PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite brands of higher quality lathe tools?

Mike Glaze
01-09-2006, 7:58 PM
What are your favorite brands of lathe/turning tools new and vintage?

Thanks

Mike

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 8:36 PM
There are so many good choices, Mike. I have to say that many of the tools in my rack are Sorby, largely because of easy availability locally. (I do try to give my local tool dealer some business, despite my move to mostly non-commodity machines...they are very nice people) Both of my "licensed" Ellsworth gouges are Crown; one being the powdered metal version. But I don't buy Crown bowl gouges outside of these versions...I don't like the flute profiles as compared to Sorby and others. For my hollowing rig (Jamison), I have both the Jamison cutters and the Trent Bosch cutters. Kelton will also fit, although I haven't tried them.

At the high end, Glasser, OneWay (gouges), Kelton, etc. have a good following and P&N is making a name in un-handled stuff, especially with gaining Lee Valley as a distributor. All are great tools.

I'll mention one other thing...some of the "house brand" tools, such as those offered by Packard Woodworks and Craft Supplies are really good tools for reasonable prices. They are made by a "name" brand manufacturer in England and perform well. Another surprise is the Benjamin's Best from PSI/MSLS...decent steel and very affordable for beginners.

Cecil Arnold
01-09-2006, 8:50 PM
I can't argue with anything Jim said, but will strongly endorse his comments on Packard, good tools at good prices.

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2006, 9:05 PM
I have about all the Glasser gouges, and reach for them most of the time when I turn. I like my P&N gouges especially the ones with the handles I made with the lead pored in the end to give me weight because I am a heavy handle kind of guy. I use the Packard gouges and some of the other brands, but I do like the Glasser and P&N.

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 9:11 PM
I don't have favorite brand, and I do have a little bit from everywhere since I've never purchased a boxed set. Just buy them as I need them from whomever has the price I don't choke on.

Favorite bowl gouge is a 3/8" Mastercut from Oneway that I put an extra long irish grind on.

Favorite centerturning tool is a 3/4" rougher from Sorby on which I've removed most of the wings.

Favorite oddball is a skewchigouge I got from Packard. The dang thing will cut anything anywhere between centers and I use it when I'm in a hurry and not concerned that someone would object to my use of a non-traditional tool. Yup, up here that happens.

Favorite tool I need more experience with is the skew. It's a love hate thing.

Mike Glaze
01-10-2006, 1:20 AM
There are so many good choices, Mike. I have to say that many of the tools in my rack are Sorby, largely because of easy availability locally. (I do try to give my local tool dealer some business, despite my move to mostly non-commodity machines...they are very nice people) Both of my "licensed" Ellsworth gouges are Crown; one being the powdered metal version. But I don't buy Crown bowl gouges outside of these versions...I don't like the flute profiles as compared to Sorby and others. For my hollowing rig (Jamison), I have both the Jamison cutters and the Trent Bosch cutters. Kelton will also fit, although I haven't tried them.

At the high end, Glasser, OneWay (gouges), Kelton, etc. have a good following and P&N is making a name in un-handled stuff, especially with gaining Lee Valley as a distributor. All are great tools.

I'll mention one other thing...some of the "house brand" tools, such as those offered by Packard Woodworks and Craft Supplies are really good tools for reasonable prices. They are made by a "name" brand manufacturer in England and perform well. Another surprise is the Benjamin's Best from PSI/MSLS...decent steel and very affordable for beginners.

Jim

Thanks for this information. Sorby I'm familiar with. Lee Valley seems to try and offer exceptional tools no matter what the brand name is.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Glaze
01-10-2006, 1:27 AM
I like hearing a few of the same brands getting mentioned over and over like Sorby, Glasser, Oneway and Packard.

Thanks

Mike

Robert Mickley
01-10-2006, 7:40 AM
I've got Sorby, Crown and Kelton, like all three

tod evans
01-10-2006, 7:42 AM
i like the robert larson brand. the blades are made in sheffield and the handles are made right here in the good ol` usa. ....02 tod

Jeff Singleton
01-10-2006, 9:39 PM
As a part time patternmaker I have been using just HSS blanks from Wisconsin Knife Works. They are 32" long and 3/8" thick and 1/2"-1 1/2" wide. They don't have handles and I have never put a handle on them. They are pretty heavy and hold a very good edge. The only thing you need to do is to break the edges so they don't cut your hands. The average about $3 an inch.

Jeff Singleton;)

Brad Schmid
01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Like most of the other folks, I have a mixture. Mostly Henry Taylor, Sorby, Glaser, and like Jim, I have the Crown PM Ellsworth's. I Like them all, and there's alot more good choices out there too.

Jason Christenson
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
I just ordered some "Benjamins Best". I expect great things. (Please don't miss the sarcasm.) :D