PDA

View Full Version : Turning Glue Up Question

Chris DiCiaccio
01-09-2006, 3:43 PM
I have glued up two 3/4 x 2 x 5 inch pieces of maple face to face to make a small blank for turning practice, using titebond 2. How long should I wait before it is safe to turn? Thanks for the help. It's great to have you folks along for this new adventure. Love your pieces!

Michael Stafford
01-09-2006, 3:54 PM
Chris, folks will tell you different things but I am conservative about these things and let the glue cure over night. I really don't care for flying projectiles at 1000 rpm......:eek:

Greg Heppeard
01-09-2006, 3:59 PM
I run glue ups through the planer after setting up for only an hour. On turning, tho, I tend to agree with Mike and would let it set overnight.

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2006, 4:07 PM
Chris when I got my lathe a couple of weeks ago I did what you are asking. I let it set and dry for 24 hrs.

John Hart
01-09-2006, 4:12 PM
Hey Chris...I agree..overnight. BUT, if you want to get into practice right away...get in your car, drive a little and keep your eye on the side of the road. After a couple of minutes, you will spot stuff you can turn tonight!

No...not the neighbor's mailbox post..:rolleyes: ..but then again....., maybe...:p

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 5:04 PM
24 hours for PVA for a full cure...and you want that when the thing is spinning in front of your face!

Keith Burns
01-09-2006, 5:39 PM
Not going to give you any bad advice so go with overnight. If you have them stacked use your tailstock for added support.

Chip Sutherland
01-09-2006, 8:21 PM
Be sure to wear a face shield in case it decides to delaminate itself at 600rpm or higher. In which case knock the corners off because they hurt the most. DAMHIKT. In other words, wait the wait. If you're still hot to trot/turn, keep a spare 2x4 to satisfy the spinning itch. :D

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-10-2006, 7:26 PM
Hi Chris .

White glue or yellow can be safely turned after two hours in a warm dry enviroment .I have turned literly thousands of glue ups and have never had one delam on me.I have rushed jobs through in as little as an hour ,but you risk shrinkage problems because of the water in the glue .
One of the reasons manufacturers recomend twenty four hours is the wood swells from the water and can cause uneven shrinkage if manipulated to quickly.There are several exceptions that I wait at least four hours ,Hard Maple , Jatoba (brazilian cherry), and Hickory.These woods have either density or chemical problems that are treated specially.

happy turning