PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Challenger Concept Car

John Hart
01-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone seen this?

It's due for release in 3 years I think. Takes me back. :)

tod evans
01-09-2006, 11:35 AM
looks kinda like chrysler is jumping on the bandwagon after fords mustang remake.

Jim Young
01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
One or the mags had a write up on this car. I think it looks great. We need more stuff like this to get car sales back to the US companies.

Anthony Anderson
01-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Yep, I had a 1970 Challenger R/T, 383,727,it was blue, and I was 18. Those were the days! I am glad to see they stayed true to the original design, as Ford did with the Mustang. Chrysler learned their lesson from the recent release from the Charger. It is a cool car, but they should have stayed true to the original. That's what most people want, (the ones who love the classics). And Ford proved that with the Mustang. I just saw the concept Camaro on CNN.com this morning, and again Chevrolet, in my opinion, has strayed too far from the beauty and unique, simple, style of the original. The designers are thinking too much, and are obviously not considering, at least enough, what their market wants. All that aside, it is good to see the muscle car era back again. I thought it was gone forever. Who says once a good thing is gone it never comes back?

Has anyone here purchased any of the new "classic" cars? Mustang, Charger? Will anyone buy the concept Camaro or Challenger if/when it is built? Just curious. Regards, Bill

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I just read the article on MSNBC.com about it this morning. They actually pulled a 1970 Challenger into the design studio for "inspiration"...and from the looks of the picture, they nailed it. A nice modern update that retains the "look" of the original. Ford's latest itteration of the Mustang also scored in this respect. Sounds like a Camaro is also in the works from GM, but I didn't see that picture. (as Anthony apparently did)

Although I was too young to own one when they they were "new", the Challenger was always a favorite for me and I built an award-winning model (local contest) of one at the time. Later, I had to settle for a 1969 Dodge Dart as my first car... ;)

David Fried
01-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Here you go Jim - another nice family car!

John Hart
01-09-2006, 12:52 PM
If Chevy came out with a 1970 Chevelle SS, I'd buy it.

Scott Donley
01-09-2006, 1:11 PM
Anyone seen this?

It's due for release in 3 years I think. Takes me back. :)I wonder if it will come with the six-pack option !

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 1:28 PM
Here's a link that features more pics... http://cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?vehicletype=concept&autoshowyear=2006&vehicle=concept_dodge_challenger&aff=national

Alex Berkovsky
01-09-2006, 1:53 PM
Sweet looking concept. Reminds me of the movie "Vanishing Point" with Barry Newman.

Anthony Anderson
01-09-2006, 2:07 PM
Here's a link that features more pics... http://cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?vehicletype=concept&autoshowyear=2006&vehicle=concept_dodge_challenger&aff=national

Thanks Jim, The Challenger looks incredible. I was also too young to own a new 1970 Challenger. Mine was about 16 years old at the time I owned it. But they were still to be found at a reasonable price then:D . I think few people envisioned that they would grow astronmically in price (Notice I did not say 'value'). Now most are out of the price range of the average erson when you weigh practical value+price point:confused: . The new muscle cars change all of that. Can't wait for the Challenger to hit the market. They better hurry and get it into production before this trend cools off. Maybe it will be hot for a long time to come. I can only hope:rolleyes: . The pic posted of the concept Camaro was the one I saw this morning. Later, Bill

Lee DeRaud
01-09-2006, 2:35 PM
I wonder if it will come with the six-pack option !Um, yeah, well, all things considered, I'll take the fuel injection the Hemi has now: stays in tune more than a week at a time, unlike the original.

But hey, you can always turn some velocity stacks on the lathe and hot-glue them to the hood.:p

Scott Donley
01-09-2006, 2:57 PM
Um, yeah, well, all things considered, I'll take the fuel injection the Hemi has now: stays in tune more than a week at a time, unlike the original.

