PDA

View Full Version : Electric Lawn Mowers

ChrisA Edwards
05-17-2021, 12:08 PM
I have about 2 acres of grass which I cut with my ZTR mower.

I used to have a 21" self propelled, gas walk behind mower, but lent it to my Son who somehow lost it.

Anyway, I have a few tight spots of lawn. that I can't get into with the ZTR, but are a little to large to just weed wack.

So I thought about another walk behind and then that thought turned to the idea of an electric mower.

I've watched lots of YouTube reviews and am leaning towards the EGO brand.

My yard is flat, the areas I would use this would probably take me about 5-10 minutes so I don't need to pay for a 10A battery. I would use this in the mulching mode, I'm too lazy to bag and dump.

Thoughts.

Alan Rutherford
05-17-2021, 3:37 PM
I also have about 2 acres although too much of it is partially-tamed woods. I can't tell you about mower brands (we use a gas-powered lawn tractor) but my suggestion would be that you consider the other tools that will be compatible with the batteries of whatever you buy. Decent lithium batteries are expensive. I bought a 40-volt Ryobi battery-powered chainsaw a while ago and while it might not be the greatest chainsaw I also now have a 40-volt weed-eater, hedge trimmer and leaf blower and they are awesome. Most came relatively inexpensively without batteries. Instead of 4 tools each with a gas engine needing premix gas and maintenance, I have some useful tools I would not otherwise have bought and a fresh battery waiting on the charger.

Howard Garner
05-17-2021, 3:53 PM
Last year I went with the Lowes Kobat 80volt mower and leaf blower
Batteries can use the same charger and are plug compatible.
The leaf blower has a smaller total amp capacity, but the wife used that battery to mow our lawn last week.

Howard Garner

Gary Ragatz
05-17-2021, 4:42 PM
I have an EGO 21" with a 5Ahr battery. Also have their blower, edger and string trimmer - so I have a couple of 2.5Ahr batteries, too. The 5Ahr battery gets me ~ 45 minutes of mowing time - about enough to do our lawn. If I need to change out, the 2.5Ahr batteries also fit the mower and get me another ~20 minutes.

This is my fifth year with the mower, and I'm happy with my purchase.

Lisa Starr
05-17-2021, 5:38 PM
I have several EGO tools and love them Our son has the lawn mower and says he likes it a lot.

Mike Null
05-17-2021, 5:45 PM
I have an EGO trimmer and it's a workhouse. When my Honda gives out I'll buy an EGO electric. I have less than a 1/4 acre.

Nathan Johnson
05-17-2021, 6:47 PM
How does one lose a lawn mower?

Dan Friedrichs
05-17-2021, 8:20 PM
I have the Ego mower, blower, and snow blower. All are great.

That said, if you are already on another battery system, there may be other options that are more convenient (e.g. Makita makes ones that uses the LXT batteries)

Bruce Wrenn
05-17-2021, 8:36 PM

I would have son looking for my mower, plain and simple.

ChrisA Edwards
05-17-2021, 8:47 PM

He rented a house in a sketchy part of town while he was at college and one night it went missing.

He offered to buy me a new one, but Dad's a little too soft to take him up on his offer, plus he just bought one of my motorcycle's off me, so I'm sitting on a nice size pile of cash from him.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2021, 9:46 PM
I have a DIL who uses one of the EGO and it's worked well for her.

Kev Williams
05-17-2021, 9:47 PM
My 4-wheel drive push'n'go gas Toro has spoiled me. Haven't found a 4-wheel drive electric yet...

dennis thompson
05-18-2021, 6:32 AM
I bought the Toro electric for this season and am pretty happy with it. Several reports I’ve seen rate it highly.

Matt Day
05-18-2021, 10:41 AM
I’m in the market for a battery powered mower as well. Leaning toward EGO too. Takes me 45+ minutes to mow my yard, so I need a 7.5ah battery. The 5 us “up to” 45 minutes and I don’t want the battery dying with 1 pass left. Ace has it for $50 off, so $600 plus tax.

Rich Engelhardt
05-18-2021, 10:42 AM
I had corded electric back in the early 1970s.
It would have been ok for my small yard, but, it had way too little power.
If the grass was at all high, it would bog down and pop the fuse.

I see Makita has a 36V cordless promotion where you get two free batteries when you buy the mower.
If I didn't have other stuff I need more, I'd buy one.

Matt Day
05-18-2021, 11:34 AM
My cordless drills are all Makita, but the lawnmower doesn’t really get the great reviews that the Ego and Greenworks get. I’d love to get a bunch of new batteries for my drills, but it’s not worth it. Ego gets best mulching for most all reviews.

And these aren’t anything like corded electric mowers from the 70’s.

