PDA

View Full Version : Why not Wen?

Rich Engelhardt
05-18-2021, 6:38 AM
I've been looking at some of the Wen products.
They seem to be a great value.

In a recent thread about why a drill press is so expensive, I might have been too quick to label Wen "junk".
I based that on the stuff they used t offer 40/50 years ago that was - "junk".

Wen seems to offer a lot now- for - not so much.

Anyone using any of their products?

Ole Anderson
05-18-2021, 7:21 AM
I bought their spindle sander for a one-off project. Works as well as I would ever wish. Cheapest I could find, but not cheaply built. Heavy machined cast iron top.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/910pEfGhh0L._AC_UL320_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6510T-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B07KKXNWWX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQpHXL-NCvHf5IFcCHyIiM1YfKkhiGEyk8Zpeffbw5BlKmNTyAzPzKxoC M5YQAvD_BwE&hvadid=153687511339&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016992&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4804507782790781995&hvtargid=kwd-138371434323&hydadcr=1614_9512447&keywords=wen+spindle+sander&qid=1621336613&sr=8-1

Steve Eure
05-18-2021, 7:24 AM
I have a Wen air filtration system hanging in my shop. I've had it for 5 months now and use it pretty much everyday. I've noticed a significant cleaner shop since installing it. Quite happy with my purchase,especially since it was a few hundred dollars cheaper then the big name brand and looks to be identical except for the paint. Would buy again.

roger wiegand
05-18-2021, 7:38 AM
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Tonge in cheek of course, as finding any tools that are not full of plastic gears and such is really hard. I've had a couple of Wen tools over the years, they broke almost immediately. That's why not for me. I'd consider it for a single-use tool, but not for anything I used regularly.

Patrick Varley
05-18-2021, 9:03 AM
I've had the variable speed 10" drill press for about 3 years. I'm only a light-medium duty hobbyist, but it has given me no problems so far.

Bill Carey
05-18-2021, 9:42 AM
I have the Wen 9" bandsaw and the 40v Wen 16" chain saw. Both work great and were real bargains.

Rich Engelhardt
05-18-2021, 9:45 AM
I've had the variable speed 10" drill press for about 3 years. I'm only a light-medium duty hobbyist, but it has given me no problems so far.
The 4214 Benchtop or the floor model?

I'm looking real hard at the variable speed benchtop the 4214 right now - which is what prompted this thread.

Donald G. Burns
05-18-2021, 9:50 AM
I've purchased the Wen air filtration system, which is (exactly) the same as several other brands except for paint. All use the same filters. I've purchased a Wen orbital jig saw which while is plastic bodied has worked out well. I purchased the Wen spindle sander which is largely the same as many other spindle sanders except for some plastic trim. I also purchased the Wen 3401 dust collector for my small shop only after thinking I needed something more than my portable Rigid Shop vac and that I could attach to the wall. But I'm a hobbyist and not a full time wood worker. OBTW, plastics gears can outlast metal ones as long as they are properly designed and not just made out recycled plastics in some offshore sweat shop as cheap as possible. Before someone points out that Wen tools come from China, so do all the others in the same price range. So did my MicroLux metal lathe and small milling machine, but that's for a different forum.

Patrick Varley
05-18-2021, 10:18 AM

I'm looking real hard at the variable speed benchtop the 4214 right now - which is what prompted this thread.

It's the Bench top 4214. I was pretty surprised by the fit and finish for $229 in 2018. I checked the spindle runout when I got it and it was negligible, and I didn't have a problem squaring up the table. I was worried that the variable speed mechanism might be the weak link, but no problems yet.

Even if the thing falls apart in a few years, I won't complain. I needed a drill press at the time, and didn't have the money to spend on a higher end model or time to restore/repair something else. I'll certainly feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Matt Day
05-18-2021, 10:30 AM
I’ve got their track saw and track (newest version). They’re great. Dust collection isn’t nearly as good as Festool, but the track is straight. It makes braking down sheet goods prior to bringing it to the table saw in the shop much easier. Much easier pill to swallow than Festool or any other name brand. The whole kit (saw, (2) 4’ tracks, and clamps) were under $200.