But hey, you can always turn some velocity stacks on the lathe and hot-glue them to the hood.:pJust not the same as seeing that scoop pop up when you stepped on it. Very cool at the time !

JayStPeter
01-09-2006, 3:37 PM
Hopefully Chrysler will step out of their current practice and actually keep the manual transmission with the Hemi on that one. I love the 70s Challenger/Cudas. If they manage to stick to the concept and don't mess up the lines in production, I'll have a hard time staying away. Three to five years is just about the time I'll be looking to get myself a new car anyway. I'll keep my truck as a beater.

Jay

Allan Johanson
01-09-2006, 3:40 PM
These new cars are bad. Keeps me thinking about spending lots of money. :D

Jim B: Dodge Dart, eh? Same here. 1973 Dart with the 318 V8 was my first car. Nothing like a V8 with a crummy suspension under it. :eek:

Nowadays I'm torn between a go-kart like the Lotus Elise and something outrageous like a Ford GT. But not being able to afford the Ford GT makes things a little easier. :p Until I heard about the 2007 Ford GT500....

Allan

Jim Becker
01-09-2006, 5:15 PM
Allan, mine was the 2-door Dart (gold) with the straight 6...real workhorse engine. It was my 21st birthday present from the 'rents and I was in the closing years of my Penn State tenure. I turned 16 in 1973...'drove my mother's various cars when it was necessary for summer jobs, etc.
-----

Now most are out of the price range of the average erson when you weigh practical value+price point:confused: . The new muscle cars change all of that.
The only change is that many of us are, in theory, better able to afford the new ones, but they are certainly not going to be inexpensive...which in many ways they were back in the 1970s.

Mark Cothren
01-09-2006, 7:32 PM

John, I'm with ya... my very first set of wheels was in 1981. My folks gave me a 1971 Chevelle Malibu (2-dr hrdtp w/ black vinyl top). It only had the 307 in it, but it sure was a sweet lookin' ride. One of a few cars I've had thru the years that I now wish I had back. I also had a '69 Camaro.

The new ones, while kinda neat, just don't do it for me.

Andy Hoyt
01-09-2006, 7:47 PM
My first set of wheels was a 1957 VW ragtop. No second gear, no heat, no exterior lights of any kind, awesome tube radio.

Man could that thing go in the snow, especially at night!

John Miliunas
01-09-2006, 7:57 PM
Glad to see Mopar naming a car, which actually looks like the car we're expecting to see! Get a load of their present day "Charger"??? What a joke! I love those 70's Challengers/Cuda's as well as the real Chargers! A retro Camaro/Firebird would be too cool, as well. :) As for the powerplants, not sure one needs a 6-pack anymore. I saw an interesting comparison a few years ago between a late model 'Vette and and an early model, built big-block rated at about a guzzillion HP. The new one out-handled, beat it off the line, took top end honors and did all of it getting mid-20's for MPG!!!! I think the big-block averaged right around 12mpg!!!:D :cool:

Jerry Clark
01-09-2006, 9:32 PM
Now my first real car was a 57 BelAir 2 door hard top with 270 HP dual quads- three speed transmission-- red outside and red inside-- cost about $2,250.:cool: Boy did I have fun --:rolleyes:

Kent Cori
01-09-2006, 9:35 PM
I'd buy that Challenger in a New York second!

Jim Young
01-09-2006, 9:51 PM
My first real car bought in 1983...
http://www.simoli.net/images/Automobiles/past%20vehicles/chevelle1back.jpg

Steve Ash
01-09-2006, 10:00 PM

I'll tease you with my 1969 SS :cool:

Steve Ash
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Jim Young...I didn't see your 1969 SS before I posted mine...geez they look like twins...the colors look real close.

John Pollman
01-09-2006, 10:06 PM
That Challenger looks SWEET !

But I love that Camaro. I can't wait to see one when they hit the showroom floor.

