PDA

View Full Version : What wood for Coffee grinder

Matthew Curtis
05-20-2021, 5:25 PM
I am going to make a coffee grinder by using one of the hardware kits form Rockler. What are good species of wood for this project?

Earl McLain
05-20-2021, 8:21 PM
I don't know if it's suitable--but every time i look at that hardware i think of the symmetry of using Kentucky Coffee Tree.
earl

Matthew Curtis
05-22-2021, 8:42 AM
Are there any woods that you would not use?

Ron Citerone
05-22-2021, 9:20 AM
My only thought would be to avoid light colored wood. I have a multi species cutting board that I pour my Melita coffe on and it has overflowed at times. It has a salad bowl finish on it and it shows a color wher the coffee has been on it. That's all I got.

Jim Morgan
05-22-2021, 9:43 AM
Beech is commonly used for cooking treen, because it does not impart any flavors of its own.

John K Jordan
05-22-2021, 11:21 AM
I am going to make a coffee grinder by using one of the hardware kits form Rockler. What are good species of wood for this project?

For any wood in contact with food I like to use wood with fine grain: dogwood, maple, olivewood, etc.

Curt Putnam
05-22-2021, 10:36 PM
It is said that all wood finishes, when properly and fully cured, are food safe. That being the case, a good varnish or water-based topcoat would seem to make just about any wood usable. Once encased in the finish, I'm not sure that the wood could affect the coffee.

Carroll Courtney
05-23-2021, 7:14 AM
Wonder if Mesquite would be a good choice? Black coffee with a hint of mesquite, well there's a guy at work who uses those K cups that has pecan in it.