PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Hard Maple

Jack Frederick
05-15-2021, 12:46 PM
I have some off-cuts of Hard Maple that a friend has asked me to help him with in making a frame for a painting he has done. It will be stained an as yet to be decided darker color. The wood is nice clear grained and never having worked with it, have you any suggestions on handling it so the project comes out correctly? Much obliged for any help.

Jim Becker
05-15-2021, 7:42 PM
You might find this recent thread helpful...

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?291394-Tips-please-for-staining-dyeing-hard-maple

Joe Chritz
05-15-2021, 10:36 PM
Test test and test.

There are ebonizing methods that work well. Rit fabric dye is talked about a lot but I haven't used it personally.

Maple is a giant pain to stain and I don't at all. Either a transtint dye or just shellac. I prefer no stains but am not horrified by them it is just that Maple really is that big of a pain.

I would try a few options and see what works for you.

Joe

Tom Bender
05-16-2021, 7:27 AM
Maple does not stain well. It blotches badly if stain is applied directly. Better to seal it then paint the stain on the surface. Maple has very bland grain which will be lost under dark stain. It is possible to do well but is not easy.

Jack Frederick
05-16-2021, 3:51 PM
Thanks, gents! Having reviewed the previous thread Jim suggested and your comments I had the Maple on the bench and some 8/4 Walnut beside it. I explained that I’m a pretty good mechanic but a very poor chemist. We cut the frame components out of the Walnut and the Maple is waiting for more suitable purposes;)

Phil Mueller
05-20-2021, 9:10 AM
I know you’ve moved on, but I’ve been playing with maple as well for an upcoming table project. This is the result of using dye stain (gray). It’s curly maple...likely soft maple...but lengthy finish schedule including raising the grain, several coats of dye, light sanding in between, and finished with wipe on poly. The project is for my son, who likes the finish...so that’s what I’m going with.

Jack Frederick
05-20-2021, 12:25 PM
That is really nice Phil. Thanks for posting.

Clark Hussey
05-20-2021, 12:44 PM
Here is some hard maple, Sanded to 220. Two coats amber shellac, two coats de waxed shellac. Sanded with 220. Wiped with mineral spirts. Then wiped with a mineral spirits damp rag. Prior to applying Java gel stain. Which is wiped off almost immediately. Three coats of satin spar varnish.