PDA

View Full Version : Post office does it again

Bert Kemp
04-30-2021, 3:57 PM
So my package arrives yesterday at the Phoenix annex whis is about 44 mile south of my house so I'm expecting it to be here today , so I check tracking and they sent it 115 miles south to another PO.Tlak about wasted time and money. and from what I read its gonna get worse .:mad:

Dave Lehnert
04-30-2021, 8:48 PM
I ordered a package on Sunday night and the shipping co. shipped it two days before on Friday. That's what the tracking said.

Bruce Wrenn
04-30-2021, 8:51 PM
Often, I have packages in hand that tracking shows USPS doesn't have them yet. Most that are tracked are arriving a couple days BEFORE expected delivery date

David Bassett
04-30-2021, 9:04 PM
Hey, it's not just USPS that has bad days. I was supposed to get a package today and tracking says FedEx sent it NE instead of the correct SW. (For locals, from Stockton to Roseville, instead of to San Jose.) I'm convinced these things happen because something gets tossed into the wrong bin or the bin gets put on the wrong truck. They always figure it out and I get it eventually.

Bert Kemp
05-01-2021, 1:04 AM
Yea but the mistakes and late deliveries and lost packages are happening way to often:mad:

Malcolm Schweizer
05-01-2021, 7:36 AM
I sent one of my original artworks to my niece and it has been stuck in San Juan for over a week now. Someone sent me a photo, which I didn’t save or I would share it, if the San Juan sort facility backup. Boxes on the tarmac covered in tarps. I really hope my drawing isn’t lost. I liked this one so much I kind of didn’t want to let go of it.

Jim Matthews
05-01-2021, 7:41 AM
I liked this one so much I kind of didn’t want to let go of it.

Kandinsky was much the same.

Kudos

Ron Citerone
05-01-2021, 8:26 AM
I sent one of my original artworks to my niece and it has been stuck in San Juan for over a week now. Someone sent me a photo, which I didn’t save or I would share it, if the San Juan sort facility backup. Boxes on the tarmac covered in tarps. I really hope my drawing isn’t lost. I liked this one so much I kind of didn’t want to let go of it.

Gorgeous painting!

Malcolm Schweizer
05-01-2021, 9:38 AM
Thanks! Prismacolor on black paper. Guess what- it shows out for delivery just now!!!

glenn bradley
05-01-2021, 9:42 AM
Yea but the mistakes and late deliveries and lost packages are happening way to often:mad:

The upswing in poor and failed service is something new in my experience. I was always amazed that the USPS could do what they do for the price. Running it must be more of an art than a science. There are some organizations that do not benefit as we might expect with a businessman at the helm. These operations require a different set of skills. Could you see a successful CEO as a high ranking military officer? Overseeing a bleeding-edge medical research center? Leading a successful art colony?

Bert Kemp
05-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Mine shows its back in Phoenix this morning, wonder where its going next:confused:

Mel Fulks
05-01-2021, 1:03 PM
When they got too lazy to put up the wanted posters ,I knew we were in trouble. They told me their interior decorator wanted a “new look”

Aaron Rosenthal
05-01-2021, 1:11 PM
USPS isn’t the only one.
Canada Post can also take forever.
And while we’re talking, I ordered the balancing shims from the turner’s supply company recommended by posters here. They took 3 weeks to get to me, only 2 days of which was in customs clearance and delivery.

Bruce Wrenn
05-01-2021, 7:20 PM
When they got too lazy to put up the wanted posters ,I knew we were in trouble. They told me their interior decorator wanted a “new look”

Yeah, don't you miss my smiling face every time you go into post office?

lowell holmes
05-01-2021, 8:32 PM
Our postal service leaves a lot to be desired, they have slipped in recent years.

John K Jordan
05-01-2021, 11:50 PM
So my package arrives yesterday at the Phoenix annex whis is about 44 mile south of my house so I'm expecting it to be here today , so I check tracking and they sent it 115 miles south to another PO.Tlak about wasted time and money. and from what I read its gonna get worse .:mad:

TWICE in the last month I experienced identical misadventures from the USPS. Both times I had ordered something small from Amazon, was "guaranteed" a 2-day delivery time, then got a note saying the package would arrive late. Nearly a week later Amazon said "Your package may be lost" and offered a refund. Both time tracking showed the movement details were identical (except for the dates):

Both times I requested the refund, reordered the same item, and it was delivered the within two days. The most recent I reordered yesterday and received it today!
Very strange.