Before buying the Wen, I tried Menards house brand Masterforce - now that is total junk. Track is terrible being the main issue.

George Yetka
05-18-2021, 10:33 AM
Buy a product that will suite your needs. If you are using it all day every day and it has moving parts spend more money so that it will last you, because in the end if you have to buy a harbor freight grinder every day it will eventually be more expensive than a good Metabo

If it is simple product that will not be used alot or hard why not save money

Bob Riefer
05-18-2021, 12:11 PM

I didn't see that model when I recently swapped out an older floor model vintage drill press for a benchtop. I instead picked the Rikon 30-212vs which I had found a bunch of good/detailed reviews about. I primarily selected this unit due to it being pretty powerful (for its class), having good spindle travel (for its class), and mostly the crank handle to change speeds without having to change belts.

In looking at the Wen model you mentioned, I can tell you that it looks a LOT like the Rikon I purchased, and I wouldn't be surprised if I were to learn that they're made in the same place. I paid $399 for the Rikon a few months ago (I see it now at $450) and put another $100 into some customizations.

Anyways, I'll tell you what I like/dislike about the Rikon in case it helps you think about the Wen.

Like:
3/4 hp
3+ inches of spindle travel
The laser is actually surprising useful
The LED light works great
Changing speeds within a range is very easy
Digital readout very handy
Raising/lowering the table is a breeze
The table will be easy for me to affix an auxiliary surface to

Dislike:
Mechanism to tighten / lock the table height and rotation is hard to crank by hand (I added a longer handle which resolved this)
There is no "quill lock" on these models (I resolved this by adding push button thumb nuts to the threaded depth stop)
The plastic cover over the belts/pulleys feels cheap to me (I just choose to ignore this)

I hope this helps!

Stephen Rosenthal
05-18-2021, 1:04 PM
I’m a hybrid tool worker (70-30 in favor of hand tools) and have no experience with WEN tools, but I picked up a NIB Ryobi spindle sander at an estate sale for $20. I’ve used it quite a bit with great results. Almost identical in appearance to the WEN pictured. It’s the only Made in China tool I own. Would I have spent $150-200 on it? Unlikely. I’m a believer in buying the best quality available. That said, I don’t own any Festool products. They’re probably excellent tools and I know there are a lot of Festool fanboys out there, but are they worth 3-4x vs. the competition? Watch the attached video and decide for yourself. AVE is some type of engineer (mechanical?, electrical?, structural?), so he’s not blowing smoke out of his patooty. I subscribe to his channel and find his reviews uncompromisingly informative and unbiased.
https://youtu.be/oezp-_DcUgg

Jim Dwight
05-18-2021, 1:49 PM
I am making some dining room chairs and decided that was enough reason to invest in the Rigid spindle/belt sander. But I couldn't find one. Wen had one similar - seems to be functionally equivalent. So I bought it off Amazon (easy returns). It is working great. I have only used the oscillating belt sander part but that is all I've needed so far. No issues at all. Dust pickup is even pretty decent. I've only had it about a week but I have used it several times now and it will get a workout since I am about ready to sand the parts and start putting chairs together. I was worried that the current draw is only 3.5 amps but it doesn't seem to bog down unless I really push it with a coarse belt. I am impressed for the price.

I have also had a Wen grinder for several years. I do not use it often but it works OK. The guards and tool rest are pretty flimsy but functional. The motor on that tool does leave a bit to be desired sometimes. But it works and for it's price, I am OK with it.

I also bought some Wen tracks to use with an Evolution track saw at church. They did not match up to this track saw real well, sacrificial strip was not extended far enough and one anti friction strip was misplaced but I don't know that it is the fault of Wen - could be the unique saw. Both strips were not hard to peel off and reposition. The track works well with the small modifications, used it just yesterday.