Bill Dufour
05-18-2021, 12:37 PM
Ryobi makes a zero turn mower ride on all electric mower. GE made electric lawn tractors in the 1970's. They used car batteries which are still avaiable everywhere. Will your mower battery exist in 3 years when you need a new one?
Bill D

Jerome Stanek
05-18-2021, 6:05 PM
I have the Kobalt 80 watt self propelled mower and like how nice it is to go out and just mow. No gas and no stinky fumes.

Bill Dufour
05-19-2021, 12:02 AM
I forget who but they make a solar powered lawn mower similar to a romba vacuum. It lives in a solar doghouse where it charges up during the day. Once it is charged it randomly? mows the lawn until it needs to charge again.
Bill D

ChrisA Edwards
05-19-2021, 10:01 AM
I relented and went with the EGO 7.5AH 21" self propelled (latest generation), pick it up this afternoon.

Matt Day
05-19-2021, 11:27 AM
I relented and went with the EGO 7.5AH 21" self propelled (latest generation), pick it up this afternoon.

The LM2135SP? I’m probably getting that one too this afternoon. What price did you get it for?

ChrisA Edwards
05-19-2021, 1:59 PM
$599 + tax from Ace hardware

Matt Day
05-19-2021, 4:04 PM
$599 + tax from Ace hardware

Gotcha, that’s where I am going to buy from too.

ChrisA Edwards
05-19-2021, 4:20 PM
I signed up for Ace rewards( free to do), got $50 off at checkout. Paid online, last night, and picked up this morning. Good email communication from Ace.

I also broke down and bought the 650CFM blower. My wife is always asking me to blow off the patio and deck, but she cannot start my two stroke blower. Now she has no excuse not to use the electric blower as long as i keep to charged.

Nathan Johnson
05-19-2021, 4:46 PM
In that same vein, I might be in the market for a new blower and string trimmer. Which battery option does anyone recommend?

ChrisA Edwards
05-19-2021, 6:12 PM
Which battery option does anyone recommend?

Are you talking brand or power?

These batteries are quite large, so this isn't something you'll be swapping with hand drills, etc..

So I think it's a matter of picking the system/brand and sticking with it.

I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.

Nathan Johnson
05-19-2021, 6:44 PM
Are you talking brand or power?

These batteries are quite large, so this isn't something you'll be swapping with hand drills, etc..

So I think it's a matter of picking the system/brand and sticking with it.

I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.

Sorry., yeah, I meant brand recommendations.
I'm not necessarily partial to anything, but pretty happy with Makita in other areas.

Doug Dawson
05-19-2021, 6:58 PM
In that same vein, I might be in the market for a new blower and string trimmer. Which battery option does anyone recommend?
I really like my Milwaukee M18 string trimmer. Lots of power (don’t underestimate it, wear protection.)

I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.

Nathan Johnson
05-19-2021, 7:06 PM
I really like my Milwaukee M18 string trimmer. Lots of power (don’t underestimate it, wear protection.)

I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.

I agree, but my needs are very minimal in that regard.
I'd like to move up to a lithium battery option for the string trimmer and blower, but there's no way in hell I'll give up my gas Toro mower.

Malcolm McLeod
05-19-2021, 7:40 PM
... I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.

I have the 14". I was amazed at how well it handled a major pruning of 10-12" Hackberry limbs. Make sure the blade is sharp. If not - or if cerebral flatulence strikes, and you get trigger happy with the blade in a bind - you can overheat the battery and ruin it.

... I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.

I was same way, but then... I spent 30 minutes trying to start the (EXPLETIVE) thing. I can throw on the EGO battery, and done w/o ever breaking a sweat. Seldom used recoil start anything is a beating, lubricated with sweat, insulated with money, and wrapped in swearing. ...IMHO.

... no way in hell I'll give up my gas Toro mower.
Until it won't start?

Nathan Johnson
05-19-2021, 7:49 PM
I have the 14". I was amazed at how well it handled a major pruning of 10-12" Hackberry limbs. Make sure the blade is sharp. If not - or if cerebral flatulence strikes, and you get trigger happy with the blade in a bind - you can overheat the battery and ruin it.

I was same way, but then... I spent 30 minutes trying to start the (EXPLETIVE) thing. I can throw on the EGO battery, and done w/o ever breaking a sweat. Seldom used recoil start anything is a beating, lubricated with sweat, insulated with money, and wrapped in swearing. ...IMHO.

Until it won't start?

If a battery powered lawn mower could give me the cut quality and mulching capability and run time of my Super Recycler, I'd switch. It's not there yet.
I'd love to leave the maintenance behind, but a gas laen mower (in some situations) is still superior.

ChrisA Edwards
05-20-2021, 1:54 PM
Well I used the EGO lawn mower and blower for the first time this morning. Both units came with a battery and charger.

I unpacked it out of the box yesterday, nothing to assemble. I charged the battery, about an hour and it was ready for use. I'm using it in the mulching mode and it was already setup for that out of the box.