John Hart
01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Jim and Steve....you make me sick.:D

My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS. I loved that car. Sure was a long time ago....Or maybe it was yesterday.:)

Allan Johanson
01-10-2006, 2:39 AM
Allan, mine was the 2-door Dart (gold) with the...

Same here! I still have some of the gold spray paint around here even though I got rid of the car eons ago. I put some KYB Gas-adjust shocks on it and had the rear leaf springs redone with an extra leaf put in it. Also stuffed the biggest tires I could get onto it.

Yeah, I was one of *those* kids. :D

I can appreciate the classics for what they were no matter what the make. There were some pretty sweet rides back then.

Allan

Vaughn McMillan
01-10-2006, 4:28 AM
...Has anyone here purchased any of the new "classic" cars? Mustang, Charger? Will anyone buy the concept Camaro or Challenger if/when it is built? Just curious. Regards, Bill
A former co-worker of mine moonlighted as an auto reviewer for several magazines, so nearly every week he had a different car to drive (often with Michigan plates, here in California). He had the new Mustang for about a week and a half -- prior to the public release -- and seemed impressed with the car overall. He was generally not much of a Ford fan, but the new Mustang really caught his attention. (I had a '67 for part of my high school years, and have always liked that era of body style.)

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
01-10-2006, 7:20 AM
Being a car guy first, I'd have to say I like the looks of the retro challenger. If they make it, it'll be a hit. I guess they didn't do the charger because they already slapped the name on a re-faced 300. Also can you imagine how many orange retro chargers would be sporting a big 01 on their doors if Chrysler had decided to build them!?

I like the retro styling that has been introduced over the last 10 years or so. I am not sure if Chevrolet was going for the retro look with the Camaro or not. If they were, It looks to me like they missed the mark. It might be nice looking car but I don't see enough of the old Camaro in there. Maybe I need to see more pictures.
BTW, I'm still waiting for GM to do a retro Corvair. but I'm a bit biased, I still have one in my garage ('64 Corvair 95 van).

My only regret in my car history was not being able to come up with the $3500 to buy the '57 Nomad wagon in the late 70's. I knew at the time that it would appreciate tremendously.

Steve Ash
01-10-2006, 7:36 AM
Steve....you make me sick.:D

John, I could give you a ride in the old grocery getter if it would make you feel better.:cool:

John Hart
01-10-2006, 7:41 AM
John, I could give you a ride in the old grocery getter if it would make you feel better.:cool:

It might Steve. It might. 'Course then, if you let me give YOU a ride in it would make me feel even better!!!! :D ;)

Jim Becker
01-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Same here!

I was going to have it painted purple and get those white wheels that were popular at the time...but that would have required money that I didn't have. The only things I did to it were add a cassette deck and "real" speakers as well as a CB radio...remember those? :)

John Miliunas
01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
as well as a CB radio...remember those? :)

10-4 good buddy! Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. We'll see 'ya on the flip-flop.:D :cool:

Jim Becker
01-10-2006, 1:36 PM
I don't got no stinkin' greasy side...I hope.

Wes Bischel
01-10-2006, 5:52 PM
I don't got no stinkin' greasy side...I hope.

But Jim, I thought you said you used to have a Dart with a slant 6 - isn't the greasy side mandatory for a slant 6!?:D

Chuck Wintle
01-10-2006, 5:57 PM
Here you go Jim - another nice family car!
I like the Camaro conecpt car! I would buy it.

Jim Becker
01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
But Jim, I thought you said you used to have a Dart with a slant 6 - isn't the greasy side mandatory for a slant 6!?
'You expect me to remember that far back??? We're talking late 1970s here. Oh, ok...my hair was probably about the same length, but certainly was farther forward on my head at the time. And it was always clean. 'Never did use that "greasy kid stuff", or so the commercial went.

That old Dart would be laughing at me now, however...being a two-hybrid household at this point. :p
------

Charles, for some reason, I don't like what Chevy did to the grill/front end of that Camaro concept. I'd really prefer it to be more retro like the Mustang and Challenger. Personal preference, however...