Rich Engelhardt
05-18-2021, 3:32 PM
Bob - thanks!
That helps quite a bit.

Stephen Rosenthal
05-18-2021, 7:24 PM
Need to correct something. In my post I stated the Ryobi spindle sander is the only Made in China tool I own. I completely forgot about my Dewalt DW735 Planer, which I just used. Made in China and generally regarded as the best bench top planer.

Jacob Mac
05-18-2021, 7:43 PM
I have a wen drill press. I've pushed it pretty hard and it is fine. Especially for the money

Richard Coers
05-18-2021, 9:34 PM
You can't make machinery cheap without compromising something. Quite a few beginning woodturners have snapped the post off their Wen lathe tool posts. The grain size in the casting is gigantic. So they've proven to have cheap castings. Next I'm curious if they use a lower class of bearings. What China has done for decades is make the item look identical, but scratch the surface and you get a real understanding. I retired from Caterpillar. We couldn't come close to the price of Chinese excavators. What we found was that the contractors didn't want cabs or technology. They wanted machines that were what we made in the 50s. If major parts broke, they just bought a new machine. So they didn't want longevity either. So if you don't want higher quality nor longevity, then Wen could be the tool company for you. Personally I am way past buying only on price.

Patrick Varley
05-18-2021, 10:43 PM
So if you don't want higher quality nor longevity, then Wen could be the tool company for you. Personally I am way past buying only on price.

This is a false dichotomy. For me the choice was "don't have a drill press" and "have a budget drill press". I bought it knowing there were compromises, and like I said, if it craps out after a few years I'll be neither surprised or upset. But I'll be in a position to replace it with something better, so I won't care.

Of course I "want" quality and longevity. The degree to which I can afford it varies at any given time, but certainly must be nice for other's that don't have that consideration. "Buy once, cry once" is always catchy, but I'd argue it oversimplifies the decision.

Dick Strauss
05-19-2021, 8:19 AM
The Delta equivalent of the OSS Ole posted about (I think it was called the BOSS) from about 15 years ago also had plastic drive gears. I had an issue finding a replacement gear even then.

Stan Calow
05-19-2021, 10:13 AM
. . . If it is simple product that will not be used alot or hard why not save money

This is good advice, especially for hobbyists. Value is subjective, and the best tool for you may be different than for me, based on how much you will use it vs the cost.

I think Wen is only a brand name, and bears no particular significance to the quality of the tool. I have that same OSS, except its a different color and haas the Triton name on it. I have seen (and looked over for differences) the same OSS being sold as WoodRiver, Central Machinery (HF), and at least one other brand name. It isn't the best quality, but for the 2-3 times a year I use it, it was worth it.

Gerald Etto
05-19-2021, 10:31 AM
I have a WEN mini lathe, my first lathe that I used to get into pen making. It's been working superbly for over 3 years now, well worth the $150 or so I paid for it. Of course, it has limitations in terms of size and features, but you can work around those.

I would really like to try a WEN drum sander next, although my next lathe will probably be a JET.

Rich Engelhardt
05-19-2021, 5:55 PM
Well - I pulled the trigger on the Wen 4214 benchtop drill press.

2/3 hp with variable speed (580 to 3200 RPM) & 3 1/8" quill travel.

Eric Cothern
05-19-2021, 7:04 PM
I got the Wen 4212 drill press a couple years ago as a recommended birthday gift from my wife. Looking at it compared the similar model Jet drill press other than the Jet being 2 inches tall, it is the same thing spec wise, looks the same, and cost half the price and I have zero issues with mine.