JKJ

Scott Winners
05-02-2021, 1:36 AM
The upswing in poor and failed service is something new in my experience. I was always amazed that the USPS could do what they do for the price. Running it must be more of an art than a science. There are some organizations that do not benefit as we might expect with a businessman at the helm. These operations require a different set of skills. Could you see a successful CEO as a high ranking military officer? Overseeing a bleeding-edge medical research center? Leading a successful art colony?

What Glenn said, it doesn’t take long memory to appreciate this point of view.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-02-2021, 7:41 AM
Update: package delivered. I should cut them some slack with COVID causing woes for teansportation. Usually a Priority Mail to or from here takes 3 to 4 days, which is pretty good.

The most amazing shipment time I have ever experienced was a letter sent from the Arctic Circle to the Virgin Islands. I received it the next day. Seriously, I don’t think you could have flown here from there in a day with connecting flights and layovers. The letter was just sent stamped mail.

dennis thompson
05-02-2021, 8:12 AM
I have had some poor experiences with the USPS but I think they are rare when I consider all the mail I send and receive. If the post office did not exist and I asked you how much it would cost to mail a letter from New Jersey to California , I bet their would be plenty of estimates of $5 and $10 and not too many of $.50-$.75.

Not to be too critical ( I guess I will be) sometimes we sound like a bunch of grouchy old men☺

Jim Koepke
05-04-2021, 2:03 AM
The most amazing shipment time I have ever experienced was a letter sent from the Arctic Circle to the Virgin Islands. I received it the next day. Seriously, I don’t think you could have flown here from there in a day with connecting flights and layovers. The letter was just sent stamped mail.

This could be due to the international date line running up to the north pole. If it was mailed from across the date line, it could technically have been mailed tomorrow to arrive the day after tomorrow which only seems like the day after yesterday.

Another factor to consider with current mail service is with people staying home they are ordering more from Amazon and every other retailer that will ship product.

Package handling is up. Handlers are in shorter supply. Stuff happens.

jtk

Curt Harms
05-04-2021, 8:38 AM
This could be due to the international date line running up to the north pole. If it was mailed from across the date line, it could technically have been mailed tomorrow to arrive the day after tomorrow which only seems like the day after yesterday.

Another factor to consider with current mail service is with people staying home they are ordering more from Amazon and every other retailer that will ship product.

Package handling is up. Handlers are in shorter supply. Stuff happens.

jtk

I believe it was someone here who said postal workers are allowed up to 12 weeks off 'to care for sick family members'. Lots and lots of sick family members (even if they didn't have any family members). So yeah, the Post Office would have been shorthanded. I don't recall details but my wife confirmed this with a local postmaster.

Gary Ragatz
05-04-2021, 10:59 AM
I believe it was someone here who said postal workers are allowed up to 12 weeks off 'to care for sick family members'. Lots and lots of sick family members (even if they didn't have any family members). So yeah, the Post Office would have been shorthanded. I don't recall details but my wife confirmed this with a local postmaster.

Not just Postal workers, but pretty much all employees of Federal, State and Local government entities, along with employees of most medium-to-large private sector companies are allowed up to 12 weeks per year of unpaid leave under FMLA (the Family Medical Leave Act). It was a great help to my wife as primary care giver for her mother and father as they approached the ends of their lives.

Curt Harms
05-05-2021, 9:33 AM
Not just Postal workers, but pretty much all employees of Federal, State and Local government entities, along with employees of most medium-to-large private sector companies are allowed up to 12 weeks per year of unpaid leave under FMLA (the Family Medical Leave Act). It was a great help to my wife as primary care giver for her mother and father as they approached the ends of their lives.

Excellent idea but it seems to have been abused.

lowell holmes
05-05-2021, 10:03 AM
If I have an important letter, I go to the post office and mail it.

Bert Kemp
05-05-2021, 12:37 PM
If I have an important letter, I go to the post office and mail it.

Does that get it delivered faster?:confused:

Zachary Hoyt
05-05-2021, 1:15 PM
I am very grateful to the post office in general for delivering and (especially) picking up out here, and during the pandemic they have been very effective at continuing to keep things moving, though I have had more delays than usual both in sending and receiving. As I understand it the current Postmaster General and some other persons in power in the last 20 years or so have been doing various things to undermine the postal service because they think it should be privatized. Living in a rural area I would think that the charges for shipping to and from here would be much worse if there was not a USPS for the private firms to compete with. Almost all of my income is derived from things I ship to other parts of the country and world, and a lot of my materials are delivered here too.

