PDA

View Full Version : Famous pieces

Robert Mickley
01-09-2006, 1:47 PM
Ok so what your most famous piece, or at least the one that gets the most exposure?

My only two claims to fame are, I have 3 open segment baskets that are on the breakfast buffet line in the Renaissance Hotel In Asheville NC, and a lamp thats in the Nottaway County Prosecuters office.

These aren't the exact baskets, these are 8 inches and done with 1/2 inche thick stock. The ones in the hotel are 12 and made with 3/4 stock and 3/4 spacing.
Can't seem to find the pics of them:confused:

Carole Valentine
01-09-2006, 1:59 PM
Only place I get any exposure is here, WC and WoW. Oh, and I did have a piece in the Winter issue of Woodturning Design, but it was one of my early pieces that was auctioned for the Katrina Benefit. No galleries or public places yet.:(

Raymond Overman
01-09-2006, 2:01 PM
My father in law gave one of my peach pens to the govenor of SC. I'm not sure if he ever used it but I was told it was well recieved.

I also gave an ironwood pen to the president of the company I work for after she signed a document to transfer about $5M and needed to borrow a pen. I figured the pen wouldn't work for me anymore.

John Hart
01-09-2006, 2:31 PM
I showed a vase to the dog the other day. She seemed to like it. Other than that...no exposure. I'm sparing the world some pain. :)

Keith Burns
01-09-2006, 3:02 PM
Claim to Fame ??? I only post here and some on WoW. Did have Malcolm Tibbets critique a couple of my pieces on WoW. That was a thrill. Sold a piece for $750.00. That was a big thrill. Won 3 ribbons at the county fair. That was a thrill. I don't claim fame, I just claim thrills.

Keith Burns
01-09-2006, 3:03 PM
I showed a vase to the dog the other day. She seemed to like it. Other than that...no exposure. I'm sparing the world some pain. :)

John my friend, YOU ARE A HOOT:)

John Miliunas
01-09-2006, 3:12 PM

You're doing good!!! :D Tried my hand at a really BIG bowl, figuring my dog would like it for a food dish. He peeee'd on it!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

John Hart
01-09-2006, 3:21 PM
You're doing good!!! :D Tried my hand at a really BIG bowl, figuring my dog would like it for a food dish. He peeee'd on it!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

LOL!!!!! That's the most I've laughed in a week!!! Thanks JM...All the folks in my department are wondering what I'm working on that's so funny.:D :D

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 3:25 PM
There are no pictures of my most memorable piece and it will never be seen. My childhood best buddy died unexpectedly a couple of years ago and his family asked that I prepare something suitable to hold his ashes. It was early December and the their goal was to get him buried before the ground froze up too much to dig.

With no time to spare and no ready stock at hand, I felled a maple in the woods out back, borrowed a lathe with a bigger swing than mine, and turned a 14 x 14 vessel with a mating lid. Gorgeous chunk of the wettest wood I've run across in a long time.

We put my pal inside and had to do some emergency whittling at the funeral parlor since everything had warped pretty good right away. We epoxied him in for all time, dug the hole ourselves, said a few prayers, sang a few songs, and proceeded to drink our selves stupid in his honor.

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 3:28 PM
On the other hand, I too have turned a bowl for the dog. Beast thought it was a chew toy, and thusly never could hold water.

Sorry - hope I didn't bum you out with that first post.

Michael Stafford
01-09-2006, 3:34 PM
John, you are a funny guy. My dog, when she was alive was never interested in any of my woodwork, but would lie down in the biggest pile of sawdust and woodchips she could find in the shop. She was much more impressed with me if I had a liver snap in my pocket. I usually carried one in my shirt pocket for her when we were in the shop.

I have a couple of pieces that have done well in art shows but they are owned by the LOML. I am not woodworking to impress anyone and when my woodworking friends are kind enough to ask me for one of my pieces that is all the recognition I need.

Robert Mickley
01-09-2006, 4:46 PM
. Sold a piece for $750.00. That was a big thrill. Won 3 ribbons at the county fair. That was a thrill. I don't claim fame, I just claim thrills.

highest I've ever done on a turning was, $200 on a bowl, Best value for wood involved, a cherry goblet that I got $125 for.

Ok so I gotta ask just what is WoW?

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 5:01 PM
I paid $550 for a bowl (AAW Symposium charity auction - Phil Brennion piece), but have not sold anything to-date, only given things to friends and loved ones.

Jim Dunn
01-09-2006, 6:05 PM
Got my dog into the shop, dust collector scared him and he messed on the floor. My claim to fame is I cleaned it up before I stepped in it. Oh, and before my wife yelled at me. She did like my mallet/hammer though and that's good enough for me.

Jim

Ernie Nyvall
01-09-2006, 7:36 PM
When I bring a finished piece in the house, my 2 yr. old grandson puts his hand in it and says "pretty"... that's all I'll ever need to keep turning. Course there will come a time when he says "get that outa my face PaPaw.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
01-09-2006, 8:47 PM
There are no pictures of my most memorable piece and it will never be seen. My childhood best buddy died unexpectedly a couple of years ago and his family asked that I prepare something suitable to hold his ashes. It was early December and the their goal was to get him buried before the ground froze up too much to dig.

With no time to spare and no ready stock at hand, I felled a maple in the woods out back, borrowed a lathe with a bigger swing than mine, and turned a 14 x 14 vessel with a mating lid. Gorgeous chunk of the wettest wood I've run across in a long time.

We put my pal inside and had to do some emergency whittling at the funeral parlor since everything had warped pretty good right away. We epoxied him in for all time, dug the hole ourselves, said a few prayers, sang a few songs, and proceeded to drink our selves stupid in his honor.

Wow, that's about as much of an honor as you can ask for. Both to your old pal and to you. That sort of chokes a guy up. You'll have a hard time topping that.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-10-2006, 7:48 PM
I turned two bats if memory is correct they were umm six feet exact duplicates in scale to hank arrons bat .they went on tuor through the states being signed by all the black players still living .I have my initials stamped on the ends ,each went to the hall of fame suposed to be hung some where probably in a closet . turned two bats for Mr ken Griffy senior , Dave Andews. Sold a free form yew bowl to a lady who gave it to the owner of avon, she liked it so much she held it in her lap on the plane all the way to France ,so I am told. Glad she liked it!