PDA

View Full Version : Hot hide glue pot alternative? (none available for purchase..)

andrew whicker
04-28-2021, 3:53 PM
Title says it all. Looking for a reliable way to heat hide glue.

Bought a wax heating thing from Amazon and (big surprise) it's a piece of poo.

Lee valley has a pot but it's super small. (1 FL Oz)

Mike Henderson
04-28-2021, 4:54 PM
Are you looking to purchase a Hold Heet pot from someone or are you just looking for an alternative?

Mike

andrew whicker
04-28-2021, 5:25 PM
I would buy a hold heet, it looks like they are not available.

Is there an alternative?

Mel Fulks
04-28-2021, 7:18 PM
Crock pots , I think some of them have temp lines and numbers ; and some just warm....etc. A cooking thermometer will work. After the
everybody must have a crock pot craze they were going for 3 to 5 bucks at yard sales.

Mel Fulks
04-28-2021, 7:27 PM
Target has them on sale NOW !! ,for $14 dollars!. Since most of the crock pots are large ,you will probably want to use it like a “double boiler”.

Tom M King
04-28-2021, 7:36 PM
Search on ebay for "wax warmer". I bought one for something like 14 bucks, with free shipping, and it's been working fine for several years. They have a lift out "pot" in them.

Paul Saffold
04-29-2021, 7:27 AM
I use a baby food warmer. Use a cooking thermometer once to find the setting for the temp you want. Make sure you get one that does not have an automatic shutoff. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LJ64JR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2021, 8:20 AM
I use a little crock pot in the rare event that I use hide glue. Works fine.

Wayne Cannon
04-29-2021, 8:26 AM
I use a Rival brand thermostatically-controlled "hot pot" I got for $8. They are on EBay fir $10-$15. Glue jar is in a water bath. I cut a hole in the plastic lid for the glue-brush's handle.

Thomas McCurnin
04-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Coffee cup warming tray/device works too.

Bill Dufour
04-29-2021, 5:59 PM
They make little crock pots to heat smelly liquids to stink up the house for aroma therapy.
Bill D

Charles Taylor
04-30-2021, 6:47 AM
While I wouldn’t refuse a Hold Heet pot that fell into my lap, the miniature crock pot as a double boiler has done well for me, especially since it came to me free. I rigged up a dimmer control to help keep the water bath at the right temperature.

andrew whicker
04-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to use hide glue for now for a line of speaker boxes, so I'd like the real thing vs a wonky setup.

joe maday
04-30-2021, 11:32 PM
They are out there, I found a 220v International Hold Heet glue pot from a music supply...then purchased an adapter, works fine....(could also replace the plug end to fit USA 220v outlets). There is also a Hold Heet pot and glue on ebay right now....$227so far.........and just for more information a company in NJ.... WAAGE they have heavy duty adjustable 1pt, 1Qt and up glue pots but $300+....so there are choices before settling for crock pots or hot plates.

Mel Fulks
05-01-2021, 1:23 AM
I don’t see how using a crock pot is settling, they are much like the glue pots. But with the tax code maze, it might be possible for some to
save money by buying new. Many here have seen guys set up shops with all new expensive stuff, most of those guys don’t become
successful. But some don’t go bankrupt !

Charles Taylor
05-01-2021, 8:06 AM
There's always the old-school way. Here's an example from a *Bay listing.

Doug Dawson
05-01-2021, 4:54 PM
Title says it all. Looking for a reliable way to heat hide glue.

Bought a wax heating thing from Amazon and (big surprise) it's a piece of poo.

Lee valley has a pot but it's super small. (1 FL Oz)If you have a sous vide setup, you might try using it for this purpose. Really good temperature control, probably better than a cheap crockpot.

mike stenson
05-03-2021, 10:56 AM
Almost 20 years of using the same cheap, small crock pot. Settling indeed.

Charles Taylor
05-04-2021, 2:33 PM
I hope the OP was the first to see Mike Henderson's ad in the SMC Classifieds, since he seemed to be set on a Hold Heet pot. He wasn't the first one to reply, though...

Mike Henderson
05-04-2021, 3:23 PM
I hope the OP was the first to see Mike Henderson's ad in the SMC Classifieds, since he seemed to be set on a Hold Heet pot. He wasn't the first one to reply, though...

I offered it to Andrew first, before posting.

Mike