the side of the plane on a flat surface. This will set the blade flush with the side of the plane or slightly proud. This also requires the edge to be square and sharp up to the edge. Looking at the blade you will also notice the sides of the blade also have a bevel. It doesn't have to be sharp like the cutting edge, but it shouldn't be rounded over.

When cutting a rabbet the edge on the fence side of the plane will be off of the wood. This will also change the dynamics of the shaving's exit.

First few passes I had the set screws all finger tight, but the guide rail and depth stop were both flapping in the breeze before I was making full length passes.

This is a problem with my #778. Yours is likely newer since mine doesn't have the screwdriver slots to tighten it. My solution was to check/tighten each screw on the back stroke. After a while it was changed to using a padded pliers to tighten the fence screws. The depth stop & screw were also modified with pressure sensitive adhesive and a washer. A post with this and making a front knob are here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?254976

A rosewood fence was also added.

About the knicker, how tight do I want that mouth opening? Three sides are the body casting, with the depth stop over the gap closing the mouth. I don't want to open it up "too much;" so I guess I am asking how much is enough? Also, the three leaves on the knicker all seem to be slightly different sizes and only one of the three has any kind of bevel honed onto it. Should I probably just finish sharpening the one so it works for me now and leave the other two leaves or blades alone until I get into a spot and need a different bevel on the knicker?

Knicker and mouth opening are not related. You will likely do fine to leave the mouth as it is unless the blade is actually touching the front of it. The mouth only needs to be a few thousandths wider than your shavings.

Most folks have only one edge on the knicker sharpened. Some will make one side with a straight flat bevel. Others like to make a rounded bevel following the shape of the "clover leaf." Either one will work. The bevel should be on the inside so the outside is inline with the side of the plane.

Hope this helps.

jtk

Jim Matthews
05-26-2021, 6:59 AM
+1 on heavy shaving.

Note the "slope" of grain on rabbet cuts - if you're forced to cut into "rising grain" where the fibers face you as you plane lighter cuts will reduce lifting and tear out.

Be aware that side of the rabbet plane blade that engages the side of the rabbet should be sharp and relieved to less than 90°.

In practice, I clean up rabbets with a shoulder plane or chisel.