PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know The tag numbers on your vehicles?

lowell holmes
05-16-2021, 4:46 PM
It is raining and I went to check and see if my windows are up on my F150.
I saw the tag on the truck and realized I do not remember the tag number.
I had it written someplace, but now I have it in my bill fold and my sock drawer.,

Howard Garner
05-16-2021, 6:15 PM
I know mine, but not the wife's.
Howard Garner

Stan Calow
05-16-2021, 6:43 PM
chronic problem. I now take a photo of plate and keep it on my phone. VIN as well.

Jim Koepke
05-16-2021, 6:49 PM
In Washington every few years the state sends new plates. Not sure if this has something to do with all the rain causing road dirt to cover plates or just something to keep people in the prisons busy.

It is hard to remember when they change every few years.

jtk

Lisa Starr
05-16-2021, 7:19 PM
Yep. I know the plates on my car, hubby's truck and 2 of the motorcycles.

Tom M King
05-16-2021, 7:26 PM
No.

My Wife rented a car for a trip a few years ago to a dog show National. She ended up with a Cadillac SUV. It had a push button to start, and turn off, and buttons to change gears. When she got back in it the second time, it wouldn't start. She had pushed the button to turn it off, but hadn't pushed the button to put it in Park first.

My truck is old enough that it has a fob you have to push the button on to lock, and unlock the doors, if you don't want to use the one on the door. I just keep a single key in my pocket when I lock it, to unlock it with. The fob is not that large, but larger than I want to have in my pocket. Her car now unlocks when she gets close to it.

sorry, Wrong thread.

Bill Dufour
05-16-2021, 7:43 PM
Plate numbers yes, tag numbers no way. They change every year.
Bill D

Doug Dawson
05-16-2021, 8:26 PM
I don’t know my own blood type. (Do you?) It must be written down somewhere. Call the DMV.

Thomas Wilson
05-16-2021, 8:40 PM
There was a time when I remembered such things. The only tag I know now was from a long time ago. It started with JKB. I remembered it by the mnemonic “Janice Kisses Better”. She remembers that tag too.

Michael Weber
05-17-2021, 1:58 AM
There was a time when I remembered such things. The only tag I know now was from a long time ago. It started with JKB. I remembered it by the mnemonic “Janice Kisses Better”. She remembers that tag too. Something similar for me. Our cars tag started with the letters EZW. Wife decided it stood for Easy Woman. Been on the garage wall for at least a decade. Currently have 4 vehicles with tags and I couldn’t say what any of them were.

Charlie Velasquez
05-17-2021, 7:40 AM
All our vehicles have personalized specialty plates. Easy to remember and maybe gives a shout out to a cause we think is important.

https://iowadot.gov/mvd/vehicleregistration/vehicleregistration/plates/chooselife

Jim Becker
05-17-2021, 8:49 AM
Yes, for both vehicles. They are both customer; one being an alumni association plate and the other being a "vanity" tag. I do not have my trailer tag memorized nor do I have the "new" tag on the vehicle our daughter drives memorized, either.

Roger Feeley
05-17-2021, 9:11 AM
We have a vanity tag that easy to remember. But before that, I couldn’t have told you. ours is “ABIRCH”. The guy that built the main house back in 1860 was Almond Birch. It probably confuses folks but we can remember it.

I love trying to figure out vanity plates.

- A hunter friend back in Kansas had “POACHER”. He claimed it drove the fish and game guys nuts.
- I saw a tag once “NFUGUE” that made no sense until I noticed it was on a Honda Prelude.
- guy down the street had the nerdiest one. “PLYADZ” translates to the Pleiades constellation. Again it makes no sense until you see that it’s on a Subaru. That still makes no sense unless you know that the Japanese name for the constellation is Subaru.

Rick Potter
05-18-2021, 7:58 PM
Nope.

Got 8 cars, and don't know any of them. I have all the info in the file cabinet, and if stolen when I am away from home any police car can look it up in seconds. But I do know my blood type, my DL number, SS number, my employee number from work (retired 20 years) and my address.

What bothers me though is that I used to know the phone numbers of dozens of people/places, but since cell phones...it's gone. I don't even know my kids phone numbers without going to the cell phone.

Rod Sheridan
05-23-2021, 7:02 PM
I’ll bite, what bikes do you have?

I have

1930 James

1975 Norton Commando

1976 BMW R90/6

2013 BMW F750GS

Regards, Rod

Bert Kemp
05-23-2021, 8:22 PM
I don’t know my own blood type. (Do you?) It must be written down somewhere. Call the DMV.

Doug you need to get an ID bracelet with your blood type and emergency contacts on it. Very important to know your blood type:)

Rick Potter
05-24-2021, 2:26 AM
I know my blood type. A-, easy to remember because I am almost perfect :D

Bill Dufour
05-24-2021, 9:38 AM
Just put new tags on the wifes suv. seven numbers with one leading letter. I think the letter is for the year. Surprised me that they do not use letters for the tags. I bet it has been 50 years since California gave out new plates every year. Now they just give you a paper tag to go on the existing plate. I suppose it has reduced the number of old plates nailed onto barns in the state.
Bill D

Mike Nolan
05-25-2021, 3:12 PM
I have a silver Honda Accord. I had to memorize the license plate since it looks like a quarter of the cars in a parking lot.

Rick Potter
05-25-2021, 7:05 PM
The other 3/4 vehicles are F150's. All black or grey.

Derek Meyer
05-26-2021, 7:00 PM
I've had the same number on my vehicles since my first car in 1984. My mom got numbers from the DMV back in 68, and when I got my first car (a 1969 Ford XL sedan) I got the plate transfered from my grandpa's pickup to my car.

In Idaho, each county issues their own numbers, which start at 1 and go up. These are not personalized, but are part of the normal scheme. The first one or two digits identify the county, such as 1L for Latah or 1A for Ada (Boise area). My mom was able to get four 2 digit numbers from Twin Falls county (2T) - 68, 69, 75 and 85. I have 69 on my car, and my mom has 75 on her car and 85 on her pickup. 68 passed back to the DMV when my grandparents passed away years ago.

Idaho also requires you to buy new plates every 7 years, and you can only buy plates in the county of issue, so every 7 years my mom renews the plates for me and sends them up. Once she's gone I'll have to decide if I want to keep the number, and have to drive 420 miles to renew, or let it go.

Derek

lowell holmes
05-28-2021, 7:41 PM
I have a 1/2 ton black F150.

ChrisA Edwards
05-28-2021, 8:27 PM
When we moved from FL to TN and I registered my bikes.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Bike%20Stuff/.highres/TN_TagsSmall_zpsd99bc455.jpg

Blood Type AB rh-ve

Bo idea what my regular vehicle tags are, have pictures of them, plus the Vin and Insurance cards in my iPhone.

I'm thinning the herd on my bikes, still in the garage

2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S (sale pending )
2015 Ducato Multistrada 1200S
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 (sale pending)
2007 Ducati 1098S
1998 Yamaha R1
1993 Bimota DB2
1975 Hinda CB400F

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2021, 12:01 PM
...my employee number from work (retired 20 years)We didn't have those, but I do remember my student ID number from college and my dad's Air Force serial number from before they changed to SSNs.

(Not to mention the SSN of my ex, from 15 years of doing our taxes. Ugh.)