PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Jet Oscillating Spindle Sander - Need Some Advice

Joe Beaulieu
05-01-2021, 4:44 PM
Hey Folks,

I have the Tabletop Jet OSS. Had it for more than 20 years and very with it happy, until now. I cannot get the spindle out of the sander. I am a very large guy with exceptionlly strong hands, and even with a set of vise grips on the post, and a large, long handled adjustable wrench on the spindle, I cannot crack the thing open. I have removed the table to maybe try and get more leverage - no luck. I used 3 in 1 oil on it and let it seep overnight - no difference. I have tried both directions - the doubt of it being a left handed thread crept in a while ago. Made no difference either. I went back to it being a standard thread.

Anyone have a suggestion? I am very reluctant to buy replacements -- it will be expensive because it will include the spindle and the recepticle. Of course less expensive than a new sander. I am not sure what to do - any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Joe

Joe Beaulieu
05-01-2021, 6:45 PM
Hey Folks,

I have the Tabletop Jet OSS. Had it for more than 20 years and very with it happy, until now. I cannot get the spindle out of the sander. I am a very large guy with exceptionlly strong hands, and even with a set of vise grips on the post, and a large, long handled adjustable wrench on the spindle, I cannot crack the thing open. I have removed the table to maybe try and get more leverage - no luck. I used 3 in 1 oil on it and let it seep overnight - no difference. I have tried both directions - the doubt of it being a left handed thread crept in a while ago. Made no difference either. I went back to it being a standard thread.

Anyone have a suggestion? I am very reluctant to buy replacements -- it will be expensive because it will include the spindle and the recepticle. Of course less expensive than a new sander. I am not sure what to do - any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Joe

Giot it off - got a running start and just used as much muscle as I could muster, not bad for 64 years old!

:-)

Thanks All

Joe

Robert Hayward
05-01-2021, 7:46 PM
I had a Jet JBOS-5 spindle sander years ago. The spindle would become stuck in the tapered holder frequently. What finally helped me was never leaving a drum in the machine when I was finished using it. Never wrench tighten the drum, hand only. Finally, a very light coating of an anti seize compound for automotive threaded fasteners.

Glad you got yours to loosen.

Alex Zeller
05-02-2021, 6:34 AM
I also only tighten the drums by hand and I'll clean out the tapered hole and the drums before installing them.

Randall J Cox
05-02-2021, 9:39 AM
Wow, I have one of those, never had any problems like that. However, I will go out and take off the spindle today. And I have used tools to tighten, no need now that I think of it. Good stuff to know. Thanks for posting and glad you got it off! Randy

Robert Hayward
05-02-2021, 7:56 PM
I'll clean out the tapered hole and the drums before installing them.

That is something I did with the Jet also, and my current Grizzly G1071.

I also put a piece of aluminum foil over the spindle socket. Foil allows me to hand form a snug fit. This keeps dust and debris out of the socket.