PDA

View Full Version : Langdon Box

Jack Frederick
05-20-2021, 12:21 PM
We have an artist friend who has kinda fallen on hard times so my wife asked if he would do a painting for us. Not a lot of money, but we are looking forward to seeing it. The question arose, “How shall it be framed?” So I pointed to the shop and said we could do it. Pictured is the sub frame and the unassembled 1.75x2.75 black walnut sections. Once the legs were ripped and planed I realized we could book match L&R/top and bottom. Sometimes better lucky than good. I’ve had the Millers Falls box for a few years and have done only occasional joints with it. With all the machinery to do this work it has really been a joy to unlimber the Langdon and it has been absolutely on the money for accuracy. I think I will send the saw out to Mr Taran for sharpening and assessment. I have a couple other saws that I will try to sharpen, but on the Simmons I’d like pro help. You can see the soap-stone line on the miters.
It has been fun working with this fellow. The walnut was harvested from the property years ago and the big 4’ black is prominently shown in the painting I’m told. He won’t let us see it until it is framed. He says, “Can you imagine how much this would cost in a frame shop...” I told him it is a just a T&M job;)457979457981457983

Jim Koepke
05-20-2021, 2:53 PM
Looks great.

Looking forward to seeing it with its painting.

jtk

Phil Mueller
05-22-2021, 7:28 AM
Nicely done, Jack. Love the fact that you could use timber from your own tree. And yes, I always look forward to pulling out the Langdon miter box. Pete will do you right on the saw, for sure.