PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Pecan scraps/chips for smoker

Matthew Curtis
05-06-2021, 2:11 PM
Were can I get some affordable pecan for my smoker? Prices seem crazy to mail order from amazon. I wish it grew in Ohio.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-06-2021, 3:15 PM
Might want to google Green Valley Pecan Company
They sell wood local, not sure about mail order

Matthew Curtis
05-06-2021, 3:46 PM
Might want to google Green Valley Pecan Company
They sell wood local, not sure about mail order

No mail order for wood. Only personal pick up.

russell lusthaus
05-06-2021, 4:47 PM
come visit me in NY and you can chop up and take all the hickory and oak chips you can carry . . . .

Pecan is very similar to hickory.

Matthew Curtis
05-06-2021, 5:34 PM
come visit me in NY and you can chop up and take all the hickory and oak chips you can carry . . . .

Pecan is very similar to hickory.

Pecan to me is a bit milder. I prefer it over hickory when cooking pork

Richard Verwoest
05-06-2021, 5:50 PM
I believe the "big box stores" carry bags of pecan for smokers.

Doug Dawson
05-06-2021, 7:06 PM
I believe the "big box stores" carry bags of pecan for smokers.
Yeah, you can get giant bags of it (20 pounds?) from the BORG for not a lot of money. Hickory, pecan, cherry,...

Adam Grund
05-06-2021, 7:07 PM
You want whole splits, or chunks/chips?
Splits I can’t help with. Chunks and chips I’ve bought from both Home Depot and ace. It’s stocked In northeast Ohio, anyways

Thomas Canfield
05-06-2021, 9:12 PM
I have given wood shavings from turning to a friend that smokes meat. Got some jerky and sausage for payment and got rid of 30 gallon of shavings. Also have given him Mesquite for same purpose. The shavings have to be dampened to get good smoke, but work well.

Peter Kelly
05-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Pecan to me is a bit milder. I prefer it over hickory when cooking porkMaple no good? I've used it smoking pork shoulder, came out great.

Kevin Smira
05-09-2021, 5:21 PM
Cant help with pecan, but I’ve always smoked pork over fruitwood. My favorite is peach. However, I’ve never seen peach splits because the tree doesn’t get that large.