PDA

View Full Version : Cab experts - Preventing slides from damaging doors.

Robert Engel
04-30-2021, 8:13 PM
I’ve built new doors. The pantry unit has slide outs you can see fro the pic the issue.

I’ve ordered protective cap that cover the metal, but don’t like the design.

Thinking about a strip of UHMW. Or maybe adding a false front that covers the slide.

Is there a better way to tackle this?

Jamie Buxton
04-30-2021, 10:47 PM
Put a bumper wedge on the side of each drawer which forces the door to open the full 90 degrees it needs to avoid the slide.

Tom Henderson2
04-30-2021, 10:55 PM
Check out the Fastcap “Drawer bumpers” — exactly what you need.

glenn bradley
05-01-2021, 12:22 AM
Tom's got it. I think Jamie is talking about the same thing. I like the Fast Cap ones better than the hard ones I accidentally ordered and never use.

Dave Sabo
05-02-2021, 1:20 AM
Is there a better way to tackle this?

Yes,

use undermount glides for one. Second, use hinges with more opening angle.

Robert Engel
05-02-2021, 11:38 AM
I think those are still going to eventually wear on the paint.

A hinge that holds the door fully open would be the best solution.

Hadn't thought about undermount slides. One of the issues is the door being closed and the drawer not fully pushed in & would solve that.

Heavy duty tandems it is!!!

Jamie Buxton
05-02-2021, 11:52 AM
I think those are still going to eventually wear on the paint.

A hinge that holds the door fully open would be the best solution.

Hadn't thought about undermount slides. One of the issues is the door being closed and the drawer not fully pushed in & would solve that.

Heavy duty tandems it is!!!

Converting existing sidemount drawers to undermounts is tricky. For instance, undermounts expect to wrap around the drawer side, and up into a cavity underneath the drawer bottom. And there are specific front-to-back dimensions for the drawer box which you must use. Maybe you can do the conversion, but maybe it will turn out easier to make new drawers. But all the hurdles aside, undermounts -- especially with the auto-close feature -- are a great solution to your problem.