Tom DiBiasio
05-20-2021, 9:05 AM
I have been on this woodworking journey now for the past 23 years, started out "lusting" over the tools presented every Saturday morning on New Yankee workshop and dreaming along with my father of the day when I could have a shop like that of my own. After buying my first house and finally having enough space that I could dedicate to a woodworking shop I decided to work a second job (what I like to call a side hustle) and dedicate all of that money made to buying tools for my shop. I had nothing at the time and started with the major 3 - tablesaw, jointer, planer all from Grizzly because that is what I could afford. Slowly I kept adding new tools to the "collection" mostly from Grizzly because that is what I could afford and based on cost vs value it was a good deal in my mind. Now many years later I have confirmed that woodworking will always be a part of my life, and I am in a much different place financially, I have started to replace many of the original tools with more high end versions with names like Festool, Nova, Laguna, woodpecker, Lie Nielsen, veritas and even some updated grizzly tools as well. The original tools I bought have sentimental value to me and to be honest worked just fine - but my time in the shop is limited and I get personal enjoyment from working with the best tools my wallet can afford. I am still in some ways chasing that same dream shop I did when I was watching NYWS with my dad back in the days. The only WISH I have now is that my Dad would have lived long enough for him to see the house I bought and the workshop I built - I hope he is looking down on me as I am working in the shop these days because I can for sure tell you I am more often than not talking to him while I am working these tools.

What may you ask does this have to do with WEN tool - well even though I have an entire arsenal of festool and other high end tools now, JUST LAST WEEK I found myself in need of pneumatic stapler (t50 style) and after some research decided on a $27 WEN version from Amazon. I had the chance to use it this past weekend and MAN that thing rocks. I was super impressed by the fit and finish, packaging, and function of the tool. So in the end buy what you can afford after doing your research and use it until you decide to dedicate more of your hard earned money on another brand or model. I have come full circle and still I find myself going back to the basics entry level tools if that is what I can afford at the time.

Alex Zeller
05-20-2021, 12:21 PM
Life is about compromise. Most people who buy Grizzly (me included) either can't or don't want to pay for the "top tier" brands. Wen looks like they get their stuff from the same factories in China. Chances are they use Chinese bearings and aren't machined to the standards some here demand. But for most of us it doesn't matter. I routinely buy tools from Harbor Freight simply because it's either that or nothing. I don't own any Wen tools but that's simply because I haven't needed anything they sell.

I can remember a time when owning lots tools was not something that most hobbyist did. If you did it was a Sears table saw, not a Powermatic cabinet saw. Then came a time when entry level tools started getting cheaper. Black and Decker most of sold a boat load of those 3/8" drills with the short 1' cord. They were cheap and reliable. I suspect that as long as your expectations are within reason Wen tools will be up to the task.

David Bassett
05-20-2021, 1:46 PM
... Black and Decker most of sold a boat load of those 3/8" drills with the short 1' cord. They were cheap and reliable. ...

I just dropped one of those at the local ReStore. Still going strong. (Unlike a DeWalt & a Milwaukee with dead discontinued batteries!)

Been doing a spring cleaning of the garage (aka California basement) and was amused to unbury a couple B&D "Best" tools, one stored in a box with it's Gemco price tag. (I'd have more space if I'd clean more often. :( )

Alex Zeller
05-20-2021, 3:54 PM
I just dropped one of those at the local ReStore. Still going strong. (Unlike a DeWalt & a Milwaukee with dead discontinued batteries!)

Been doing a spring cleaning of the garage (aka California basement) and was amused to unbury a couple B&D "Best" tools, one stored in a box with it's Gemco price tag. (I'd have more space if I'd clean more often. :( )

Clean??? You just need more room to store stuff, lol. I have a very old all aluminum B&D 3/4" drill that's huge that my father got from who knows where. I figured it was worth keeping as wall art. Besides the whole point of life it to collect stuff so someone else has to clean it all up when you die, isn't it?

Scott Memmer
05-21-2021, 7:39 AM
Any GRADUATE reference is worth the read.

sm

Terry Wawro
05-21-2021, 8:27 AM
I have an WEN 1/2 inch reversible drill that's got to be at least 30 years old. It was a gift from my wife, way back when we were dating in the late 80's. It's big. It's slow. It's real ugly. But it's got torque to spare and has stood up to years of use and occasional abuse when I needed mix paint, mortar or thick adhesive in 5 gallon buckets.