Although the mower is self propelled, I actually just pushed it for most of the mowing as the mower is super light to maneuver and all my cutting areas are flat.

It's so quiet, you can have a normal conversation while it is cutting. I used it for about 15 minutes, that's all I need it for before switching to my ZTR ride on. The battery still indicated a full charge on the status bars.

The blower was pretty much ready to go straight out of the box, so again, charged the battery before use.

The blower is also pretty quiet, nothing like my screaming two stroke blower, I blew lots of leafs, small twigs and lawn clippings and am very happy with the results. I have a small handheld two stroke Hitachi blower, my normal go to, and a Husqvarna two strike back pack blower, that for the few areas that I need to blow, hardly ever comes out. I don't see me using either of the gas powered blowers in the future.

Another nice feature, when you release the trigger, the blower stops, whereas my gas powered units, still blow air, so you have to be wary of where they are pointing even when they are idling.

Dave Zellers
05-20-2021, 6:33 PM
Re battery blowers- I'm in the Makita sphere with drills and a few other of their 18/36v tools. I bought their strongest 36v blower maybe 2 years ago and when it arrived the boss said "I hate those things! They are too loud!"

Now she loves it. No sound unless it's blowing and variable speed blowing- very gentle on the lowest setting. We have a huge Beech tree overhanging the deck and right now it is dropping all it's flowers all over it. 15-20 seconds and they are gone. I bought a gutter attachment for it and what used to be a half hour with a ladder is now 2 minutes start to finish with the blower.

We use it in the fall to corral the leaves onto the lawn and mulch them with the mower to be used on the gardens.

Love it. I can see an electric lawn mower down the road but right now my Honda is too new to replace. I love it too. :p

Michael Cuthriell
05-20-2021, 7:40 PM
We purchased an Ego 21" mower this year and have been happy with it. It is light enough to push easily around tight corners and move backwards. It is rated to last one hour and it approaches that. It probably would if not using the self propelling mechanism. Deck height adjustment is great. This mower is mostly plastic so I don't think it would last a long time if horsed around. The battery compartment door seems fragile. The charger is air cooled and completes a charge in about 45 minutes.

Matt Day
05-22-2021, 10:08 PM
I lied... Decoded to go gas. Went for performance and didn’t want to worry about battery life if the grass was thick and was using self propel etc which drain battery life. Wanted to, just wasn’t ready.

I got a Toro Super Recycler 21386 that can store just like a battery model. Mulching ability is amazing. The clippings just seems to disappear.

Nathan Johnson
05-23-2021, 2:58 PM
I lied... Decoded to go gas. Went for performance and didn’t want to worry about battery life if the grass was thick and was using self propel etc which drain battery life. Wanted to, just wasn’t ready.

I got a Toro Super Recycler 21386 that can store just like a battery model. Mulching ability is amazing. The clippings just seems to disappear.

Excellent choice.
You'll be even more impressed with the mulching if you do leaves in the fall.

Doug Dawson
05-23-2021, 5:34 PM
Excellent choice.
You'll be even more impressed with the mulching if you do leaves in the fall.
I really like that B&S 163cc motor a lot. It’s been very reliable, nay practically indestructible, on my (non-drive) push mower. I wonder how much power the self-driving feature pulls off that power availability, though. I hate self-driving mowers, they cramp my tendency to change direction.

Nathan Johnson
05-23-2021, 7:33 PM
I really like that B&S 163cc motor a lot. It’s been very reliable, nay practically indestructible, on my (non-drive) push mower. I wonder how much power the self-driving feature pulls off that power availability, though. I hate self-driving mowers, they cramp my tendency to change direction.

I have the 159cc Chinese Toro engine on my new Super Recycler and I've not had any issues with power. I was concerned because I had the 190cc Briggs on the previous Super Recycler but it's been a total non-issue. (I have a fairly thick 1/3 of an acre and mow high.)

I get what you're saying about self propel, but the Personal Pace on the Toros makes it a non issue. It's super intuitive and they're very nimble.
I bought a Honda HRX between these two Toros and sold it off after a year because the drive system sucked, it was heavy and clumsy, and it paled in comparison at mulching leaves. It did have excellent grass cutting capability though.

ChrisA Edwards
05-27-2021, 1:58 PM
Well I've drunk the KoolAid, after using my new electric lawn mower and blower, a couple of times, I broke down and bought the EGO 18" chainsaw and weed eater.

Ive used the weed eater and it is lighter and quieter than my two stroke Stihl, obviously no issue with starting, and the trim line spool loading is much easier. It also seems to have just as much power, for trimming, as my gas powered Stihl. I'll keep my Stihl, but put a heavy duty blade on it for saplings.

I pickup the EGO 18" chainsaw on Saturday.