PDA

View Full Version : How to layout door dimensions for Pie Corner?

Thomas Colson
05-08-2021, 10:03 AM
I am in the very very very early/preliminary/rough-sketch of laying out a new cabinet build (for myself). "Early" is the key word here. Right now, I'm trying to wrap my head around how to dimension 1/2" overlay doors for a face-frame "pie corner" cabinet. Looking at the directions for the Blum 170° Pie Corner Hinge Kit, Face Frame, 1/2'' Overlay (https://www.rockler.com/blum-170-deg-pie-corner-hinge-kit-face-frame-1-2-overlay) hinges, I see the outside corners of the 2 doors just touching at the closed 90 deg position.

In this design (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tpcolson/51165321231/), all I did was take my two wall cabinets and rotate one 90 deg to the other to achieve my corner. Note, increasing the width of either cabinet is 100% not an option due to window on one side, stove on the other. Clearly a lot more work needs to be done to the drawing (e.g the two face frame stiles #1 need to go), but for the purpose of this question, all I'm interested in is figuring out the door/hinge situation. I have learned, through many hours of frustration, not to start messing with things in Sketchup until I get the "outside" layouts correct, then start working inward (carcas).

So do I:

Widen door stiles 2 and 3 by 1/4 inch each so outside corners meet for the Blum hinge? 1/4 inch wider on one side is something I can live with, you should see the vanity I just built....
Widen both door stiles (all 4) by 1/8 inch either side, which would be even less noticeable, but would result in a 5/8 door overlay, thus negating the great deal I got on a very large box of Blum 1/2 overlay hinges....do 5/8 overlay hinges even exist?
Just send it: there's enough lateral adjustment in both hinges (per door) to kinda sorta make it look ok
Offset the hinge on d00r (narrower door) to bring it to meet outside corner of door #1, increase width of stile nearest window 1/4"
Bring the two cabinets closer together at intersection #1 so the doors meet at outside corner. I can't make them wider, but there's no constraint in my design against moving them closer together at that corner....now you see why I haven't finished the carcass or face frame layout!

None of these options make any sense, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to layout pie corner doors...

Steve Rozmiarek
05-09-2021, 10:20 AM
I'd strongly recommend a quick mock up. You have extra hinges, just throw something together that allows you to play with the overlays and angles.

Bobby Robbinett
05-10-2021, 6:37 AM
You don’t need to build your doors any differently whether it’s a 90 degree corner cab or an angled corner cab. If you are using 1/2” overlay style hinges then door A will be the opening plus 1/2” and door B will be the opening plus 1/2” minus the thickness of door A.

The reason the doors are plus 1/2” and not plus 1” like it would normally be for 1/2” overlay is because the opening is only open on one side. Door B will be the opening plus 1/2” minus the thickness of door A.