PDA

View Full Version : I/O Device error reading Frank Pellow's CD

Tom Hamilton
01-09-2006, 7:34 PM
So, I put Frank's generous gift CD in the DVD-ROM drive tonight and the the "I/O device error" message.

The google search turned up Microsoft's solution: change the IDE settings on Primary and Secondary but it didn't work.

I recalled something about virus scans gettin in the way, but I turned it off and still not reading the drive.

So, any suggestions.

Running 02 XP Media Center with SP2.

Thanks for your help, Tom

Aaron Koehl
01-10-2006, 4:44 PM
Are you able to read other CDs?

Tom Hamilton
01-10-2006, 4:48 PM
Hey Aaron:

Thought maybe I had offended the forum, lots of reads and not response. Unusual to not get any comments.

So, glad to hear from you.

The DVD-ROM drive will not read CD's, I was trying to load a new printer program, and will not read DVDs.

I suspect some type of conflict with McAfee Virus but I can't find the reference to prove it.

Thanks for asking. Tom

Vaughn McMillan
01-10-2006, 5:24 PM
Tom, I'm not experienced with current versions of McAffee A/V, but since you've already tried with your A/V disabled, I think that rules it out as the culprit. There's also the possibility that your DVD drive has gone south on you, in which case it might be time for a $50 trip to the computer store. They're pretty easy to replace. I seem to go through at least one CD or DVD drive a year betweem my various home and work machines.

- Vaughn

Jim O'Dell
01-10-2006, 7:20 PM
So, I put Frank's generous gift CD in the DVD-ROM drive tonight and the the "I/O device error" message.
Thanks for your help, Tom

Tom, did I read that correctly, you put a CD in a DVD unit? Is the DVD unit capable of reading CD's. (most are, but there could be one out there that doesn't) If not, try it in your CD ROM player-player/recorder and see if it will work. You probably have tried that, but if not it could work. I'm sure Frank's CD is not a DVD. Jim.

Frank Pellow
01-10-2006, 7:42 PM
Sorry about the problems Tom. It is the first that I have heard of such a thing and I have no clue what the problem might be. I was not aware that there was such a thing as a DVD drive that would not read a CD, but it seems that there might be.

Lots of folks have read the CD that I sent on DVD drives with no problems. I myself have used DVD drives on 6 different computers to read it.

Tom Hamilton
01-10-2006, 7:50 PM
Vaughn, you are probably right, but I wanted to eliminate the possiblility of a software conflict before jumping into a new drive.

Jim, the drive is capable of reading both formats.

Frank, it is not a problem with the CD, it worked fine on the Bookstore computer at church :) , I have some type of issue with this laptop.

Thanks for all your replies. It may be "Geeksquad" next.

Tom

Aaron Koehl
01-11-2006, 3:44 PM
Well, that rules the CD out-

Travis Porter
01-11-2006, 4:05 PM
TO me, it sounds like a combination of the CD and the drive. The drive may not be compatible with the CD itself due to the speed it was burned and the type.