Gary Ragatz
05-05-2021, 8:58 PM
Excellent idea but it seems to have been abused.

Not quite clear to me how you would be able to come to that conclusion.

Curt Harms
05-06-2021, 9:08 AM
Not quite clear to me how you would be able to come to that conclusion.

People that don't have sick family members or close friends still taking the 12 weeks off. In my book that's abuse. Having legitimate family health issues is not.

Perry Hilbert Jr
05-06-2021, 9:16 AM
I ordered a specialized tool from a Chinese company on April 19., it was shipped on April 20 and on April 22, reached the USPS international Postal receiving station on Long Island New York. 7,000 miles in just three days. It is 190 miles from home to long island, NY and 14 days later it still hasn't arrived.

lowell holmes
05-06-2021, 10:04 AM
I have taken a letter to the post office and mailed it to myself and it was in my mail box the next day or two.

Why don't you do that and check it out.

I was in the Navy and served on a carrier and a destroyer.

Bert Kemp
05-06-2021, 10:23 AM
I don't understand what that proves. It just shows your in town PO can deliver a letter in town in a couple days. Please take that letter 2 or 3000 miles away and mail it ,then see how long it takes to get back to you
I have taken a letter to the post office and mailed it to myself and it was in my mail box the next day or two.

Why don't you do that and check it out.

I was in the Navy and served on a carrier and a destroyer.

Bruce Wrenn
05-06-2021, 9:46 PM
I don't understand what that proves. It just shows your in town PO can deliver a letter in town in a couple days. Please take that letter 2 or 3000 miles away and mail it ,then see how long it takes to get back to you

Daughter mailed Mother's Day card on the fourth (Northern Virginia,) and today wife was reading it. Two days. I have an Ebay purchase that left that left Indiana last night, and twelve hours later was in Raleigh (our distribution center.) Notice I said WAS, as now it's in Greensboro. If USPS is going to route it thru Greensboro, why the HECK didn't they stop the truck when it came thru there. I-40 passes within sight of Greensboro center.

Tom Stenzel
05-06-2021, 9:56 PM
Yesterday May 5th we received a letter from the State of Michigan. It was dated February 1. At least it was sent this year.

We had until March 12 to appeal the decision. Luckily it went the way we wanted anyway.

(edit: Lansing to Livonia is 76 miles)

-Tom

dennis thompson
05-07-2021, 6:46 AM
I have been on this website since 2007 and this is the crankiest, crabbiest, whiningiest thread I have ever seen.
I know those words probably don't exist , but you know what I mean.

Bruce Wrenn
05-07-2021, 10:06 AM
I have been on this website since 2007 and this is the crankiest, crabbiest, whiningiest thread I have ever seen.

Dennis, don't like it, then don't read it. Forum is OFF TOPIC. FYI, my package has arrived back from Greensboro, is supposedly out or delivery. Now the question is will we get mail today. Some days we don't. Have seen mail truck at box before seven AM, and again late in the evening, same day. Early delivery was what they couldn't get done yesterday.

Bert Kemp
05-07-2021, 10:27 AM
Did it again I ordered a Case Knife off Ebay May 2nd coming to AZ by May 7th Today.

May 3, 2021
4:07pm

DEPART POST OFFICE
THURMONT, MD 21788

May 4, 2021
12:17pm

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
WARRENDALE, PA 15086

May 5, 2021
8:17pm

SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152

May 6, 2021
1:34am

UNKNOWN, 01153

May 6, 2021
8:30pm

STAMFORD, CT 06910

May 7, 2021
1:12am

DEPART USPS FACILITY
STAMFORD, CT 06910

May 7, 2021
12:14am

DEPART USPS FACILITY
STAMFORD, CT 06910

May 6, 2021
10:56pm

STAMFORD, CT 06910

Bert Kemp
05-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Just to add I ordered 2 thing sent Fedex last week from different places and both were deliver in 2 days.

Bert Kemp
05-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Hey we have to whine about something, might as well be about the post office that continually messes things up :D

Bert Kemp
05-07-2021, 8:21 PM
and we wonder why we don't get mail ontime or at all

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/former-postal-worker-fined-for-failing-to-deliver-over-700-pieces-of-mail