Wes Bischel
01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
'You expect me to remember that far back??? We're talking late 1970s here. Oh, ok...my hair was probably about the same length, but certainly was farther forward on my head at the time. And it was always clean. 'Never did use that "greasy kid stuff", or so the commercial went.

Actually, "greasy side down" references the bottom of the car!:D The slant 6s I am familiar with leaked more fluids than they used - hence the greasy side. Now if we were referring to a '50's lead sled, then I would inquire about the appropriate hair grease and duck tail.:D

Wes

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Actually, "greasy side down" references the bottom of the car!:D Looks like he's got the "shiny side up" thing working pretty good though.:p

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 8:15 AM
Wes, that Dart never used oil when I owned it. It was relatively low mileage and I had to deal with zero mechanical problems...which was good for two reasons. 1) I didn't know how to deal with them and 2) I had no money. ;)

tod evans
01-11-2006, 8:17 AM
Looks like he's got the "shiny side up" thing working pretty good though.:p

i resemble that remark!

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 8:22 AM
Actually, "greasy side down" references the bottom of the car!:D The slant 6s I am familiar with leaked more fluids than they used - hence the greasy side. Now if we were referring to a '50's lead sled, then I would inquire about the appropriate hair grease and duck tail.:D

Wes

Hmmm...I knew a few folks with the Slant-6 and they certainly didn't leak any worse than the small-block Chev's or most of the Fords back then. I think they all leaked to a very certain degree. One thing on those Slant-6's, though: As long as you kept fluid levels up to par (even w/o changing them!!!), that dang motor was virtually bullet-proof!!!:D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I had a 67 valiant ragtop slant six. With push button automatic transmission on the dash. A very sweet car.

JayStPeter
01-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Sheesh ... my first car was a '75 Vega station wagon. Can you say chick magnet?:rolleyes: It did look like I was doing a burnout when I left a stoplight though.

tod evans
01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Sheesh ... my first car was a '75 Vega station wagon. Can you say chick magnet?:rolleyes: It did look like I was doing a burnout when I left a stoplight though.

i did one of the 350/hooker conversions to a vega in school.....quick way to eat a vega rear end, but lotsa fun:)

Mark Ebert
01-11-2006, 8:37 PM
After seeing this new Challenger, I've already started saving my pennies for when they are released. I currently have a '72 Cuda (see photo below) and a next generation challenger would be the perfect companion to it.:D
http://home.comcast.net/~cuda72/mecuda.jpg

Chris Padilla
01-11-2006, 9:27 PM
Well, believe it or not, I had a '69 Firebird as my first car. I sure miss it but now I'm all messed up on European Iron! LOL....

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 9:30 PM
John M. and I worked with a moparhead who was offered a shaker for 5K ‘cuz he could do it justice. He did the right things with it and got a bunch of firsts.
He sold it when he built his house. Prolly made his down payment with it too.

Frank

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 9:58 PM
Wow, Mark!!! That Cuda is trick!!! Beautiful car. :D :cool:

Wes Bischel
01-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Hmmm...I knew a few folks with the Slant-6 and they certainly didn't leak any worse than the small-block Chev's or most of the Fords back then. I think they all leaked to a very certain degree. One thing on those Slant-6's, though: As long as you kept fluid levels up to par (even w/o changing them!!!), that dang motor was virtually bullet-proof!!!:D :cool:

Yeah, now that I think of it the people I knew with slant 6's, were either very old, or very young - and most were higher mile engines. Most notably one neighbor was a cabbie. I think he had a Polaris with a 6 - turned over the odometer the third time just before he retired.:eek: That car was so loose it looked like the slinky dog going down the road.:D

But hey, I had a Ford Maverick for a first car - and the second (with the good parts from the first added to it) - and my third car was a - oh, you get the picture.:o