PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust Bowls

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2006, 6:23 PM
These honey locust natural edge bowls were turned last week. They are in the neighborhood of 10 inches wide and 5 inches tall, and are finished with lacquer. One of my wood spotters which is a tree surgeon called me and asked me if I wanted this tree that had spikes on it. You can look at the pictures and see my reply. The one I labeled 1S is almost a natural edge hollowform, and it taxed my ability. Your comments are welcomed.

Gary Max
01-09-2006, 6:36 PM
Glenn those are very cool---do you use CA to hold the bark???

John Miliunas
01-09-2006, 6:51 PM
Killer pieces, all three of them, Glenn! I sincerely am having a super-hard time trying to pick my favorite out of them. Beautiful job on all three!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 6:56 PM
Very nice. Very nice indeed! Thanks.

Bob Noles
01-09-2006, 7:02 PM
Glen.....

Absolutely AWESOME! Those just stop me in my tracks to stare :cool:

I have no idea what it takes to turn something like that, but that is some most impressive talent.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Keith Burns
01-09-2006, 7:18 PM
There you go again, Glenn, showing off:D. All three are super for sure:) :) . One of these days I'm going to do one but I too have trouble getting it in my mind how to. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dick Parr
01-09-2006, 7:23 PM
Those are really great Glenn, love all 3.

Mark Cothren
01-09-2006, 7:26 PM
SMOKIN'!!!!!! Glenn, these are just fantastic pieces! I like 'em all, but especially the first one. That is one beautiful chunk of wood and you did it just right.

Thanks for the pictures!

Robert Mickley
01-09-2006, 7:53 PM
That is great Glenn, my wife calls ones like the middle one gravy boats

Michael Stafford
01-09-2006, 8:05 PM
Pretty nice, Glenn, pretty nice indeed!!!!:D

Travis Stinson
01-09-2006, 8:14 PM
Sweet bowls Glenn. I'm partial to the 1st one also, great job!:cool:

Ernie Nyvall
01-09-2006, 8:53 PM
Glenn, those are really something. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2006, 8:57 PM
Gary, I use CA glue to hold the bark on all my natural edge bowls. The sapwood, heartwood, and bark (you know cambium, precambium an all that stuff we had to learn years ago) all dry at different rates so the CA helps keep the bark on, but don't give away my secret. People that buy these natural edge bowls are concerned about the bark adhering to the bowl. Thanks for all the nice comments about the bowls.

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 9:00 PM
Gary, I use CA glue to hold the bark on all my natural edge bowls. The sapwood, heartwood, and bark (you know cambium, precambium an all that stuff we had to learn years ago) all dry at different rates so the CA helps keep the bark on, but don't give away my secret. People that buy these natural edge bowls are concerned about the bark adhering to the bowl.

Glenn - I'd be interested in more detail about this.

Thin Medium Thick All of the Above

Spot application or flood.

Etc.

I'm working on my first NE right now and got some loose sections.

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2006, 9:23 PM
Andy I will try and answer your questions.
You asked
Glenn - I'd be interested in more detail about this.

Thin Medium Thick All of the Above

Spot application or flood.

Etc.

I'm working on my first NE right now and got some loose sections.
After I turn the outside profile I stop the lathe, and coat the layer of sapwood near the bark with wax, I use Johnson's Wax because that is what I have. I then use Starbond's medium thin and put it in all the crevices of the bark for about an inch around the outside edge of the bowl. If you do not have medium thin use medium. Spot application is not enough for me. If there is a place on the side of the bark near the sapwood that needs it I put it on there also. The wax keeps the sapwood from getting stained. I spray accelerator on this and wait until I am sure it has cured so it will not get on my glasses. I also take a wood chisel and cut me some bark out of the center of the piece before I turn it because I might need it to patch up a place on the edge (you never can tell what will happen, right). This prevents me from crawling around on the floor of my shop looking for bark later. If there is a void where the bark has buckled up between the bark and the sapwood I put some coffee grounds in there and saturate this with thin CA glue. DO NOT PUT ACCELERATOR ON THIS!!! If you do it will fuzz up and turn white. It looks just like bark when it dries and you sand it. I hope this has been helpful. A lot of what I enjoy about woodturning is the problem solving. Look at bowl S2 and you will see a void at the back of this bowl, it was filled with coffee grounds and CA glue.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Fantasmigorical, Glen!

Bruce

Carole Valentine
01-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Very nice work, Glenn! That semi-hollow from gives me ideas...dangerous ideas.:D But as someone in one of these forums said about me "She'll try anything!"

John Hart
01-10-2006, 7:02 AM
Mental note: Meet a Tree Surgeon.

Just beautiful Glenn! All three. Thanks for sharing your process too. That was enlightening and now I feel like I can give it a better shot.:)

Jim Dunn
01-10-2006, 7:07 AM
Glen, I've got used coffee grounds, lots, are these OK to use?? Or do I have to sacrifice some new grounds?

Pretty bowls!

Jim

Pete Kekel
01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Great job on the bowls Glenn. These appear to be Black Locust to me because of the coloring - more of a greenish-yellow color than the normal orange-pink of Honey Locust.

I do the same thing with the CA glue, only I let the bowl dry first before putting any glue on it. Sometimes I keep the bark, and sometimes I don't. With wood that moves a lot (Walnut, Cherry) I find it's easier to wait until all the movement is stopped before gluing the bark in place. With as stable as Locust is, glue would work right from the get-go. Great job on the turnings - #1 is my favorite also.

Andy Hoyt
01-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Glenn - Thanks for the gluing tips.

Mike Ramsey
01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Amazing as always! Gonna try that one of these days..

Cody Colston
01-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Those are absolutely beautiful. I can only dream of doing work that fine.

I like all three but am partial to the shape of the middle one. I can also see how difficult no. 1 must have been to turn.

Great job.

Cody