PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening the Stanley #78

Ned Mcbee
04-29-2021, 4:12 PM
I'm looking for a reliable way to sharpen this blade.
Leonard Lee's book isn't much help other than emphasizing the need for a squared up blade.
I didn't see anything by Hock either.

I acquired one a couple years ago but only used it a few times. IIRC I sharpened it sort of freehand(?) with a curved bevel (sort of like Paul Sellers' does) followed with a strop.

I like doing my sharpening using a honing guide and repeatable angles.

Neither the Lie Nielsen honing guide (standard jaws) or an Eclipse (clone) seems to work with this blade shape and dimension. What sort of honing guide, or workaround, are you using to sharpen this blade?
Also, what's the angle of your primary and secondary bevel?

I've been getting more time in with this plane recently and now having learned more about its quirks I've attained a greater degree of control over the way it cuts and am more confident in my ability to obtain square rabbets ... so its becoming a joy to use. Yes it clogs with accordion shaped shavings frequency, but it also makes a nice sound as it cuts. Further it provides a unique function that I cannot easily see mirrored by power tools like for example making subtle nuanced changes to the depth of cut along a rabbet.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

Rafael Herrera
04-29-2021, 4:39 PM
Unless you severely distort the bevel or skew the iron edge with respect to the sides, freehand sharpening is all you need. You have some leeway in bevel angle and skewness to keep the plane working, the trick it to correct these errors in your routine sharpening before they become a problem.

Richard Line
04-29-2021, 5:38 PM
Regarding your accordion shaped shavings, I had the trouble for too long with my 78. I stumbled on a U-tube video for tuning the 78. It particularly applied to newer 78's. There are several bits of tuning of the shape of the blade's cap iron to catch and guide the shavings off to the side. I also had to do some reshaping of my iron and the body around the side opening so that it fit correctly. Made a world of difference in the performance. Sorry, I don't have the link to that video, but a search on 'tuning #78 plane' or similar wording should turn it up.

Ned Mcbee
04-30-2021, 3:39 PM
the trick it to correct these errors in your routine sharpening before they become a problem.

Thus the preference for a honing guide!

Ned Mcbee
04-30-2021, 3:41 PM
There are several bits of tuning of the shape of the blade's cap iron to catch and guide the shavings off to the side. I also had to do some reshaping of my iron and the body around the side opening so that it fit correctly. Made a world of difference in the performance. Sorry, I don't have the link to that video, but a search on 'tuning #78 plane' or similar wording should turn it up.

Mine is pretty old.
I read something by Paul Sellers about modification to the cap iron but the accompanying pic wasn't esp. illustrative.

Harold Patterson
05-01-2021, 11:38 PM
The new Lee Valley short blade guide will handle it very well.

Jim Koepke
05-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Mine is pretty old.
I read something by Paul Sellers about modification to the cap iron but the accompanying pic wasn't esp. illustrative.

Yes it clogs with accordion shaped shavings frequency, but it also makes a nice sound as it cuts.

This can be caused by many different things. Overly thick shavings can be a cause of this. The lever/cap iron, as stated by others, can do this by catching the shaving instead of diverting it.

Try taking a shaving real slow to see how and/or where the shaving is catching and turning in to an accordion.

An old post of mine > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242156 < is on wooden body planes but they can also make accordion shavings for the same reason. The correction for the problem, of course, will be different but this can provide ideas of what you are looking to find.

Being a non-paying member you will not be able to see the images. Becoming a contributor for $6 is worth it.

My blade sharpening is mostly done freehand. My power sharpening system is the Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/sharpening/power-systems/48435-veritas-mk-ii-power-sharpening-system?item=05M3101). (BTW, click on the bold blue underlined text) The tool holders for this can be purchased separately. Many years ago, for a hand sharpening holder, my solution was to make a roller to work with one of these. They can hold the odd blades like those on the Stanley #78.

jtk