PDA

View Full Version : Dismantling a 100 yr old Japanese house

Bill Carey
05-07-2021, 11:50 PM
Interesting short video showing the joinery used in the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_geUQSlnbQ

Mark Hennebury
05-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Some nice joinery in that old place! Pretty amazing stuff. Thanks for posting.

Derek Cohen
05-08-2021, 10:45 AM
I think the joinery is amazing. I've watched videos of Japanese houses being built with the same joinery. No nails, bolts or mechanical fasteners anywhere. Just wedges.

One day, when I grow up, I want to do this. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill Carey
05-08-2021, 11:09 AM
I think the joinery is amazing. I've watched videos of Japanese houses being built with the same joinery. No nails, bolts or mechanical fasteners anywhere. Just wedges.

One day, when I grow up, I want to do this. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

you and me both, Derek. Someday.............

Mike Manning
05-08-2021, 12:17 PM
I wonder if that house is just being moved to be rebuilt? I was disappointed that I didn't see any signs they were marking those pieces to be put back together. Thanks for sharing!

Bill Carey
05-08-2021, 12:28 PM
I wonder if that house is just being moved to be rebuilt? I was disappointed that I didn't see any signs they were marking those pieces to be put back together. Thanks for sharing!

I wondered about that as well because the story is that it was being dismantled to be moved and restored at a new location. Maybe they just like a challenge. :eek:

Jim Koepke
05-08-2021, 2:08 PM
Thanks for posting this Bill, it is interesting to see how the joinery goes together.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
05-08-2021, 4:05 PM
That is NOT joinery. Artistry is a far more accurate term.

Kevin Jenness
05-08-2021, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the link, Bill- very interesting. My son says he has been following the project on Instagram, so there is more to see for those interested.

Lawrence Burkett
05-08-2021, 9:09 PM
Really great video and pretty humbling. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Soaper
05-08-2021, 11:45 PM
Neat video, thanks.

Good timing too, as while cable surfing I recently came across a show that talked about Japanese "Moon Wood". It seems some timber there was/is harvested after a full moon (waning) as it is thought that the wood is more "stable" and more resistant to decay and insect damage. If I recall correctly part of it is related to less sap in the wood. Made me wonder if one of the reasons the joints in Bill's video held up so well is because the timbers had less seasonal movement.

Mike Allen1010
05-10-2021, 5:32 PM
Bill thanks so much for sharing this video! The complexity and precision of this joinery is nothing short of amazing! Airtight joints just perfectly friction fit after 92 years I am completely humbled! I'm struck by two thoughts:

How does this kind of design/build philosophy come about? When you consider how different it is from Western frame and stick construction but 22 by force together and shooting some nails it couldn't be more different.

Secondly, I give my left arm to spend six months learning from these guys. It probably take that long just to wrap my head around understanding that three-dimensional joinery they're doing.

Utterly incredible!