PDA

View Full Version : custom lasered USB memory drives

Ian Stewart-Koster
05-19-2021, 11:07 AM
I have an order for about 50 or so USB memory sticks, of 8 gig, with data I've scanned, OCRed and PDFed from several books.
It's all legitimate, and with the blessing of the original copyright owner, despite the books I scanned being 80+ years old.
(I bought a nice book scanner last year, and I was able to get through about 1000 pages in 50 minutes' scanning)

But rather than sell them on a plain normal memory stick, I wanted to value-ad, by lasering the logo of the book on the outside, and I had ideas of a timber batten that they could be glued into - or anything, to make them not look like a common cheap duplicatable memory stick - which I can then laser the contents name onto.

I've seen plenty that look like they have a laserable coating in various colours, and some seem to have a stainless steel (?) foldable cover.
I was wondering if anyone here has tried such a gimmick, or has any tips to offer,
thanks

John Lifer
05-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Ian, one of my vendors, JDS industries offers bamboo covered and also aluminum anodized usb sticks in 8gb pretty dang cheap. I'd bet you can locate someone down under that has them as they are all Chinese.

The bamboo look pretty good and they are a bit larger than the metal ones.

Ian Stewart-Koster
05-20-2021, 12:52 AM
Thanks John, I've seen assorted timber ones on Ebay downunder here - but around $10 each for 8 gig, is getting a bit much, when i can get them plain for $4 each in bulk.