PDA

View Full Version : Old Stanley Block Plane

Jim Bennett
05-06-2021, 4:42 PM
I found this old Stanley plane in a former printing shop I purchased. Anyone have an idea of the age? The only markings are on the front (Stanley in 2 places and Pat 2-18-13). The blade looks like it has been sharpened many times! The printing shop was built in 1926 and had been in continuous use until last year.

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
05-07-2021, 1:05 AM
The knuckle joint lever cap patent places it between 1913 and 1930. The V logo was used between 1910 and 1920.

It looks like a #18.

jtk

Rob Luter
05-07-2021, 6:47 AM
Probably a #18 (standard) or a #65 (Low Angle). I can't tell from the photos. I've had multiples of both and they're good users. I think it's about time for a new blade.

Jim Bennett
05-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks! So it's possible that this plane was used putting up the original building in the mid-1920s. Which makes a nice story - although it just as possible someone lost it during renovations in the next 50 years. Based on the blade wear, it wasn't exactly new when it was lost.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Thanks! So it's possible that this plane was used putting up the original building in the mid-1920s. Which makes a nice story - although it just as possible someone lost it during renovations in the next 50 years. Based on the blade wear, it wasn't exactly new when it was lost.

Jim, can you post a side view so we can tell if it is a low angle or a high angle?

To me one image looks like a high angle. That could be the angle from which the photo was taken.

jtk

Tom M King
05-07-2021, 2:01 PM
Looks like there's not much life left in that iron.:) All my block planes are old Stanley's, even the ones I bought new. I've never seen, in person, an iron that short. I expect most have been discarded, or repurposed.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2021, 2:41 PM
Looks like there's not much life left in that iron.:) All my block planes are old Stanley's, even the ones I bought new. I've never seen, in person, an iron that short. I expect most have been discarded, or repurposed.

It looks like someone cut out the adjustment section to get a touch more use out of the iron.

jtk

Tom M King
05-07-2021, 4:31 PM
Yes, I had figured it had a very frugal owner.

Jim Bennett
05-07-2021, 4:32 PM
Here's a shot from each side

Tom M King
05-07-2021, 4:34 PM
Regular, not low angle. Looks like a very useable block plane now. I'd advise not to get a Hock iron for it, only because the square end kind of defeats the comfortable handle those have.

Jim Bennett
05-07-2021, 4:43 PM
It looks like someone cut out the adjustment section to get a touch more use out of the iron.

jtk
It took me a while to notice how it had been modified to get the most use out of that iron. I saw it while I was contemplating how long it would take me to get the blade square again. Am I going to have trouble finding a new iron that will work in this plane? Or do I have to buy vintage?

Tom M King
05-07-2021, 4:52 PM
There are multiple manufacturers that make replacements. There are really only two variations. Ones for newer block planes, which are not the ones you need, have fewer, and larger adjustment mesh slots. I believe LV makes them, as well.

edited to add link: Not sure if the angled top will stick out past the cap handle. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/blades/102812-stanley-block-plane-blades-made-by-veritas

This shows the kind of adjustment slots that won't work with your plane: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-508-Replacement-Cutter-12-331/dp/B00009OYFT

Tom M King
05-07-2021, 4:58 PM
I'd probably get a Ray Ilses: https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-RIIRON.XX

Jim Koepke
05-07-2021, 8:25 PM
Here's a shot from each side

Like Tom posted, regular angle, it is likely a #18 > http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num18

jtk

Jim Bennett
05-07-2021, 8:33 PM
Tom, thanks for your help! I’m only a hand tool wannabe, so you are probably saving me a lot of time searching and making mistakes.

The old print shop where I found this plane is eventually going to be my new wood shop. So it will be nice to actually use this plane while working in the shop.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2021, 8:43 PM
The old print shop where I found this plane is eventually going to be my new wood shop. So it will be nice to actually use this plane while working in the shop.

Many print shops used wooden spacers to aid in locking up the type in the chase (type holding frame). There were also wooden type and images (or cuts) which were often thin metal mounted on wood.

The plane may have been used for trimming printing components and not carpentry.

jtk

J. Greg Jones
05-08-2021, 6:18 AM
Blades that have adjustment slots that go entirely through the blade, like the Veritas and Hock blades, will not work in a knuckle cap block plane. The lever cap cams to tighten on the top (bevel up) side of the blade, and if there are slots on that side, the cap levers on a slot and tries to drive the blade forward. You need a blade that has slots only cut on the back side of the blade. You can see the wear area on this old Stanley blade.

Edited to add, Jim, what is the width of your blade?

Tom M King
05-08-2021, 8:13 AM
Great point! My lever cap planes still have the original irons, so I've never even paid any attention to that detail. The only replacement block plane iron I've ever bought was a Hock. It really is a nice iron, as far as cutting goes, but the square upper corners are a real pain in the palm.

steven c newman
05-08-2021, 10:40 AM
I just might have a spare iron that will fit the No. 18....would need an address to mail it to....will let you know....when I am allowed to move around a wee bit better.

Hmmm...I just looked..have 2 such irons I don't need...one is a Craftsman logo, the other has the clipped box Stanley logo....both are 1-5/8" wide. The Stanley logo iron is actually the thicker of the 2..

Jim Bennett
05-08-2021, 11:40 AM
"Edited to add, Jim, what is the width of your blade?"

The blade is 1-5/8".
Thanks for the tip on the blade slots, I had noticed the slots only were on the back side, unlike my new Stanley block plane, but I hadn't thought about why.

Jim Bennett
05-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Many print shops used wooden spacers to aid in locking up the type in the chase (type holding frame). There were also wooden type and images (or cuts) which were often thin metal mounted on wood.

The plane may have been used for trimming printing components and not carpentry.

jtk

It makes a lot more sense that the plane was used for the printing equipment. Since the shop was in continuous operation since the 1920s, I believe it had about every iteration of printing equipment installed at one time or another.

steven c newman
05-08-2021, 1:02 PM
Got to looking around, found a box...
Inside this box..
This one might be a little newer than the OP's...
Sole seems to be good enough for the work..

Now, about those irons..
View at the edge/bevel
And the logos...
And the all important notches....
Lid to the box can slide back shut, until this plane is needed, again...

Jim Koepke
05-08-2021, 1:55 PM
This one might be a little newer than the OP's...

Yours has the first type of knuckle cap, Jim's has a later version.

The early design has a tendency to slip off at times.

If yours has a patent date on the mouth adjuster it is even older.

jtk