PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better way?

Dale Thompson
01-09-2006, 8:56 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm doing another one of those projects where I'm "stacking" drawers in a "frameless" carcass. The drawers are not all the same depth and I am using full-extension slides. I typically assemble the drawers and fasten the drawer portions of the slides. I then stack them with the appropriate spacers inserted (in this case, 1/4") outside of the carcass and make up a "tally" stick locating the centerlines of the attaching screws. Using the "tally" stick, I then transfer the dimensions to the inside of the carcass and fasten the cabinet portion of the slides accordingly.

This seems to work but, as I get older, I find it easier to get INTO the carcass than OUT of it! ;) :) Also, as my claustrophobia attacks me, how do I know that a 14' King Cobra is not waiting to devour me in the darkened recesses of a cabinet carcass? :eek: ;) :)

Dale T.

Dino Makropoulos
01-09-2006, 9:14 PM
Hi Dale.
I enjoy your posts every time.;)
Can you screw the slides before you assemble the cabinet?

Do you have any extra time to finish a book for me?:cool:

YCF D

Craig Feuerzeig
01-09-2006, 9:20 PM
I try to always "do the math" prior to assembly. It's easier to lay-out and pre-drill a flat panel on the table. Every time I skip this step, I consider it my punishment to "get in the box".

Dale Thompson
01-09-2006, 9:53 PM
Hi Dale.
I enjoy your posts every time.;)
Can you screw the slides before you assemble the cabinet?

Do you have any extra time to finish a book for me?:cool:

YCF D

Dino,
You're assuming that I will actually ASSEMBLE the cabinet. :rolleyes: I've never gotten that far in my entire LIFE!! :o :(

It depends on the subject of your book. If it is on woodworking, I think that, as a master of the art, I can help!! :cool: I would LOVE to write the last Chapter, "MASTERING THE PROLIFERATION OF SCRAP"! ;) I would put you on the, "New York Times Best Seller List" for the next thirty years!! :o :cool: :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
I try to always "do the math" prior to assembly. It's easier to lay-out and pre-drill a flat panel on the table. Every time I skip this step, I consider it my punishment to "get in the box".

Craig,
First off, what is "math"? :confused: :) Secondly, I'm quite accustomed to the "get in the box" punishment! :( ;) I endure this every time that I forget to say, "YES Dear, You're RIGHT Dear, l'm SORRY Dear or RIGHT AWAY Dear!" ;) :cool: :)

Dale T.

Mark Singer
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Dale,
The base of the cabinet is the floor and establishes the lowest glide..This glide is installed last...start at the top and work down....
For the uppers cut pieces of 3/4" ply and just lay the glide on it....move it to the opposite side...then they match perfectly. One height template for each drawer..
If they are Accurides or Dynaslides I will use a 1/4" thick piece of plywood or Melamine drawer bottom ...lay the glide on it and with the proper setback distance from the face...screw it in...same on the opposing side.

Now if you are careful , you can do all this on the panel sides before the carcass is assembled...on Euro style...just after the 32 MM holes are drilled...install the glides and then assemble the carcass...

Dale Thompson
01-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Dale,
The base of the cabinet is the floor and establishes the lowest glide..This glide is installed last...start at the top and work down....
For the uppers cut pieces of 3/4" ply and just lay the glide on it....move it to the opposite side...then they match perfectly. One height template for each drawer..
If they are Accurides or Dynaslides I will use a 1/4" thick piece of plywood or Melamine drawer bottom ...lay the glide on it and with the proper setback distance from the face...screw it in...same on the opposing side.

Now if you are careful , you can do all this on the panel sides before the carcass is assembled...on Euro style...just after the 32 MM holes are drilled...install the glides and then assemble the carcass...

Mark,
Thank you! :) I have always started at the bottom. :( On the other hand, that is the story of my life! ;) :cool: :)

Dale T.